close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Competition holster for Glock 35?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by harleykids, Nov 19, 2002.

1. harleykids

harleykids

Can someone give me some ideas on a good competition holster for my Glock 35? I have a budget of around $70.

I have heard good things about the Bianchi Hemisphere, and at $65 it is within my budget.

Any ideas?

I plan on shooting Limited/Limited 10, and my current Fobus has way too much retention for competition!
    thanks!
    Jason.

2. macgregor45

macgregor45 who???

I have been using a Safariland ummmmmm..... I think it's a 007 model. If I do my part, 1.0 sec draws are the norm. I think it is in your price range. You will need the inner/outer belt for maximum stability though, and that will drive up the price. Also I really like the 771 mag holders also by Safariland.

3. Gluck

Gluck

I also have a 007. It's okay but every-once-in-a-while it really holds on and you end up with a SIW (self induced wedgie).

I don't shoot a Glock much anymore but I've got a 1911 style CR Speed and really like it. It's fast, very adjustable, and it has a lever to lock the pistol when you're not shooting. They make a Glock model and you could get the older model (2000?) for close to your budget. You may want to check the USPSA website classifides for used deals but the Glock models would be a little harder to find. A 1911 model may work with all the shims removed, it seems like I read somewhere that it would but I'm not sure.

How do you like your 35? I've been seriously thinking about simplifying and ditching the high dollar gun for a 35 and shooting lim-10.;P

4. harleykids

harleykids

I really like my 35. I have added the brass magwell, the tungsten extended guide rod, and a 15lb. IMSI spring. I also polished all the trigger parts with my dremel tool on very low speed using Flitz/Semichrome (I like the Semichrone better, IMHO).

I have a KKM match grade barrel on order, that should be here by the end of the week.

I have shot about 200 rounds thru the gun, and am averageing 2.5" 10 shot groups at 25 yards offhand, which is the most accurate pistol I have ever shot offhand at 25 yards! And that is with the stock gun and Winchester factory 180g FMJ ammo!

Accuracy at 10 yards is around 2", maybe less if I can hold still long enough.

I really like the gun. I figure for $600, plus another $400 worth of match barrel, and accessories, I just saved myself $800 (I was going to get the STI Edge 5.0 (or STI Lexor) for $1800, until I stumbled across the Glock 35).

The trigger takes some time to get used to, but I like it now. I equate it to a two-stage rifle trigger, which I prefer in NRA Highpower competition. The Glock is like a two stage trigger also, which gives me time to exhale, focus on the front sight, and squeeze.

thanks to eveyone for the advice!
    Jason.

5. Roger C

Roger C

Which magwell did you add, Harley? I recently put one on and then took it back off. The one I got was poorly fitted and didn't allow magazines (with or without extensions) to fully seat in the gun. So far the guy I bought it from (who will go un-named) hasn't stepped up to take care of it.

6. mlanush

mlanush

harley,

I also have the 007 for my g-21 and it is great and the allen wrench screw was replaced with a screw that came off a old 012(thumb screw) so retention is really easy to change.

In the meantime the Fobus will work a whole lot better if you drill out the rivet by the trigger guard and replace it with a screw and lock nut, then adjust as needed. I had mine so loose it flew out. I have pics if you need to see what I did.......

I used the fobus for about a yr and a friend found the 007 for 35.00 and I couldnt pass it up.. Hope this helps........

mlanush

7. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Harley,

I'm currently using a CR Speed holster with my G35 and I am very happy with the results.

8. harleykids

harleykids

I drilled out the rivet just below the trigger guard, and added a thin washer in the seam between the two holster halves. Then I used a locking nut and allen pan head machine screw to secure.

This spreads the retention triggerguard out just enough to lighten the snap in retention.

I tried three different thicknesses of wahsers, and got three different degrees of retention. So I picked the one that held the gun securely when I ran, but offered the least amount of drawing force.

Actually, it is very nice now! And I have an adjustable retention holster to boot!

I can send pictures if anyone is interested.

thanks for the help!

Jason.

9. harleykids

harleykids

\

I bought the brass THE Magwell from Custom Racing Glock. I actually bought the "Heavy Metal Package" for $119 from them. I got the extended tungsten guide rod, the 15lb. spring, and the 5.5 oz. brass magwell, all comes in the package.

I am really happy with everything. The only problem I have had is that the front part of the magwell likes to move down (away from the bottom of the gun frame) about 1/16th of an inch. Everything is snugged up, tightened, with locktight. It doesn't affect the gun in any way, but is just kind of a pet peeve of mine. Anyone else see this problem? But it will accept any mag, period, no problems whatsoever in seating any mag out there! I really like it, as it adds weight where it should, and gives you a giant funnel for reloading!

