Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This teenagers rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner uses the original words but her own style and tune.

After some complaints were raised, accusations of overt racism have been flying around.

What do you make of it - a good take, or unacceptable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KVQUjxrgrM

·
Long Trail
2,476 Posts
I thought she did an awesome job, no complaints here.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I dont think ive ever seen the national anthem sung note for note as it was written. Each singer always tweaks how it sounds except the words are true.
Shes not doing what every other singer hasnt done before. Crying racist is preposterous, unless we're talking about the people doing the complaining.

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
Complaints? Accusations of overt racism?

That voice?! Wow.

Whole lotta publicity for her with all those complaints and accusations flying around.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I can't see what would be racist about that. I liked it.

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
Where was she accused of racism? Newspaper, radio, gossip????

·
clever quip
1,165 Posts
Not how Id like to hear it sung, but I dont see how its racist.

Are people really saying its racist because she put a lot of urban vibrato in her rendition?

·
Banned
12,951 Posts
She did fine. I was at a Giants game in 2007 and when the announcers mentioned that 1st and 2nd graders would be doing the national anthem I thought it would be done badly with gusto, but the children did great.

·
God rules all!
6,209 Posts
The racism claims are about people, like me, who would prefer that the National Anthem be sung as written . . . as it used to be sung before performers--and this is especially true for black entertainers--began to "jazz it up" with their own, self-glorifying, rendition.

The original intent of singing the National Anthem before an event was to celebrate our nation, not to provide a forum for singers to show themselves off. It was considered an "honor," a word we don't hear bandied about very often, and privilege to salute our nation and all for which it stands.

This all began back in the 70's and has gotten progressively worse, so that now you very rarely hear the song sung as it was written.

The artists had no respect for America. It's been going on so long now that this young lady probably had no idea that she was offending a fair number of her fellow citizens.

If believing that she bastardized our National Anthem makes me racist in some folks eyes, so be it. It has nothing to do with her race, it has everything to do with self-aggrandizement.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
She's using a lot of melisma (the drawn-out note changes) and it's understandable if people think this draws attention away from the anthem and towards her vocal skills. However, it's such a common style these days that I don't think she was trying to showcase her singing skill at the expesnse of the anthem.

Complaining that people who prefer a less dramatic version are racist is absurd.

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
The racism claims are about people, like me, who would prefer that the National Anthem be sung as written . . . as it used to be sung before performers--and this is especially true for black entertainers--began to "jazz it up" with their own, self-glorifying, rendition.

The original intent of singing the National Anthem before and event was to celebrate our nation, not to provide a forum for singers to show themselves off. It was considered and "honor," a word we don't hear bandied about very often, and privilege to salute our nation and all for which it stands.

This all began back in the 70's and has gotten progressively worse, so that now you very rarely hear the song sung as it was written.

The artists had no respect for America. It's been going on so long now that this young lady probably had no idea that she was offending a fair number of her fellow citizens.

If believing that she bastardized our National Anthem makes me racist in some folks eyes, so be it. It has nothing to do with her race, it has everything to do with self-aggrandizement.
damm good post! :wavey:

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
WTH?? That was great!! Anyone who considers anything about race in that is crazy. What complaints? What accusations? Is there an article?

·
Registered
8,809 Posts

·
Please! Please! No more!
7,524 Posts
Nothing racist about it, but it doesn't mean it didn't suck ass. There are very few singers who can take on the National Anthem the way it was intended. Trying to make it cool only makes it retarded.

EDIT: I cringed at that Dixie Chix version, and shut it off when they got to the "ramparts". Jesus.

·
Registered
30,255 Posts
That style of singing isn't something I like in any song, but what she did, she did well.

I've heard a whole lot worse renditions and out right disrespect from singers of the Star Spangled Banner.

I don't see where racism enters into it anywhere, except the racism of the A holes that cry racism.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.