Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was watching build videos, getting tips from @pgg00 taking my time, and running back and forth for tools...it took me about 4.5 hours from start to finish. If only factoring in the parts I had to purchase, I am about $440 into this rifle. It was a lot of fun to see how inexpensively I could build one. I now have a better understanding of how everything is put together. I plan to shoot it this weekend to see how it does. Everything on it function checked perfectly.

Forgive the grungy looking carpet. It is not nearly Bac quality. It is a piece of carpet in the "mud room" area by the back door.

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
NRA Life Member
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet. Soon that will multiply and you'll have at least one for each family member
Thank you for the help! And the only way it will multiply is if somebody I know gives me more parts to build another one...although I'm having a hard time thinking of somebody who has enough spare parts on hand...

Reactions: pgg00

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
So I was watching build videos, getting tips from @pgg00 taking my time, and running back and forth for tools...it took me about 4.5 hours from start to finish. If only factoring in the parts I had to purchase, I am about $440 into this rifle. It was a lot of fun to see how inexpensively I could build one. I now have a better understanding of how everything is put together. I plan to shoot it this weekend to see how it does. Everything on it function checked perfectly.

Forgive the grungy looking carpet. It is not nearly Bac quality. It is a piece of carpet in the "mud room" area by the back door.

View attachment 982700
Good job!

Reactions: KiloBravo

·
Registered
22,825 Posts
I have over 40 at home I've built. I've also built probably about 30 others for guys at work (they bought all the parts and I put it together). Then of course the maintenance of the spare work rifles. Most guys are using builds now.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Congrats on your first build...it sure looks like an AR! I hope it functions properly and serves you well.

There's one thing however that I don't understand that maybe you can help me out with here, and please, no offense intended...but what is the "fun" in building a rifle as inexpensively as possible?

·
Registered
22,825 Posts
Congrats on your first build...it sure looks like an AR! I hope it functions properly and serves you well.

There's one thing however that I don't understand that maybe you can help me out with here, and please, no offense intended...but what is the "fun" in building a rifle as inexpensively as possible?
It was his "starter" rifle 😁

·
Anti-Federalist
24,139 Posts
Very nice, I managed to build a complete pistol for right at $350 which included the transfer. Probably won't be able to that again for some time.

May as well sort out how many pieces you've got left so you can plan out the next one. I've got an upper that's slowly coming together. I'm short a BCG and the receiver itself but I'm not in a hurry.

Reactions: KiloBravo

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
It was his "starter" rifle 😁
Yah, I understand that :)

My main reason for asking the question was because I've noticed that in recent times more and more people seem to be more concerned with spending as little as possible on firearm components, who then often come to GT and other firearm related discussion forums asking why their parts didn't fit correctly, wore prematurely, were machined terribly, or flat out didn't work. And even though these victims suffering from "the cheapies" often report good customer service experiences when getting their inexpensive parts issues resolved, I'd much rather spend the extra money on quality parts of known lineage that work as described and that rarely if ever fail - so I don't have to find out first hand how good or bad a company's customer service is...

'Guess that means I'm old school ;)

·
Anti-Federalist
24,139 Posts

My main reason for asking the question was because I've noticed that in recent times more and more people seem to be more concerned with spending as little as possible on firearm components, who then often come to GT and other firearm related discussion forums asking why their parts didn't fit correctly, wore prematurely, were machined terribly, or flat out didn't work. And even though these victims suffering from "the cheapies" often report good customer service experiences when getting their inexpensive parts issues resolved, I'd much rather spend the extra money on quality parts of known lineage that work as described and that rarely if ever fail - so I don't have to find out first hand how good or bad a company's customer service is...

You don't have to spent Gucci money to make a perfectly functioning rifle that will last thousands of rounds. As to customer service? If I build a rifle from parts, there is no one else to call.

·
NRA Life Member
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I own several higher end firearms. I just ordered another one that wasn't cheap. For me, I just wanted to make it a personal challenge to see how inexpensively I could build an AR. That's the only reason. I was never intending to build one until I ended up with a fair number of parts to put one together. I didnt really use any "junk" parts either. Most of the major components are Anderson, Aero, and Daniel Defense.

RANGE REPORT:

I just got home from putting 100 rounds down range. Zero malfunctions and everything was working exactly as it should. I also got the iron sights zeroed with minimal effort. I did a couple of mag dumps towards the end to get everything hot. It still ran like a top. I am very happy with this build.

Thanks to everybody so far for the kind words as well!

·
Anti-Federalist
24,139 Posts
I own several higher end firearms. I just ordered another one that wasn't cheap. For me, I just wanted to make it a personal challenge to see how inexpensively I could build an AR. That's the only reason. I was never intending to build one until I ended up with a fair number of parts to put one together. I didnt really use any "junk" parts either. Most of the major components are Anderson, Aero, and Daniel Defense.

RANGE REPORT:

I just got home from putting 100 rounds down range. Zero malfunctions and everything was working exactly as it should. I also got the iron sights zeroed with minimal effort. I did a couple of mag dumps towards the end to get everything hot. It still ran like a top. I am very happy with this build.

Thanks to everybody so far for the kind words as well!

Rolling your own really takes the mystery and myths out of what does and doesn't work. Congratz.

·
NRA Life Member
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rolling your own really takes the mystery and myths out of what does and doesn't work. Congratz.
Funny you say that...I was just talking to somebody else about that very thing. I said was surprised the gun worked flawlessly. Probably because I didn't know what I was doing before I started on this one. I figured I forgot something or installed something incorrectly. I was all smiles when the gun operated perfectly through those 100 rounds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts