close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Computer keeps restarting

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Brill, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Brill

Brill

For some reason my computer keeps restarting itself at increasingly shorter intervals. At first, I assumed it was a problem with my video card since it would only restart while playing a computer game, but now it's restarting itself every few mins. no matter what I'm doing.

I thought it might be some kind of overheating problem, but checked all of my fans and they're all working properly. Ran a full virus scan, and haven't installed any new hardware or software lately so I can't figure out what it's doing.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

It sounds like a power supply problem. I would replace it before it causes further damage.

3. semperfiostoj

semperfiostoj Brutal Candor

If you have XP or 2000 then right-click My Computer, go to the Advanced tab, and click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.

Under System Failure, make sure Write an Event to System Log is checked and Automatically Restart is unchecked.

Next time it fails it should give you a blue screen with an error message. Write down the error message and then search online to see if it is a common problem that you can fix. It might be a new driver that you installed that's causing the problem. To tell the truth though, I've almost never been able to fix something like this and I usually end up having to do a clean install.

Go to the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. Look under the System and Application logs to find out what the event was that caused the computer to fail (you might find more information than what the blue screen gave you. Again, search for the error code online to see if you can find an easy fix.

Good luck!

4. Tiloke

Tiloke Ummmm, Nope.

how often do you defrag?

5. Brill

Brill

Thanks for the advice guys. I tried turning off the Automatic Restart, but it still restarts anyway. Also, this last time it didn't just restart, but it actually shut off completely and I had to unplug the power cord to get it to turn back on.

I'm assuming this confirms James' suspicion of a power supply problem?

6. Brill

Brill

Probably once a month or so. Just did that within the past week.

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

If you have a Nvidia video card some of the older ones won't work properly with the driver update from Windows update.The 53.xx and 56.xx drivers cause this problem.If video card is Gforce$ or older uninstall the video driver and install the 44.xx or 45.xx or 45.xx driver.Download and save the driver before uninstalling the current driver.This only applies if you have a Nvidia video card.You also may need to use a driver uninstaller program to properly uninstall the current driver.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

This certainly sounds like a Power Supply problem.

IGF

9. lens

lens

It sounds like a power supply problem, but FIRST try this from someone who's BTDT!

- Change out the power cord and see if the problem still persists.

- If it does, replace the power supply with a good quality one (Antec is my preferred brand).

I had a similar problem, replaced video card, motherboard/CPU and power supply to no avail. Turned out that the power cord had become defective and caused the problem. Same thing happened to another person I know, so give this a shot first.