Complete Newb, How Do I Get Started...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by California Jack, Feb 22, 2010.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Besides purchasing equipment, how do I learn how to do this? Any primers I should read?

2. SnowOxx

SnowOxx

You mean reloading right? Id get The ABCs of Reloading book, good starting point. I am going to take some classes down the road (haven't bought or tried reloading yet)

3. XDRoX

XDRoX

I bought the ABC's of relaoding and read it. I then bought an RCBS kit which basically came with everything I needed except the dies.
    I then got a private lesson from Fred. He was nice enough to show my the ropes. So if you know anyone that reloads ask for a lesson. My local reloading/gun store also offers classes once a month.

4. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

I just looked at some primers, and I don't see any writing.

5. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Really though I would get the ABCs of Reloading book. Read it then go from there.

6. Jumper

Jumper

No one should begin the hazardous journey of reloading without taking my reloading class. Its a 4 day class and tuition is a modest $2000. Please pay in untraceable bills and bring all your own equipment. PM me to pay and sign up.

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Ignore Jumper, they're still trying to regulate his meds... plus he has all those pesky warrants hanging over his head.

If you really want to learn how to reload PM Rickenbacker53. He probably knows more about loading than everyone on here combined.

He is very, very helpful... so much so that he offers a free ten session loading class to GT members. He lives very, very close to you. You only need to supply your own brass, he provides the rest of the components. He also offers a free casting class and supplies the first 100 pounds of alloy free.

You'll learn a lot and have a great time. :supergrin:

Jack

8. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

yes, thanks.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If you want an idea on the process.... While its kind of press specific, watch this guys 5 videos.... He pretty much takes you through all you'd need to know about a 550... A lot of the stuff he says though, can be applied to any press. ABC's of reloading is a very good book to start learning the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrbv_8kx4

10. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Get the book "ABC's of Reloading" and begin study.

I advise refraining from buying equipment until you have read the book and have a basic grasp of understanding.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  11. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

And if you get in any trouble with the law he's a criminal defense attorney... specializing in defending those who use "Killer personally reloaded self defense carry ammo" in SHTF situations. :rofl:

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Poor Rickenbacker..lol.. His time here was so short, and he's still a legend.. :). Fox's advice to not buy equipment until you understand what you're doing, is sound. Different presses do things very differently. Wait till you understand the process, so you can buy a press that you know will meet your needs.

IGF

13. Jumper

Jumper

Ignore GioJack. He is still sore at me for flunking him. That man doesn't know a flashhole de-burrer from a philips screwdriver. BTW I still have not received your tuition payment. :psycho:

14. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

A lot of good info in the stickies at the top of the page.

Bob

15. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

one of the primary jobs before you start is assign limits to your own needs. what WORKS for you, not what's latest and greatest. things that work well together, for cheap, are hard to argue with on value.. there are various options that please various budgets and individual temperments. I bought best quality cheapest brand items, meaning classic cast lee and lee classic cast turret, rcbs trim station, rcbs dies, and limited my reloading ambitions to minimal calibers. I wanted backup availability of ammo in a tight economy, not a hobby or to feed a shooting habit. It has everything to do with your intentions, buy what serves those purposes, but THINK about it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  16. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

Check with your gun club and see if they have any classes on reloading, or if they have any NRA classes and see if they have any reloading classes. Or someone in your club that knows how too reload and will too teach someone.
    When reloading the different books start thinking in what you want too reload for, How much you shoot in a month then double that amount, How much time you want too spend reloading. How much you want too spend for the equipment. Also think about further down the road, what other guns you may want too buy and if you even think that you might get into any type of competition. All of these needs and wants well dictate in what equipment that you need.
    Also you may want too start setting aside money for the equipment that you well need.

17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

If you want to meet avid reloaders go to a USPSA event. Nearly everyone who you meet reloads. You will meet some great people and learn a lot about shooting and reloading if you choose to get involved.