close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Computer Renaissance rant

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pesticidal, Dec 20, 2006.

1. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

I have a 2 year old Toshiba laptop that the power plug got loose on, so I brought it to Computer Renaissance to get it fixed. They have a $39.00 diagnostic fee, which I paid. I got a call a short time later saying that the problem was a "board level repair" and it would be $299.00 to fix. I told them that was probably more than the laptop was worth, so I picked it up.

When I got it back to my office, it was fairly evident that the case had not been opened. I figured they just looked up the model number of the computer and gave me a pat answer for the repair.

I went on line and found some information on the computer and found out that this model has indeed had a lot of problems with the power connection. I also found a step-by step guide on how to take it apart, which I did. Then I called back Computer Renaissance and asked them how much it would be to replace the socket if I brought the board in. Their answer was $299.00....

:upeyes: :upeyes: :upeyes:

I'll drop it off at a TV shop I'd had good luck with in the past. I might even have them put the connector on a wire to lessen the strain on the board.

2. Cassius

Cassius

Computer diagnostic/repair places are no better than auto mechanics. They assume their customers know so little that they won't know they're being ripped off.

The thing is, with auto mechanics, there's still a few customers that come in and call them on their BS. With computer places, all the people who could see the BS just do the work themselves and so they never get called on it because they only have ignorant (not stupid, but ignorant) customers who don't know enough to call them on it.

With cars, even the smart guys use mechanics when the job is big enough that they don't want to spend the time/effort. With computers there are no jobs that big so the computer guys just do it themselves, and the ignorant masses have no recourse but to pray they don't get ****ed over by the repair places.

Moral of the story? Get a family computer guru like you have a family mechanic. Then you won't be ripped off.

I know, it's not easy to find one. I'm a computer guy myself, but I'm still looking for a good auto mechanic that I can trust =(

3. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

I can get around the insides of a computer well enough. I just really suck at soldering. I did bring it to a TV shop. I got it there about 4:50 pm. At 8:30 the next morning, they called and said it was done. When I went to pick it up, I was presented with a total invoice of $12.50. :shocked:

Man, they work cheap....

And I was able to get the laptop back together with no missing or extra screws.
    :banana:

4. Guod

Guod

Very true. I am pretty good with computer stuff, and decent with car repair stuff. That said, with car repairs, some stuff is just not worth the time and effort, but I do know if I am getting ripped off on the job, and shop around appropriately. I would NEVER take a computer to someone else and pay to have it repaired.

So yes, CR will never get called on their bull.