close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Computer (router) quesion

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by paynter2, Jan 23, 2010.

1. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I need a wireless router for home use. I want to hard wire one (desk top) box to the router and use wireless for the laptop.

What should I look for in a wireless router? I've read enough to know I want 'N'.

I also need to hard wire the desk top - what should I look for in the router specs to ensure I can run at least one hard wire from router to box? Maybe all wireless routers have hard ports out? But, what terminology do I look for to ensure this function?

Lastly - do all routers provide hard firewall protection?

Thanks. :wavey:

2. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

If you just want to surf the Internet you don't necessarily need 802.11N. 802.11G WiFi is up to 54Mbs (megabits per second), likely to be much faster than your Internet connection. Also, are you sure your laptop supports 802.11N? If not you will need an adapter for it.

All routers have Ethernet ports so you should be good there. Pretty much all recent desktop computers also have Ethernet adapters but you might want to check and see if yours does.

Most routers today are also firewalls. You want to look for Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Network Address Translation (NAT) to ensure your router has firewall capability.

3. NickC50310

NickC50310

Baldy is right on! Also, go with Netgear or Linksys.

4. Resqu2

Resqu2

I'm running a Netgear and choose N just because of the range, not necessarily speed, I have a two story house and the N does better than anything else I have tried in the past.

5. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

Dlink DIR-655 Extreme N Router and don't look back. Linksys has gone to complete crap since Cisco bought them. I had the top of the line N router from Linksys and it constantly had to be reset. Since then I bought the Dlink and it has not been reset or powered off since I bought it 5 or so months ago.

No you don't necessarily need the N range, since your computer may not be able to use the full capability. But it has the greatest range and best security. In my house we have 4 laptops, 1 desktop, 360, Wii, PS3, and Iphone all on the network with no problems.

Also the Dlink is backwards compatible so you don't need to buy a bunch of adapters for your computer to pick up the wireless g signal.

6. ThePhoneGuy

ThePhoneGuy

When Comcast did their last upgrade here I could not stay synched up. I called tech support and they asked what router I was using. I said Linksys and she said "Oh.........." I asked what was wrong with that? All I could get was "nothing, nothing". I immediately bought a Dlink and have had no other problems.

7. paynter2

Thanks for the help guys.

Do you ever worry about neighbors tapping your wireless with and N router?

8. whitetiger7653

If my neighbors can find a way in my N router, I would probably pay them. My security code is three lines long on a normal piece of writing paper, and it's just random letters and numbers. One time a friend came over with their laptop and asked me for the password. I just laughed. They didn't know what was so funny until I told them I didn't know and showed them the paper.

9. jlprtr

jlprtr CLM

Yes. Unless you go into the utilities and secure it with passwords, etc. Any wireless router can be used by drive-bys if not secured.

I have an N Lynksis and would not buy another one, as it took me forever to get it stabilized. However, if I have to reboot my laptop I also have to go through some trouble and time to get reconnected.

As research, go to the maker's website and peruse the forums to find out about problems with the different models and what hoops you need to jump to rectify them. With my Lynksis model, the prevalent problem is connection stability. Wish I had done my homework first. :crying:

10. whitetiger7653

This is a good idea and did that prior to buying the dlink. One suggestion though when doing this. Tread lightly on weighing these problems when deciding which to buy. I found on some of the forums these were people who had specific problems since they were either modifying the hardware/software or had extremely demanding needs.

I picked the Dlink since it had the best reviews of all the routers. It never really made it to the top 1 or 2 in magazines but always in top 5. It is just so stable I'll never go back to Linksys. This is coming from a linksys user for the past 10 or so years.

11. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Because of the extended range there may be a slightly higher chance of having your WiFi network compromised.

Most people today are aware of the need for some security on a WiFi network.

Also understand that any WiFi network can be cracked if someone with enough skill and determination wants to get into it.

If you:

Change the router password to something meaningful to you alone.

Change the SSID to something different than the default.

Disable SSID broadcasting.

Implement the highest secruity protocol supported by the router and attached devices, usually WPA/WPA2

Enable MAC address filtering.

You will have made your WiFi about as secure as it can be and be safe from most script-kiddies and wardrivers.

12. paynter2

What would you get next time?

What is the distance a neighbor can access your wireless?

13. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

For home:
    If you setup even the basic encryption, you should have no problem with neighbors hacking into your system.

For Office:
    If you are an office and are doing something I want into your world and running wireless, I can and will get in. It is just a matter of time.:wavey:

14. whitetiger7653

I can pick up mine on our street and to the back fence. Which is a good distance since we have a large front and back yard.

15. Figurelli

Figurelli

As someone has already said I would advise against a linksys. I've have nothin but trouble out of mine.

You also want to be sure that whatever wireless devices you will be using have wireless N as well because if not the router will only be as good as the device it's communicating with. If you have G in a laptop it won't help that the N network can reach 59234 feet (made up) when your G card can only communicate half as far. Your laptop would theoretically be able to receive the signal but won't be able to communicate back because it is less powerful. The router wouldn't even be utilizing the N capabilities. Buying N when you only have B or G devices would be a waste of money unless you plan to upgrade the other elements of your network as well.

16. boozer

boozer

I am very satisfied with my Dlink DIR-655 also. It does work better standing up in its little cradle than it did laying flat. Runs cooler, maybe? I also wanted Gigabit Ethernet, really moves those files to my NAS.

17. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Make sure the router and your modem are "bridged". It REALLY speeds up the connection. You have to Google your model of modem and router to see how to bridge them together.

18. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Google "wireless security". Make sure your network is secure. One simple thing a lot of people forget is to limit the connections. Say you have two laptops on your network. Set up your router to ONLY allow TWO connections. That way, an extra laptop, say in the car in your driveway {it happened}, can't get connected.