Computer registry

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M&P Shooter, Feb 2, 2010.

1. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Are registry cleaner programs good and if so which one is the best? I'm looking to speed up my PC. I just tweaked my Firefox through the "about:config" menu and added browser memory in options to 16MB and I see a nice difference but I want more:supergrin:
    I'm running a AMD 64-Bit dual with Windows Vista 64-Bit 8 Meg DDR3 600 Gig HD and I'm running Norton Internet Security 2010

For you guys that want a faster browser please follow this, I did and it made a big difference with my Firefox
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/speed-up-firefox-web-browser.html

2. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

3. MidWestShooter

MidWestShooter

I use Ccleaner. But keep in mind that the program has no discretion. You'll need to filter through the results and make sure whats checked to be cleaned is needed. It gives you the option to backup registry before you clean, so that helps too.

Are you having issues with certain programs?

4. Adjuster

Adjuster

I have never ran a registry cleaner that did not cause me some kind of issue. I have tried a few of the programs and always something goes wrong. One issue is I run some proprietary very expensive software that I pay a license for. Every cleaner I have used has erased my licensing and I have to contact the software companies and convince them I am not trying to rip them off or screw them over in some way and get a new license.

5. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

I survive by this motto, "LEAVE THE REGISTRY ALONE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU"RE DOING!" :supergrin:

That is one of the easiest ways to trash Windows.

Unless I have a specific reason to modify the registry, I stay out of it! :wavey:

6. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

hmmm ... if only this board had a sub-forum specifically dedicated to computer questions ...

To answer your question, no, registry cleaners are not a good product. They are often carelessly indiscriminate and a great way to hose up a perfectly good Wndoze install.

If you have a very specific reason to enter the registry and delete a key, then do so. If you have a very specific reason to enter the registry and change a key's value, then do so. If you are trying to get more "performance" out of your machine by tweaking very specific values in the registry (and there are a plethora of ways to do it) then do so.

Don't, under any circumstances, allow a program to go in a recursively delete a bunch of "lowest common denominator" values in an attempt to "refresh" your Windoze installation and eek a bit more zing out of your PC.

It's a bad idea to alter the registry if you're unsure of what those values actually control in the Windoze environment. Best case scenario is you don't break the machine ... worst case scenario is the machine appears unbroken and is fundamentally compromised because of an errant setting. Other scenarios run the gamut from a destroyed OS to nothing in particular happening at all.

The registry is much like an automobile's electrical system: If you're not sure how it works, it's best to leave it well alone.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  7. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

You want to see a DEA agent shoot himself in the foot?

8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

9. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

You meant 8GB, right? :cool: ;)

11. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

LOL:rofl: Yes

12. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Also, this is a symptom of slow computers I see constantly.

Find an anti-virus product that doesn't have such a huge footprint. Nod32, Avast, Vipre, Kaspersky are all good AV products which won't make your PC feel like it's 3 years old the moment you install them. I can't say anything good about Symantec/Norton products.

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

For someone who's been in the business 15+ years, I'm surprised you can't find anything good to say about (for example,) Symantec Endpoint 11, or their other legacy Coporate Antivirus (10, 9...etc), Brightmail, etc etc.
    :headscratch:

Or are you simply not exposed to that side of their world? Virtually every tech person knows the home stuff is bloated crap, and directs even home users to the coporate stuff.

'Drew

14. Walt408

Walt408

My computer was running slower and slower and I finally bit the bullet and reloaded the operating system (Win XP, SP3). I have good backups, and did a fresh one. I made a list of other software (antivirus, win office, adobe, ...) that I would have to load.

I selected the option to format the C drive and loaded the OS. Next I performed the OS updates and loaded other software.

It was a bit of a pain, however my system performs beautifully; it is fast again.

15. kymarkh

kymarkh

Try Ccleaner first.

How old/bloated is your Vista install? A fresh install might be in order.

16. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

If you show me a user posting in this forum who's running SEP11 or Brightmail, on their home PC, I'll kiss your butt in Macy's window. :tongueout:

The declarative statement I made was directed specifically to the product (and family) we were discussing in this thread. Had we been bantering about enterprise level software I would have made an entirely different assesment.

I try, very hard, not to muddy technology answers with extraneous information. Most people have enough trouble grasping the concepts they're asking about without introducing points that have no bearing (other than academic) on the discussion.

But, you have an excellenet point. When he sets up a managed domain with multiple dozens of users I would whole-heartedly recommend SEP11 over Nod32.:tongueout:

Also, Nod32 for home users is my standby answer for a couple of reasons, not the least of which that updates are pushed, not pulled. And, it's effective and inexpensive. I can get a 3 seat license for Nod32 for about the same price as one seat for SEP 11 or 12

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  17. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

The best Windows registry cleaner is Ubuntu. :supergrin:

18. pmcjury

pmcjury

If the pc is slowing down I would recommend the following

1. Backup your computer. (or if you are feeling adventurous you can visualize the computer, and save the files to an external drive)
    2. Reinstall windows
    3. Install all the software you need. (but the other guys are right, fine something other then norton for your AV)

19. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Well played, sir.

:tongueout:

20. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

With respect, you might want to take a fresh look at Symantec 2010 - it's very light on resources. It bopps along using between 0 and 3% of the CPU and not a lot of RAM either.