Component substitutions on manual loads

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SC Tiger, Apr 2, 2012.

1. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

What kind of component substitutions do you guys do on manual loads (different bullet, different primer, etc)?

Here is my opinion though I don't sub much at all:

Powder - Never, ever, ever EVER. Wouldn't even think about it.

Primer - Have subbed magnum for standard small pistol on a "safe load" (was a mistake) for .357. I also accidently wound up with a crapload of Small Pistol Magnum primers. The load was below the book charge though (110 gr Speer bullet on top of 17 grains of 2400). Probably wouldn't do this if I were pushing the limit. I have also subbed Winchester for CCI standard primers.

Bullet - this is my real question. I haven't done it but can you sub a .357 Magnum 140 grain Sierra or Nosler bullet for a similar-design 140 Grain Speer? What makes me think of this is I have seen a few bullet manufacturers that don't have manuals out.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. ColoCG

ColoCG

I wouldn't substitute a load for a standard jacketed/lead bullet for the same weight Barnes. Barnes are all copper, copper being lighter than lead the bearing surface of Barnes bullets are longer for the same weight as copper/lead bullets. Longer bearing surface equals higher pressure. Check Barnes we site for Barnes bullet loads.

I have no problem subing any sp primers with non-max loads.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

3. SC Tiger

Thanks. I was speaking more hypothetically than specifically about Barnes (I didn't realize how different they were) but thanks for the info.

4. ColoCG

ColoCG

In that case if the bullets are the same weight, shape and design, and material. Yes you can substitute a dfferent brand of bullet, but as always start your load out low and work up slowly looking for pressure signs. Use the longest seating depth that will function your gun and fit in your magazine that doesn't touch your guns rifleing

This process works for a lot of bullets that are not listed in loading manuals

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Have to use common sense. You can substitute bullets IF they are the same basic design and construction. So NO on the All Copper bullet for Jacketed Bullet. But Lead for Lead if they are the same basic design. Always use starting loads and work it up. Same with Primers. Start low and work it up. Watch for sealing issues with Magnum primers and light loads.

6. fredj338

fredj338

You should NOT. A mono metal bullet is completely diff animal. If your loads were well off max, you could get away with it, but even bullets of sim mat'l. but diff shape should NOT just be plugged into a near max load. Bearing surfaces length matters as well as mat'l/construction.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  7. SC Tiger

That's what I was wondering. When I said Barnes I didn't realize how different their bullets were than standard jacketed lead bullets. I should have said Speer and Nosler or Sierra or something.

What "sealing issues" are you talking about with magnum primers?

I also looked on Hogden's website and they don't mention if you should use magnum or standard primers. I know magnums can increase case pressure somewhat though.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Magnum primers are expecting magnum loads and the magnum pressure helps seal the thicker primer cup to the primer pocket.

So, if the load is light, there isn't enough pressure to expand the primer against the pocket and the hot gas leaks by, thus pitting the breech face.

There was a LONG thread about using the wrong primers about a month ago. Pictures and everything...

Now, I have no direct experience with this. I have used the proper primer for the proper application forever. I haven't had to substitute magnum primers because standard primers weren't available. And it doesn't look likely in the future, either, given that I have about 20,000 primers on hand and will order more some time this month.

Richard

9. SC Tiger

My plan is to buy standard primers from now on and only use magnums if needed. I have 2000 magnum primers I want to use but I'm not going to risk a $600 gun for $80.00 worth of primers.