computer probs, need help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by anchoryanker23, Sep 14, 2005.

1. anchoryanker23

anchoryanker23 Huh?

my computer's been actin funny, it locks up now and half the time i get the message

"the instruction at 0x000d1ec3(varies) referenced memory at oxd38e8090(varies also) could not be'written'(sometimes 'read')"

then i get a 1 minute countdown until it shuts down. the message when shuting down says windows/system32/lsass.exe and status code 128. any ideas?

2. Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS Typical Gun Nut Millennium Member

lsass.exe refers to Local Security Authority Service, but it sounds to me that you could have a virus or other creepy crawly on your pc.

No other real information other than scan your hard drive with a good virus scanner (I use Norton Anti-Virus, it does pretty good, can get a 30 day demo), and search the hard drive for lsass.exe and delete it if you are sure it isn't the REAL lsass.exe (best not to monkey with that if you don't know what you are looking for).

Also trying killing that process in task manager, if you are able to kill it, might not be the "friendly" lsass...

3. anchoryanker23

anchoryanker23 Huh?

i've reinstalled several times, still have the same problem. was reinstalling from the recovery partition, then burned it to dvd and tried 2 more times, still the same problem. could windows have been infected itself before i burned it to disc? also, norton didnt find anything.

eta: did destructive reformat and install, have windows XP sp2. no change.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Try running a Housecall scan.

It is what I use as a second opinion.

Good luck.

PS. DLoad and put MemTestx86 on a floppy, then reboot to run it. See if it isn't a RAM problem.

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

try running chkdsk
    (start -> programs -> accessories -> command prompt -> "chkdsk /f")

may be hardware:
    hard drive, RAM, or powersupply.

as stated above, memtest86 is the RAM checking program.

6. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

OK, run the trendmincro.com scanner. Then go to sarc.com and run that scanner as well. It will tell you if you have been infected. If your not, then run check disk. However,I'd do it differently than posted above. Put in your system disk for recovery. The first screen when it asks you what you want to do. Choose "R" for repair. Once it goes to command prompt, sometimes it asks what files you want to repair. Choose windows. Then when your at the windows prompt. The type "chkdsk /r . Once its done, which it will take a while. You can type "fixboot" and "fixmbr" If these don't work. I suggest finding a DFT scanner. (Drive failure test) Your hard may be going bad. But, I hope you have backed up your data. Oh, and find a motherboard monitor and check voltages and temps.This could indicate a problem.Good luck ;)