Competition Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by insanity., Aug 12, 2007.

1. insanity.

insanity. CLM

For a first time competition/match gunner what would be the best thing to go for as far as a glock to shoot in competition?

2. MOTHERGREEN

MOTHERGREEN

3. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

It would help to know what type of competition.

4. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Whatever the form of competition, do you already own anything remotely suitable? I cannot see the sense in buying a gun before trying out the event. Even if you don't have anything that will get you by, a polite approach will usually get you the loan of a gun and often the gift of enough ammo to shoot the first time.

That way, if you don't like the game, you are not out anything.

5. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

Don't buy anything until you try it. At the very least handle and operate the controls on a couple different outtings to get an idea of what works and doesn't work for you.

There are many pistols that should work. A 17 is better for most folks many reasons for buying a new handgun.

I only use compacts and subcompacts and I am not disadvantaged.

Jim made a good point of laying out money before you know if you even like the sport.

I have seen many with deep pockets that listen to others and by the time they are done they have purchased 3-4 or more pistols and are disinterested becasue they thought the "best" would help their shooting and it didn't. Beware of the "best" It is not for everyone and real "practice" will get you farther than what someone thinks is the best.

luck
    sb

6. insanity.

insanity. CLM

My carry weapon is a 19. The glock shoot is about 10 minutes from my house at my gun club so I would like to shoot in that and any weekly/monthly events around me. I wasn't quite sure my 19 would be good enough against "other" guns in the open type competitions.

7. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

For 6 months to a year your 19 will do well for IDPA, TSA, production and limited 10.

If you like the sport you are shooting and then think you need something else at least you have an idea then of what you want / need.

I like the compacts better than the P/Ts and full size Glocks; I have old eyes to boot.

Your 19 will if you can.

sb

8. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

The G19 will serve you well in competition.
    G17 is probably the best all around choice,IMO but even I shoot a G23 from time to time.