The tungsten guide rod is nice, although the attention to detail and machining marks could be alot better, it looks sloppily cut, in my opinion. But it functions great, and adds weight to offset the magwell, and acutally keeps the muzzle lower under recoil, in my opinion. The only reason I mention it is that if someone buys a $45 guide rod, it should look like a $45 guide rod, not a $15 home-cut piece of rod! The 15lb. spring has been great, perfectly reliable after 200 rounds, and drops the brass out of the gun about 2 feet away, instead of 6 feet.

If Matt at Custom Racing Glock reads this post, maybe he can help me with my magwell issue? And take my suggestion on improving the aesthetics of the guide rod.

10. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Harley,

I was experiencing the same problem that you described, and it turned out that the Allen screw that held the magazine well to the brass frame insert had loosened itself. I found this problem to be rather interesting since I had originally applied blue Loctite to that particular screw when I had put the magazine well on the G35. I then decided to use red Loctite and the problem has since disappeared for good.

Now with regards to the guide rod could you post a picture of the guide rod that you received, since it has been my experience with all of the parts that I have purchased from The Accessories the workmanship on them has been second to none but then again YMMV.

11. harleykids

harleykids

I used blue Loctite on mine as well. I will check my allen screw tonight, and take a picture of the guide rod, although I am not sure I can get close enough with my digital camera to show the machining marks. I will switch to red Loctite tonight as well!

Thanks for the advice!
    Jason.

12. Roger C

Roger C

That looks just like mine, right down to the KKM barrel. Which sights are those? They are very low profile.

13. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Hi Roger C,

Those sights are the Low Profile Bo-Mars that Matt Kartozian is currently offering over at Custom Glock http://www.customglock.com/

14. Twix

Twix whatever

Harley Kids- sounds like you have your holster set up for now. My pal also likes his CR Speed. I use a Hogue Powerspeed, you may be able to get a deal on one of these because of a po'd 1911 owner as this holster is good for Glocks but not so good for 1911,s. Ryacusta, that is a good looking blaster. I have CGR's Top Fuel Trigger and Matt also fitted a Bar-sto barrell for me. This gun is very accurate and the trigger is so light and crisp! The trigger reset is so short and quick I haven't even come close to mastering it yet. The trigger and barrell along with the THE brass magwell change the whole complexion of the G35. It is a very competitive gun for not that much money, at least in IPSC terms, and you can do the mods one at a time as funds allow instead of springing for the whole gun at once.

15. Twix

Twix whatever

About that tungsten guide rod, I wouldn't worry too much about a few machining marks as your rod will probably deveope a wear ring towards the front anyway.

16. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

I might as well chime in here...sounds like a good competition Glock thread. :cool:

I use a G35 for USPSA (and other) competitons. Mine has the stock barrel and recoil spring, no magwell, polished trigger parts & lighter running (trigger) springs, and Hienie sights. It works more than well enough for the game.

I started out with a Fobus holster. I had trouble getting below 1.2 seconds on the draw. I bought a used Hogue Power Speed (off a pissed off 1911 guy ;) ) and was able to start getting draws below 1.0 in practice.

Now that I have learned the fundamentals...I can get fast draws out of the Fobus as well.

I have a Master class classifer on record with an Uncle Mike's holster that I borrowed (my power speed was setup for an Open gun that day). I have ran at the GM level in a couple of classifers (in Production) with the Fobus. I dry-fired a buddy's new Super Hooper after a match Sunday, easy sub 1.0 draws.

I guess what I am getting at is that you can get there without spending a bunch on a holster.

Go Glock!

17. Twix

Twix whatever

Glad you chimed in here. I was messing with my Hogue tonight (after watching about 1/2 hour of Matt Burkett's video I realized about 20 things I could improve on). When I get the holster about where I want it the inside of the butt of the gun is like 90mm's away from my body. If I'm reading the rules right 50mm's is the max, and I don't see any way to adjust the hogue for that direction. 3QT couldn't remember how you had yours set up when I asked him.I am wearing it a little in front of the hip. Any tips? BTW it really ticks me off that you are knocking on Limited Master and you don't even use a magwell. Grrr.

18. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

BTW it really ticks me off that you are knocking on Limited Master and you don't even use a magwell. Grrr

How about Swede20? He just made Grand Master with a pretty basic setup.

Chris Patty runs pretty bare in Master too.

I can't say reloads are my strong point, but you don't need the magwell for the ones that are executed correctly. It's those flubbed reloads that need the well. ;)

On the Power Speed...is your's so far forward that the magwell is pointing toward the side?

19. harleykids

harleykids

I have pictures of my modified Glock 35 Fobus. I can get much quicker draw times now, since the retention has been cut down to "resonable" competition level!

I hope these pictures come out!

thanks to all for the info! It is great!
    Jason Walker.

20. harleykids

harleykids

Here is a side view. The washer actually looks alot thicker than it is (for some strange reason) in the picture.