close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

computer printer question?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by boatman1, Feb 1, 2010.

1. boatman1

boatman1

I have a computer with a wired connection to a HP office jet J4680 printer which is a wireless printer. I just bought a new laptop and have wireless connection to the router and I would like to have a wireless connection to the same J4680 printer.

Question is this- Can I have a wired connection from one computer and a wireless connection from another computer to this same printer? Tried HP customer support but I was just put on hold forever.

Thanks

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Sure you can.

My Officejet shows up like any other wireless device. Just connect up to it. Make sure the wireless x-mitter on the printer is on, and you should have no problems hooking up to it.

3. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    ...I'll get back to you shortly.

4. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

It sounds like your best bet is to uninstall it from your computer and disconnect the USB cable. Next run the install CD on the desktop to create a wireless connection to the printer. You will need to know the WiFi's SSID name and what, if any, security and encryption you are using. When that's successful do the same on the laptop.

5. handyman

handyman

Something funny a friend just got a wireless one, in the instructions it says "we recommend to hook it up with the cable and not wireless".:faint:

6. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

7. Drjones

Drjones

Yes, you sure can. It's easy. First thing you should do is install the software that came with the printer on your laptop and see if it finds the printer automatically - it should.

If not, here's what you do:

Enable file & printer sharing on BOTH computers. Keep both computers and your printer on during this whole process below.

Check the properties of your printer on the computer that's already connected to it and make sure the printer is shared.

Now, install the printer software on your laptop. When you come to the part where it tells you to plug your printer into your laptop, you have 5 seconds until your laptop self-destructs. Put it down and run like hell.

Just kidding. :supergrin:

You should be able to "skip" that part or complete it later or something. The software should finish installing.

Then, go to "add a new printer" on your laptop, and select the option to "add a network printer." If you browse for it, it may show up, but the easiest thing to do is dive into the printer's menu and make it print out a configuration page - on that page will be the printers' address, should look something like: \\hpprinter\4600 or similar.

One caveat is if you have to install it using this second method, your other computer will have to be turned on in order for you to print, since what you did is "share" it with your laptop, so it gets daisy chained through, if that makes sense.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  8. Drjones

Drjones

That may just be for the first-time setup, then you can use it wirelessly after that..... ;)