close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Computer Gurus--Help needed

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Big Bird, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I have a wireless home network with a Linksys wireless router. My main computer is a Dell desktop which is connected to a HP officejet printer via a USB cable. The Dell connects to the internet with a cable via the wireless router. I also have a laptop that I use all over the house through the wireless link. From time to time I need to print something from my laptop. My current solution is to e-mail myself the file and then open the file on the Dell Desktop and print it.

Is there another, easier way to set this up so my laptop can print directly off the printer without e-mailing files etc?

Many thanks...

2. noot

noot

share printer on desktop.

control panel -> printers and faxes
    right click on printer... share this printer.

on laptop, make sure you are on same domain / workgroup. type \\\\COMPUTERNAME\\printers and faxes
    make the desktop printer the default printer.

good luck

3. Hucklebarry

Hucklebarry Native

I just bought a US Robotics wireless router with a built in USB printer port. It serves as a print server so you don't have to keep the desktop running in order to print. So far it works great. The only drawback, so far, is the fact that it's a one-way comm device. It doesn't report printer status back to the computer you're printing from.

The above poster answered your question. My post is irrelevent.

Huck

eta! After rebates, it was only $15!

4. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

You also want to set a static IP address on the desktop I think, or assign that one the same address every time from DHCP on the router.

5. Dregan

Dregan Nietzschean

noot is on the money. You should not need a static IP from the router, though.

Another alternative is a 802.11g print server - that way you could place your printer anywhere and print from any computer on your network.

6. hihoslva

hihoslva \m/ (>

Can the printer connect to the network?

Example:

I also have an HP printer - an all-in-one Officejet 7210. It has both USB and Ethernet connectivity.

My wireless router has several Ethernet ports. So one is connected to my desktop, and the other to the printer.

With this method, any computer on my network - wireless or wired - can print from the printer.

In addition, the printer has media card slots, so those can also be network-accessed.

If your printer has this capability, it may require a re-installation of the printer software/drivers.

7. Fungunner

Fungunner

I have several printers (laser, inkjet, photo) on my network. They connect to the network via a small network printserver. 2 of my print servers are by D-Link, connect directly to the Centronics parallel connector, the other is by I/O Gear and is for USB. All PCs are set up to print to any of the printers.

8. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Noot,
    I got the desktop configured fine. Am a little puzzled by the Laptop domain/workgroup thing...where do I do that?

9. lens

lens

In Network setup, set it to use Workgroup and just make sure that all machines are set for the same Workgroup name.