close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Completely rebuilding the home network need opinions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Rabid Rabbit, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

My wife and I got tired of the mish mash of networking equipment, some 10 years old and want to replace most or all of it with decent stuff. Of the home network equipment companies Belkin, Linksys, Netgear and D-Link are there any that are good or bad. I've had bad and good stuff from each company so I don't have any brand loyalty. Any thoughts about who has the equipment to do what I want?

Currently I have a cable modem (Motorola) to a wired router (linksys) to a hub (netgear) and a access point (netgear) hangs off the hub. My throughput is really sad from and to the tivo to any desktop but better to any of the notebooks. The access point is fairly central to the house, yet I still have problems getting the signal 30 ft away on the deck. To complicate things I have a detached garage 100 ft away I need access to though I may run wire out to the garage when I run power out there.

What I'm trying to do is have a hybrid network to connect the following.
    two desktops wired
    one desktop wireless
    three notebooks wireless
    one two port wireless print server
    Tivo Wireless G
    one wired NAS (D-Link 323) for RAID 1
    one wired SAN for media storage (Netgear SC101).

2. popnfresh

popnfresh

You obviously have far more experience with networking than I do(a lot of studying, but only 3 days hands-on) but, I just setup(plugged in) a powerline network for my house and am very happy, might be just what you need to get to the garage and it is "hybrid-able". Depending on the outlet, some are better than others, I get from 48Mbps to 65Mbps at every outlet in the house. My thread on the subject

They also recognize any other homeplug powerline device so you dont have to stick with one brand.

3. rust_nvr_sleeps

rust_nvr_sleeps Glock Glock

The Linksys stuff is usually quite good. I have not had good luck with D-Link. I have the WRT54-G v.6 which I am running the custom DDWRT firmware on (works VERY well) www.dd-wrt.com/

You should be alright with just a standard wireless router, the linksys has 4 wired ports built in for the hardwired computers. If the wired computers are more than a room away from the router, you can always run a single line from the router to the uplink port on a switch.

I have no experience with TIVO or the print servers, but they should work fine with the current wireless standard.

Good luck

4. Fritzer

Fritzer

Your performance is likely the result of having everything connected to that hub.
    A new 100 megabit switch ( heck, a home gigabit switch if you want to overbuild) would make a big change in your network thruput. That assumes that you really have a hub and not a switch already.
    I don't really have any brand loyalty either, and usually buy on price for a similar device.

If that desktop only has a 10 megabit network card, upgrade the network card too.

If you don't get a new switch with enough ports, and end up connecting a couple of devices together to get the total number of ports --- Then try to connect all of the media-rich devices together on the same unit. Switch performance will be higher within the same device.

The wireless appears to be central to most of the traffic too. An upgrade there would be well spent. That would probably help your range problems too. Many of the new units can take external antenna's for added range, that might be a feature to look for.

It won't change your in house performance, but check with your cable company to see if your cable modem is the latest hardware/firmware to run the fastest speeds on the cable side of the connection. There were cable system upgrades a couple of years ago, and an older cable modem will not run at the higher speeds that the cable plant is capable of. If you rent/lease the modem, you have to complain about performance to get them to replace it. If you bought it, it's your dime.

You might want to start with a switch upgrade, or look for a wireless & switch device to knock off two things right off.

Regards,
    Fritz.