Compensated Glocks and IPSC/IDPA

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Matrix62, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Matrix62

Matrix62

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a 19C mostly for my young son who gets tired of holding up my bull barreled Ruger .22.

However, what are the implications of it's potential use in IPSC/IDPA? I would drop in a standard barrel - would this be legal in production IPSC? How about IDPA?

What if I wanted to use an aftermarket barrel?

Thanks.

2. gsbell

gsbell Consumed

No go in IDPA. How big is your boy? I'd think even a relatively young boy could handle a Glock 19 if his hands are big enough to fit the grip and reach the trigger.

3. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

This does not strike me as a good idea. If your son is not big enough and strong enough to hold up a Ruger .22, then he is probably not big enough to manage the recoil of a 9mm at half the weight, no matter how many extra holes are in the barrel. Junior needs exercise and growth, not a light centerifire that will kick him into a flinch that will last him the rest of his life.

As far as IDPA goes, barrels with superfluous holes are not allowed. A standard or aftermarket replacement barrel is ok.

USPSA Production does not allow ported barrels either, but I do not know their policy on replacements.

4. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

As long as the barrel is not ported it is ok. From the USPSA list of approved production handguns:

5. sidewinder6

sidewinder6

IIRC the weapon would be ESP.

6. Matrix62

Matrix62

Thanks all,

Son is 10 1/2... Too young for weight training although I am considering teaching him the correct weightlifting posture and motions with no serious weight to speak of.

I could get the G19C with an extra barrel for now, and keep it in reserve for when he gets a little older.

7. M4inCA

M4inCA pho_kit_all

Your son doesn't have to be rambo to handle a 9mm. IDPA is a no-go for the 19C as mentioned before. Also, you could powderpuff the 9mm load for your son. I've run 4.3g to 4.5g of unique behind a 115g rainier and it's really light, my girl runs them all the time.