close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Compressing folders

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MrsKitty, Oct 20, 2006.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

How safe is it to compress folders?

It will mainly be pics that I have backed up to CD.

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Not particularly effective if the pictures are jpegs (highly compressed already). Other than that, if you need to save space, should be relatively safe.

That's not going to be your only archive storage, right? Keep a readily available copy of the images on an external USB2 drive. They're cheap and reasonably speedy for backup.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

An external HDD is on my list of things to buy, but right now, I can't download a single pic if I shoot any tomorrow. A ton of what I have was shot in RAW so they will compress.

I just hate to "tamper" with them. I have been planning on getting the HDD for a long time but I keep procrastinating. I have reached the point where I CANNOT procrastinate any longer I guess :sad:

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Go tomorrow morning :whip:. They're cheap, and they make backup so easy, you will be a good girl from now on and have everything backed up every day [​IMG].

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

My choices here are Staples and Wally World. I am going to drop by Staples tomorrow, if I go out, and see what I find.

I have all my pics (and docs) backed up with the exception of what I shot today and those are still on the cards, just in case :clown:

6. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

Also remember that if you compress your pics, you'll have to browse it with a decompression program which can be time consuming and very frustrating if you are at someone else's house trying to show your pics and they don't have WinZip or something similar.
    CD's are cheap and it looks like you are trying to fix your backup woes. :thumbsup:

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I have always backed up to CD every couple of weeks but now I just don't have the space to download what I am shooting! Last night I had to delete some things to make room for the pics I shot yesterday. I don't have any room now to resize and edit the few pics that need it.

I keep all our computers backed up pretty regularly. I also email things that I want to make sure I don't loose to a gmail account where I just leave them for storage. Also, I can access them from any computer so that is a bonus in case of disaster.