close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Computer people...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DaleGribble, Aug 31, 2006.

1. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Tell me about Dell!

Are they still giving good service, what about the quality?

I'm looking at a Dimension E310 P4. Specs are as follows, 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz -2DIMMs, Intel Pentium 4 Processor 524 w/HT Technology (3.06GHz,533FSB) and XP Media Center 2005 Edition.

Out the door with a few more small accessories is $579 w/o a monitor. Is that a relatively good deal or will I be getting bent over?

This comp will basically be just an internet machine and doing a little bit of stuff with some digital photos, nothing major, just pics of the family, pets and guns. No vidoe making or anything like that. My wife is doing online courses and the Windows ME machine with 128mb memory is starting to act up.

I'm basically illiterate when it comes to computers, so make my decision for me! :supergrin:

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Reference Romadoc's thread thats running right now.

Dell used to have a stellar reputation, and its who I'd recommend if someone couldn't/wouldn't build their own. Here lately though, there have been repeated complaints about their PC's, service, quality, etc. It just doesn't sound good.

As per the suggestions in RomaDocs' thread..., I'd either build it yourself(its not hard), or go to a couple local PC shops, and see what they are selling systems they've built, and make a decision. You'll likely get way more PC for your money, than you would from Dell/Gateway/H-Paq/etc..

If you won't consider either of those options, I'd probably, with caution, suggest Gateway. I've got a friend who's had one for about a year, and to my knowledge, has had no problems out of it.

Personally, I'd start reading up on building.

IGF

3. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

i wouldn't go with the media center edition if i were you. i've run into several driver issues.

eta: fwiw, the pentium 4's are usually considered the old, energy hogging, over heating processors. if possible, you may want to see if they offer core duo or core 2 duo or core solo processors.

4. hankhan

hankhan Guest

Dell is ok. Have you shopped around - you can often do better. I've called their support twice in the last 3 years, once I got a nice fellow in Argentina and the next time I got someone in India. I couldn't understand either one of them.

5. Bluzman

Bluzman

My last couple of customers that wanted me to upgrade their PC got Dells. I recommend them highly, unless you are wanting a gaming PC. For that price you can't go wrong and they can have it to your door in 4 or 5 days. You can't fix an old one without spending 3 or 4 hundred bucks. I would try to get windows XP Pro instead of the Media version though. My bro got the Wireless keyboard/mouse accessories and they love it.

6. pyblood

pyblood

That sounds a little pricey. I have gotten similar systems with 17” LCD monitors for around that price. You may want to go to browse the website a little bit more and see if they got any better deals. I agree with David. Unless you have a need for the Media Center OS, I would go with XP home. I think that they want $149 for XP pro.

7. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Dale here is a dell with a 17 in flatsvreen for $589 LINK

I've bought dells for my GF, aunt, nice, and helped configure one for a buddy, and they have been trouble free.

The link is for small businress, but you can be DaleGribble Inc and get it.