Computer Memory Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by LoWRyDa, Apr 11, 2005.

1. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

Can i mix & match memory sizes? right now i have 2x256 sticks with 2 more slots open. Someone told me that I cant mix sizes so i was just going to take those sticks out and go with 2x512, but when i was telling another friend about the upgrade i'm doing he said to just put the 2x512 sticks in the other 2 slots I have but i didnt think i could do 2x256 and 2x512. Is he right? can I? or was the other person right about not mixing sizes?

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Check your motherboards manufactures website

3. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

How do i find out who that is? its just a Dell Dimension 4600

4. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

I only looked up the stats on the Dell Dimension 4600 (not the 4600C). There were two options (with video card or integrated video). I chose video card. Here's what the website says...

(Edited to add: Actually, it doesn't matter. The only difference between the video options is the shared memory for video.)

---------------------------
    Memory
    Architecture: Dual Channel DDR SDRAM
    Memory connectors: four
    Memory capacities: 128-, 256-, 512-MB or 1-GB
    Minimum memory: 128 MB DDR SDRAM
    Maximum memory: 4 GB
    Memory type: PC2700 (333-MHz) or PC3200 (400-MHz) DDR SDRAM (non-ECC)
    ---------------------------

My read is feel free to mix-n-match. Make sure that the memory is all "matched" for type. Ex: Make sure it is all PC2700 or PC 3200. Many systems don;t like it if you mix speeds. Some will simply throttle them all down to the slowest speed, some won't boot, sopme will get flakey.

So if you want (for example) 2X256, 1X512, and 1X128 you should be fine (1152 MB memory total).

5. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

6. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

I just checked out the corsair site and it was able to tell me what type of memory I can use, but it tells me that for a 333 512 stick I can only use this option in my dell.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-117&depa=0

but I also found this deal

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-439&depa=0
    which would save me a hell of a lot of money, and upon reviewing them I cant find a single thing that would stop me from being able to use this pair instead of having to buy 2 of those single sticks. is it just marketing?

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The dual kit refers to RAM sticks that are identical and are the most useful type for using in a Dual Channel DDR environment. They will, of course, work in a single-channel motherboard as well.

Either of those modules you listed ought to work, but you must consider that Dell uses as many proprietary parts as they can to ensure that all post-purchase parts must come from them.

That means that the twin-pack stuff may not work as well as the stick branded specifically for use in the OEM machines.

My guess is that there is no difference in their manufacture.

You could always inquire with NewEgg whether or not they will allow a no-restock-fee return of the twin pack if it doesn't work...but be prepared to pay at least $15.00, just in case.

Which would leave you enough store credit to buy the single 'OEM-ready' stick with anyway.

Good luck...BTW, this is just one of about thirteen thousand reasons to avoid buying OEM computers.

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

A lot of people have good luck with Newegg but I prefer to deal with Zip Zoom Fly.Check them for memory and price.It's a good company http://www.zipzoomfly.com

9. blake711

blake711 Pro-Fesh-U-Nawl

The cheaper would probably work fine. But I recommend you don't purcahse the corsair from Newegg. Instead look at this link.. Crucial for Dell 4600 Notice at the bottom it states.
    What that means is you are going to need two sticks of what ever your purcahse. It also says these modules must be installed in pairs.. Just want to make that clear. So if you want 512mb more you need two 256 sticks.. That would be installed in the 2 empty slots to add to what you already have.

Now on to the question of PC2700 Or PC3200 that depends on the bus speed of your pc 800mhz = pc3200 or 533mhz = pc2700 you can probably tell that from the BIOS "Hit f2 as soon as the machine boots" Or you could look at the dell support site and enter in your Dell Seriel Number. If you have more questions about that ask..

AS for the brand everyone can hem and haw about what brand is best and so forth.. I will say I only use Name Brand qaulity Memory in systems.. Never any cheap crap.. Crucial is one of the best. Those prices are excellent. They also have free shipping.. Right now.. best of luck..

10. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The Dell Dimension 4600 take either PC2700 CAS 2.5 or PC3200 CAS 3.0.I've heard for some reason the PC3200 CAS 2.5 won't work in those Dells.PC2700 is the same as DDR333 and PC3200 is the same as DDR400.Not sure about yours but normally the PC's with 533Mhz front side bus use PC2700 and those with 800Mhz front side bus take PC3200.It's best to go by Crucial's guide.

11. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

i'm assuming i have 533 because i just found an old invoice for it and it says that my memory is PC2700 so i'm just going to buy 2 512 sticks, Thank you everyone for all the help.

12. blake711

blake711 Pro-Fesh-U-Nawl

yup go with what the invoice says.. And don't forget you get to add those 2 to what you already have so you will go from 512 to 1536mb with the 1024 addon.. That will be plenty to run virtually anything including video editing and other memory hungty apps..