Glock Talk banner

Competition sights

1195 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  9x45
I have iron rear sights with an XS Big Dot front I pick it up great. What I want to know is why so many who shoot competitions prefer the fiber optic fronts?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
895 Posts
My sights are Dawson with FO not only in the front, but the rear as well. Red front, two green in the rear. Very quick to pick up and line up. If you like your setup, keep it. That's why they make so many different ones.

· Premium Member
22,879 Posts
I have iron rear sights with an XS Big Dot front I pick it up great. What I want to know is why so many who shoot competitions prefer the fiber optic fronts?
Depends on the competition. Those big dots can be picked up fast, but take longer to be precise with. It's all a trade off. My preference for outdoor shooting is Dawson black rear, red fiber front.

· On the Border
16,903 Posts
FO fronts are easier to use for coarse sight pictures, when the FS does not need to be indexed precisely. For tighter shots, the top of the FS is a much better indexing tool.

The dot and post are 2 separate points of index. It doesn't really make sense to zero a gun with irons so that it prints at the dot.

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Depends on the type of competition. I compete only in Conventional Pistol (bullseye) matches. An FO sight would never do. Same for PPC, Even the painted dots on some sights are a no-no for me.

· Jacks #1 Fan
6,148 Posts
FO fronts are easier to use for coarse sight pictures, when the FS does not need to be indexed precisely. For tighter shots, the top of the FS is a much better indexing tool.

The dot and post are 2 separate points of index. It doesn't really make sense to zero a gun with irons so that it prints at the dot.
FO's are designed to simply pick the front sight up faster. Unless you use an adjustable rear there really isn't a way to adjust POA/POI zero'ed on the FO. That why I like the TARAN's so much better than the DAWSON's The FO is alot closer to the top of the sight.

· Registered
2,623 Posts
I agree with Boxer. Tarans are the best competition sight I've found. I've never seen any serious USPSA or IDPA shooter use Big Dots.

· Registered
8,959 Posts
While alot of guys do run fiber optics, not everyone does. I have been using race cut black on black Heines for over 15 years. The tendency with a dot is to push it over the center and go high. However, Taran FO fronts are the brightest and closest to the top of the post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.