Computer freezes during game play

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Specks, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Specks

Specks

Okay, here is the problem. When I play games such as Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Rainbow 6 Three, Enemy Territory and Americas Army, my computer repeatedly freezes and occasionally blue screens. When it freezes, the video locks up and the sound loops (if a gun is shot just as it freezes, the shot is repeated over and over sounding like full auto fire). Most of the time, the game resumes after 30 seconds or so but then re-freezes immediately to up to several minutes later. When it blue screens, it happens during a freeze and from what I can read of the message, nv4.dll is the cause from an infinite loop condition.

I built my computer with the following parts:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3000DIK4BI
    MB: ASUS A8V Deluxe Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard
    PS: Thermaltake Silent Purepower W0014RU ATX 480W Power Supply
    Memory: CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Model VS512MBB400 X 2
    Video: MSI FX5900XT-VTD128 Geforce FX5900XT 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JD 120GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA 150 Hard Drive X 2
    Heat Sink: Thermaltake Venus Series Coolers-Silent Boost K8
    The obligatory floppy drive to load SATA drivers, the DVD CDRW drive, a sound card, case and 17" flat panel monitor.

I have tried updating the motherboard bios, the video card bios, the video driver (MSI's version and straight from nvidia) with no luck. Originally, the sound card, video card and onboard firewire shared IRQ numbers. Since I don't have any firewire devices, I disabled the firewire in the bios and move the sound card to a different pci slot. I'm running winXP Pro SP2.

I have some ideas as to what the problem can be but I need some help. First is the power supply. I think it should be sufficient. Second is cpu overheating. What is normal temp range for my processor? Third, bad video card. Doubtful since everything but my games work fine.

Can anyone help me?

2. jack19512

jack19512

My first thought would be video card. Especially after you said everything works fine except your games. Have you tried adjusting the settings on your video card down to see if that helps?

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Move the sound card physically as far from the video card as you can.This can be the bottom PCI slot but this slot often shares IRQ with the video slot.You can move it to the next to bottom PCI slot.You didn't say which sound card it is but I think it's not onboard sound.You might try different sound and video drivers.You could disable your sound and see if the problem goes away.

4. Specks

Specks

I've dumbed the settings down to the lowest settings on each of the games without effect.

This is exactly what I did. The slot furthest away shared the IRQ with the AGP slot, so I moved it over one.

I have a Turle Beach Riviera 6. I have disabled the onboard sound. I've tried several of the nvida drivers ranging from 61.77 to 78.01. I have not tried a different sound driver though. I'll look up some.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

That Asus motherboard sounds familar.There was one recent model with problems like that and was fixed by using an older bios version.I think it had something to do with using a serial ATA drive in it.

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

9. ric0123

ric0123

Sounds like either a heat or power supply problem. Make sure you have at least 2 case fans, one in front and one in back. Make sure all of your IDE cables are bundled nicely so that air can flow inside the case good. I'd have at least a 350 watt power supply, preferably more. There is also a difference between a high watt cheap one and a low watt good one. I had similar problems and ended up buying a new case with more fans and a better power supply. Problems went away

10. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

sounds like an overheating video card

11. Specks

Specks

My case has a total of 5 fans. One blowing in on the front, two blowing in on the side, one blowing out on the top and one blowing out the back. The power supply is a 480W Thermaltake. It pumps out 40A on the +5V rail, 30A on +3.3V, and 18A on +12V, so I don't think it is underpowered.

This is a possibility, but unfortunately, this card doesn't have a temp sensor.

12. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

run that card myself. what drivers you running?

try the 53.03 dets WHQL

faint possibility its crappy ram, not Likely.

best chance is drivers and/or timings in bios.. (relax the ram timings a hair, maybe give the CPU or Ram another dash of electricity)

put arctic silver five under the heatsink.. (drops temps a couple degrees C or maybe 3)

get MBM 5 or some other desktop temp gauge and check if temps are above about 55C.. (they don't want to be above about 45C for optimal)

worst case you May have a crappy heatsink on the vid card, remove/paste/replace it.

thems all the easy answers i know.

13. Specks

Specks

I'm currently using 56.72 as it was suggested on an nvidia forum. I'll give 53.03 a try as well.

Timings for system RAM or video RAM? How do I add a dash of electricity?

I used arctic silver between the CPU and heatsink. I havent' seen the CPU temp go over 42C using the sensor software that came with the motherboard.

I'll give this a try when I have some alone time. I have 2 little girls that like to help with everything.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

14. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

msi uses lower quality video ram than some (not under spec, just on the edge) and cooling matters .. so if you can get it cooler either with a fan pointed at it, or better heatsink paste .. you may win.

and the absolute Last Resort is to swap out the card. factory RMA

before you go there, might try if possible using a bit faster system ram. (better quality)

if your temps are ok, and you've done everything you can, RMA the card. it's supposed to work..

some bios have settings to adjust ram timings & CPU (v core) voltage and ram voltage.

SOME times (at the price of more heat) you can jack up the electricity one notch @ the cpu or for the system ram and gain stability. i honestly believe it's the vid card, 90%.. with as I said a faint chance you have iffy system ram.

only way to prove what's wrong is to fix it, and it was the last thing you tried. sorry it's not simpler.