close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Computer doesn't see cd drives.....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by popnfresh, Sep 26, 2004.

1. popnfresh

popnfresh

Computer/bios does not see factory cd-rom drive or TDK cd/rw drive anymore they used to work fine.

I have tried switching jumpers, unhooking, master/slave changes. They both have power.

Any suggestion... I have no friends(new town), so I can't try the drives on another puter.

2. AAshooter

AAshooter

Try unplugging and replugging in the data cable into the motherboard and drives. Make sure it is plugged in proper place on motherboard (I assume it is). May want to try an new data cable or trying to connect drives as masters separately.

3. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Have you changed anything in the BIOS lately? Is the CMOS battery dead by any chance?

4. glockfoo2u

glockfoo2u foo Glockfoo

Have you tried reloading the drivers? Ihad a sinmilar problem about two months ago, my HP wouldn't recognise the CD drives . I ended up going to the company site and dwn loading new drivers . Never did figure out why it did it though.

5. AZ-Boog

AZ-Boog

what OS are you running?

go into device manager and uninstall the CD drives and then reboot and let Windows re-detect them.

check the IDE cables from the motherboard to the CD drives.

6. popnfresh

popnfresh

XP home

Device manager doesn't show them either.

I had problems with SP2, It kept seeing new hardware and asked for software install, well the hardware wasn't new and it was using it's software.

Called Microsoft, we messed with it until we lost the video driver, so I had no video what so ever.

I managed to do a system restore by stumbling around in the dark via the narrator, and got really bad video back, enough to see to download a driver for my vid card.

I try to set bios up for cdrom where it says none. I switched master slave config and also set each up as only drive, during start up the indicator lights come on for the drive that is master.

Microsoft says it's a hardware issue now, and I need to call the manufacturer. they(microsoft) say the drives are probley bad. That would be quite a coincidence, 2 cd drives going bad at the same time that I am having problems with SP2.

The manufacturer charges $20 for the call, and im sure they will know nothing. I can't find driver downloads for my drives, if anyone knows of a place to get them let me know.

one is a TDK veleocd cd/rw and the factory one says Hitachi it's just a cd rom drive.

7. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

8. popnfresh

popnfresh

Yes both are on the same cable, and I was thinking the same thing. I have a new cable that came with the TDK that I have not tried yet, I will do that next so I can rule that out, I hope it's not the MB. Thanks for the suggestions.

9. srhoades

srhoades

After checking all that I second what chevrofreak said. Sounds like your IDE controller took a dump.

10. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Hold on there, PopNFresh!!

You have missed a few of the more vital troubleshooting steps....

The first thing to do is to boot into BIOS (tap the the F10, CTRL, or DEL key while booting) and see if the drives are recognized and that the parameters are set properly there.

It could be that the BIOS on your mainboard has become corrupted, or, as was posted, that your CMOS battery, which is used to keep the hardware settings and the clock running, ect. is getting too weak. They normally last 4-5 years, max.

Next, try setting them both to master and then plugging one of the optical drives into the Secondary Master spot...could be that one of the drives is FUBARED and somehow blocking the IDE channel's message. Lastly, try plugging a CD drive onto the same IDE cable as your HDD as a slave to see if it works there.

Good luck,

FastVFR

11. popnfresh

popnfresh

The BIOS does not recognize the cd drives, It shows the 3.5"disk drive and master and slave HDD's, it shows "none" where the cd-roms should be. I have tried changing these to cd but it doesn't work.

Today I hooked each up by itself with new cable, when it went to start up it took a real long time, like it was confused.
    It my have been looking at the drives but didn't know what to do with them, the HDD accessing light stayed on all the while.

Does the BIOS live on the motherboard? Before I had this problem I was considering buying a new mobo and processor.
    I am wondering if the BIOS is not the problem, will buying a new mobo be pointless because I have no cd drives?, according to my device manager.

Another question: Is changing the motherboard a basic unhook old and plug in the new, and can I use pc2100 ram on a different(faster) board or do I have to find one for 2100?

I am currently using a 400MHz celeron and want to upgrade to P4 500 or 800MHZ.