close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Competition Reloading for Glock 35

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by splashdown, Feb 14, 2005.

1. splashdown

splashdown nra member

I purposely asked the question here vs. the reloading forum because this is competition specific. I'm thinking about getting a G35 and therefore I'm starting to learn about reloading. I shoot USPSA Production div and with the 35 I may slap on a magwell and some +2 (or more?) basepads on and shoot Limited.

Anyone out there have a favorite Major/Minor load you'd wish to disclose?
    Is it safe for me to reload and reuse brass with a factory glock barrel given the chamber support issue? I'm sure with minor loads this would be ok but what about major pf?

thanks

2. ltgibson2001

ltgibson2001

Can't answer the major pf question. But for IDPA or Production I use a 180 grain fmj bullet with 3.5 vv320 with a 1.135 oal in my 35. It's softer shooting than my 9mm reloads and still makes pf. I have had no problems with the chamber support but I'm not loading anywhere near major pf.How many times you can reload really depends on the brass. I'm guessing ,but I think I usually get about 10 reloading times out of it.

3. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

3.7gr bullseye, OAL 1.135, federal mag primer.Very Very soft shooting, and it will make the 125pf needed for IDPA.

4. mike from philly

mike from philly

Do you need to re-spring to a lower spring weight with these recipes?

5. tank69

tank69

Excellent timing on your questions, I was pondering the same. BTW, I plan on using my G35 for limited and G34 for Production. Anyone have any major PF recipes for reloads?

6. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

Um, you may need to respring. probably a 15# or a 13# should be fine. You could always just cut a few coils off the stock spring and probably be ok.

7. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Even at major, respringing is a very good idea.

8. splashdown

splashdown nra member

CGR,
    What is the stock recoil spring weight in a G35? Are you suggesting a heavier or lighter spring for major or minor? And finally, why does this change make a difference?

9. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

10. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

and have been loading for it since.. no problem with the major PF loading in the glock Barrels, heck those major loads are usually a lot softer then factory ammo from S&B or Blazer or any of them.

I've been using Titegroup and if you do search in the reloading forum you'll find a fair amount of information regarding competion type loads.

Titegroup 4.4 gr, Win Small Rifle primers, 1.135 oal, 180 gr Berry's or FMJ Flat points, once fired brass mixed makes about 170 PF out of my 35..

or Titegroup 4.2 gr, win small rifle primer, 1.135 oal, 185 gr precision fp, once fired mixed.. about the same PF

or Titegroup 4.2-3 gr, win small rifle primer, 1.135 oal, 180gr Zero JHP's, once fired mixed.. Tested 30 rounds over chrono all but one mad the PF although i've not had this load tested at a match yet on a good chrono with a box.

For Production i was using Titegroup @ 3.5 with 180 berry's same primer, 1.135.. not sure PF but soft...

I'm not the most experienced guy doing this for sure, but feel that if you stick with Jacketed or plated bullets or something similar to the precision type bullets your major PF loads will be just fine..

All guns are different so start out a little lower then what i've used and work up till you get what works out of your G35..

Jeff.

good luck and have fun, i'm going to use my G35 in limited this year :) should be a hoot..

PS: don't ask why the small rifle primers, someone suggested it to me an i went with it, however i'm not sure it makes any difference then say a win small pistol primer. I do think you will find difference compared to the other brands of primers though.

11. Yar

Yar

6 grains bullseye, 180 grain jacketed bullet of choice, 1.125 OAL. Makes major, soft shooter.

12. Joe D

Joe D Guest

IPSC Major load is 4.3 gr of TG with a 180 gr plated bullet. OAL is 1.125 -1.130".
    IDPA load is 3.5 gr of TG. PF is 138-140 with this load. Some may prefer 3.2 at a 130-132 pf.
    Titegroup is my favorite powder. I can buy 8 lbs of TG for just a little more than what 4 lbs of VV costs. I have tried both. I see no performance advantage to VV other than a "sexy" name. Maybe Hodgdon needs to change the name to Tihta Groupuori.
    Not knocking anyone's pet loads, but the use of a rifle primer makes no sense to me. I can understand the need in a 9mm Major load.

13. Carlitos

Carlitos

"For Production i was using Titegroup @ 3.5 with 180 berry's same primer, 1.135.. not sure PF but soft..."

Thats the best load for USPSA Production division as well as for all IDPA divisions that allow the .40 S&W to compete.

14. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

Joe you missed my disclaimer at the end of my post.. :)

I'm sure there is some difference in how they are manufactured compared to small pistol primers but I couldn't tell you what that is.

I chose Titegroup because of all the positive responses on here about it.. and it's cheaper then others. Love it.

Jeff.

15. Joe D

Joe D Guest

I sure did - sorry.

16. splashdown

splashdown nra member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll check out the reloading forum too.

17. slidelock1

slidelock1

Try the TiteGroup and use a full length resising die such as from LEE and you should be happy. I tried different spring combos but right now I am back at stock weight (works best for me with minor or major loads), but Matt knows his stuff and I have learned alot from him and his website.

18. splashdown

splashdown nra member

Yar,
    did you mean to say 6 grains of Bullseye? Seems high and according to info from the reloading bench, Bullseye is a very fast powder. Though I have ZERO experience reloading, this sounds like a kB in the making. Could you clarify that please?

splashdown

19. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

Alliant lists 5.5gr as MAX with a 180gr JHP for bullseye powder.

20. slidelock1

slidelock1

Always verify any load with at least two reputable manuals/sources and 3 is better.