close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Competition range bag

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by misunderestimated, Jun 17, 2012.

1. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

What is everybody using .

I am not talking about a your every day bag for a range visit

First let me say I always shoot with my son and at least 2 divisions for him and 4 for me so it could be 4 guns, I also try and bring a new competitor each match I attend

I want to know what you guys use for a GSSF competition to get your guns up to the line to shoot

I use the California competition works 6 magazine pouches to manage the magazine. I am thinking I am going to purchase the 8 pouch for when I am shooting the plates. I use the hard plastic box Kitty suggested for managing the magazine packages ( I will find the old post and put a link in)

the absolute perfect bag would have 4 kydex style holster like compartments that would leave the back strap exposed so I could label the gun and be able to grab it the proper way. with barrel facing the down range and towards the ground.

Show me what you have or links to anything you think mights help. I like things to be orderly and this weekend was not orderly as we were almost always fumbling in the bag for the next gun and the guns were red hot again.

2. 1RoundEye

1RoundEye

Midway Competition Range Bag is the best around, and will hold everything. They're even on sale though the end of June.

The only downside, is they hold everything and when fully loaded shooting five divisions can way in upward of 60#s.

3. SARDG

SARDG

I have that above bag... sort of. It looks like they changed vendors for their supply as these now have what looks like 2 smaller outside compartments on one side and I suppose 1 full size on the other. This might be beneficial for even more pistol cubby holes - dunno.

The Midway bag I now have is made exactly like this CED bag,
    http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/CED-Professional-Range-Bag.html and I have one of these as well.

This CED bag has full size outer compartments on both sides, and one side will also hold mags. Inside the main compartment on both long sides is a pouch/sleeve to slide a handgun. This is also true on my older Midway bag. Hopefully, it's still true on these newer Midway bags and in that case, you can 'likely' fit up to 5 guns in the new Midway, each with it's own compartment; 2 in the main compartment (one each side), 1 in the big separate side compartment, one in each smaller other side compartment. Compacts and subcompacts should fit easily in the smaller side compartments I would think.

As you suggested, mark the muzzle end of the bag (which would logically NOT be the end where the top flap opens, but the far end), and then be certain everyone returns the gun(s) to the correct cubby hole, facing the correct way. Getting the Midway OD color may be good as it doesn't look like every other range bag in the world and you could write the gun model on the bag with a Sharpie for each pocket. CED bags are even more colorful.

Not only are there mag pouches in the CED and old Midway bag, but there is plenty of room in the center of the main compartment for those other external mag pouches - perhaps 4 of those.

As RoundEye implied... good luck getting it off the ground.

ETA: I now use 2 of those plastic boxes for guns and mags 'cause I got tired of breaking my back with the heavy bag. If I shoot more than 4 Divisions I have to return to my truck for the other guns.ammo. I need a cart - preferably motorized... :)

k

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  4. 9mmdude

9mmdude

I used to use an I-shot range bag and I simplified it to two smith and wesson range bags. I carry guns and mags in one with the three midway range pouches and the ammo in the other.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939160870/midwayusa-tactical-pistol-gun-case

Not to happy with my large bag setup and I like what SARDG posted. I do like the midway small range pouches. At 9.99 they are a steal.

5. gravitybad

gravitybad

Ditto: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939259680/midwayusa-competition-range-bag
    At $44.99 I haven't come across anything that comes close to the quality and size for all your goodies. I've seen the same style from many other companies selling for twice as much...or more. Youtube has plenty of review videos for this bag since Midways website is rather lacking on description and compartment pics.

6. Melissa5

Melissa5

I use Maxpedition pistol cases for each gun and its mags. Then, I stuff 4 of them into a 5.11 patrol ready bag. It comes with a 3-way divider that velcros to the inside of the bag, but I remove that when I carry more than 2 pistols. It's pretty big and has a lot of compartments for stuff. Also, has handles and a shoulder strap. For a recent USPSA match, I got a small cooler and stuff for one gun in there. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  7. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Midway is by far the best cheap bag you can get. For a top of the line bag nearly everyone is using a Shooters Connection bag, but considering how many Chuck gives away at matches it's no wonder you see so many. I had to buy mine, I also use a 5.11 bag for GSSF. My Shooters Connection bag is my main bag and has everything in it, the 5.11 bag is strickly GSSF and a 2nd bag for all the mags and a couple pistols for a match.

8. gsbell

gsbell Consumed

RLE likes this.
  9. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

Thank you everyone for the input. My brother inn law already has the large midway bag and I definitely do not want a bag that big.

Can you fit 2 guns in the small midway bag

maybe I can get 2 of them and then put them in my glock range bag

10. Dragoon189

Dragoon189

I use this
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-017530-FlapJack-Pack/dp/B002B3XO3Y"]Osprey FlapJack Pack: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41wzW4GOgkL.@@AMEPARAM@@41wzW4GOgkL[/ame]
    not exactly most people's chose but lifetime warranty no matter the damage.

11. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

The bag I have has an inter bag that can be pulled out, on both side of that is 2 compartments. So I can carry 6 guns each in its own compartment. No need for another gun rug for the guns. In the middle bag I put two cardboard boxes The big one carries the mags for the 17 and 17L U/L gun. 30 magazines. The small box has 10 mags for the 26 and also has the stripper mag that has an orange base plate. When I get to the firing line I pull out 6 or 8 mags for what I’m shooting plus the stripper mag. When I shoot a course of fire the empty mag goes in the large outside pouch.
    No need for other bags, or containers. Everything fits in one bag. Less weight to carry around, don’t have extra bags that can be left behind. Either before leaving home or at the range. Don’t have to mark gun guns of what gun it is. Or the added expense of magazine carriers.
    The same bag that is used in competition is the same bag used for practice. No I left ? in the other bag.

12. gravitybad

gravitybad

The midway bag is BIG. IF going to a large match or training, i feel it should come with wheels or this:
    radioflyer_2215_11849233.gif

13. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

What bag do you use

14. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

We do have a wagon, Next event it will be two wagons as my brother inn laws bag takes up 3/4 of the wagon. and i want to customize my wagon so it has a bench height table to use to reload the magazines. My knees are not built to kneel on the ground to reload magazines

15. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

Do you have a link to that discussion I cant find it

16. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

The only name that I can find on the bag is (Shooters Tournament Series)
    This is the best wagon I have seen used at a match. They welded a box receiver in the center bottom of the wagon. So that it is flush on both sides, so you don’t bag your legs on it. Then they used an extension that went from the wagon then into the receiver of their vehicle. Then either they pulled the handle off or tied it up.
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs..._-SearchPLPHorizontal1-3-_-NA-_-203222845-_-N

17. Hadoken

Hadoken

I just ordered the Midway compact range bag, tactical pistol bag and some small single pistol bags. Expected delivery is Tuesday I'll try to get some pics with size reference. My idea is to use the tactical bag for my 17 and magazines since it holds 7 and then extra pistols in the small bags. Then stuff those inside the compact range bag. Doubt you could get 5 divisions in it but maybe divide it up on the wagon.

18. MajorD

MajorD

may sound sill but I just use a 5 gallon bucket! just dump all my gear in the bucket. leave it in front of me on the ground when shooting and eject the empty masgs right into the bucket. ugly cheap and effective!