Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I start from the beginning. I did a hard shut down (holding in the power button) the other day to make my computer shut down. No biggie as I was gonna bring it back up and fomat and install Xp again. After the hard shut down, it wouldn't come on again. Nothing. The green light on my m/b was on...so I was thinking bad switch. Bought a switch at radio shak, soldered the wires to the new switch and wa-la...NOTHING. Ok, now I'm thinking bad pwr supply Or worse...possibly bad m/b. With power supplys costing about as much as a case with a pwr supply I opted for a whole new case w/ pwr supply. I got an Antec w/ 350 watt pwr supply from BB ( I didn't feel like waiting and ordering from newegg or tigerdirect...and yes I got raped on the price $83!!)
Ok, come home swap everything over and wa-la...it comes on but no video. I have a 256MB AGP XFX nVidia graphics card. I noticed the fan on the card is not working. I swap the monitor to on board video and still nothing. My hard drive had XP Pro on it and I don't know if it is booting to it or not b/c of the video problem. I believe the onboard video is turned off b/c I have the AGP card. i can't even get to the BIOS to turn it back on and find out whats going on.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!
What do you think? Bad M/b? Bad video card? I even tried an old ATI PCI video card I had lying around...NOTHING! I'm leaning toward bad m/b b/c of no video input working. I only have about a month and a half left of my 3 year warranty and have already contacted Intel. They say you have to go thriugh phone support and they waive the support fee. My m/b is an Intel D865GBF w/ a 3.0Ghz HT P4 and 1GB DDR 400 RAM. If you can help, please do. I'm so frustrated--ASUS

·
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
2,046 Posts
I had the same problem you're experiencing, and after pulling out the CPU (and bending the pins while doing so...grrrr), and reinserting it and replacing the cpu/heatsink paste, everything worked.

YMMV.

eta: i don't know why it worked after that, but it did.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I've seen EVERYTHING cause the problem you're describing. Bad ram, bad video card, bad CPU, bad motherboard. Replace parts 1 at a time with known good until you find the problem, stopping at the CPU. If no luck, replace parts 2 at a time with known good, stopping at CPU. If you get to 3 and still no good, very likely it's your CPU and a good chance also your motherboard. It seems to me in most cases the cpu goes bad it likes to also damage the motherboard.

Replace with known working, keep receipts for everything and ask about their return policy, keep everything nice and neat, don't rip the bags unless you have to, etc.

If I had to guess, based on what you've already done, I'd say the MB is shot. The only thing I've seen fry a CPU is lightning, or it overheats from being improperly pasted/mounted to the heatsink in which case you'd smell the burning. I've seen way more MBs crap than CPUs. Good luck, let us know how it turns out. -dok

·
Registered
434 Posts
onboard video is probably disabled in BIOS because you had a card installed.

if the video card fan won't spin, it coulda taken a serious jolt of power when the power supply croaked.

got a friend's PC you can test your card in? or an older card that'll fit the slot, just to test?

and no system beeps?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts