Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I understand correctly there are 3 way to make a long-slide Glock 19...

Chop the grip of the 17 or 34

Get a 19L slide and barrel from Brownells

Get a 19L barrel and gap filler and recoil rod from Lonewolf

What do you think are the pro's and cons of each method, especially the later two?

I think that in regards to reliability and standard parts cutting down the grip of a 17 or 34 would be the best. However, it is also permanent. I think this case is the more readily understood one.

Therefore I'd like to focus on comparing the Brownells method and the Lonewolf method.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Thanks.
TED

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
I am a purist.

If you want a Glock 17L, buy one.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may very well be a purist. You are also a literacy or comprehension challenged elitist.

I never mentioned a 17L. I mentioned a 17 or 34 length slide on a 19 length grip.

I already have a 17L, 24, & 35. Eventually I will get a 34 as well.

I promise you there is no chance in hell that I would ever cut the grip on my 17L or 24.

Does anyone else have any productive ideas?

Thanks.

TED

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Myself, I would opt for the 19L slide and barrel. I think Brownells sells them as a Gen 3, I looked into getting one a while back but they were OOS. I also would not want to chop down the grip unless I could get a used G17 in decent shape on the cheap.

The lone wolf slide adapter would require a barrel and new recoil spring, probably also the cheapest method. I don't really know if I would trust that enough to be a carry gun (which is what most want a 19L for) compared to just getting the 19L slide and seeing if it would run reliably or not.

·
Registered
228 Posts
One option not mentioned here, and I'll get flamed for mentioning it, Polymer 80 PF940CL (Compact Long Slide).
G19 sized frame mated with a G17 slide.

·
Who, me?
1,210 Posts
I recommend chopping a G17 frame. But, not the original frame - purchase another Glock OEM G17 frame, and trim it to size. This will be the most reliable option (all OEM), and allows you to retain the original frame.

I've done this to make a G26L (G19 slide, G26-sized grip). It works great, and is completely reliable.

Reactions: IBreakthings

·
NRA Life Member
67,845 Posts
Your going to need a fully qualified reptile dentist for this job. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Gen 3 G19's and G17's do not interchange uppers. They have a totally different lock up.G17 on the left, G19 on the right.

Automotive tire Toy Engineering Gas Machine

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
9,288 Posts
You may very well be a purist. You are also a literacy or comprehension challenged elitist.

I never mentioned a 17L. I mentioned a 17 or 34 length slide on a 19 length grip.

I already have a 17L, 24, & 35. Eventually I will get a 34 as well.

I promise you there is no chance in hell that I would ever cut the grip on my 17L or 24.

Does anyone else have any productive ideas?

Thanks.

TED
Close the thread!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I chopped a Gen 3-31 to a subcompact grip and rounded the butt similar to a snub nose revolver with a rounded butt.

wasn't that difficult, wrapped some tape around the grip of the 31 and used some drill bits the size of the frame pins to line up a sub compact frame on each side to mark it then used a dermal with a cut off wheel, I cut it long and then fitted the length to the sub compact mag.

I used some play-doh to damb up the area at the THM and filled the back strap void with Loctite marine grade epoxy, once hardened I sanded to shape and cut checkering in with a small file similar to the checkering on the back strap then used some Krylon flat black paint for plastic.

it did have a very different feel as there was no back strap hump as found on the stock sub compact frame but it did carry well IWB, small butt stock of the sub compact with a full length slide.

was I happy with the results? - yes, would I do it again? - no.

if I wanted something similar, shorter butt - longer slide, I'd be inclined to get a threaded barrel for the smaller framed gun and add a comp.

Reactions: Willard

·
Infidel :)
3,858 Posts
Chopped 17 frames do not feel like a 19 frame.
Nope, they don't.

Chopped and old used 17 to a 19 years ago and never look back. :)

BEST way to keep the gun / guts original and keep going bang.

Shoots like a DREAM, now one of it not my favorite Glock out of the twenty some odd I have owned (between it and my G20 :))

Tired my 34 upper on it for giggles; chopped a 19 to a 26; NEITHER gave me the same feel / results or shot as well as the 17 to 19 did.

Would NOT even consider doing this to a G21 to a G30. :O

Do it :) I actually plan to build another, a Gen 5 17 cut to a 19. :)

(and yes, I own a 19 also and STILL prefer my " 19L " :)

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
MacGyver
7,947 Posts
What does it achieve, besides busy work in making something that is not? Really, what performance do you gain for the effort?

·
Registered
72 Posts
What does it achieve, besides busy work in making something that is not? Really, what performance do you gain for the effort?
Better ballistics, you can argue it is not much but numbers don't lie, especially with +P+.
Longer sight radius than that of a G19.
Easier to conceal in almost every carry position.
Can accept all my G19 Mags.

How much more performance gain over a 19 do you need?

Additionally, many who have done it will agree the grip feel is better than that of a G19.

Oh, and doing something that benefits you is not "busy work" Being on a gun forum is busy work;)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I built a Glock 19 XXL I love it why it's America and I can and one day I had a bug up my butt to build a unique looking Glock.
It's a factory Glock 19 Gen 3 lower spinta precision Glock 34 upper
....... looks like a Zev technologies dragonfly knock off........
And a lone wolf Glock 19 XXL conversion barrel so no locking block problems Glock 34 length barrel that works with the model 19.
And I can't remember the name of the piece but the lone Wolf Gap adapter is what I'll call it to fill in the the gap at the end of the 19 frame so it seamlessly fills the Gap where the recoil rod would be seen.
And Apex aluminum trigger.
With a vortex venom site.
Nothing I would use for home defense or everyday carry.
But it's one hell of a cool looking range toy very smooth shooting very low recoil. Fun to shoot franken Glock.
Whole reason I built it.
I've always been a sucker and like the look of long slides.

One day for the right price I hope to come across a ATM hardballer for my collection 7 inch slide and barrel on a .45
The gun used by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the original Terminator movie.

·
I'm not retired
7,672 Posts
Looks like the best method is to buy a Gen 3 19 and the 19L slide and barrel. You cannot have a 19L with a 17 frame if you want a true 19L (if there is such a thing). Also with buying the 19 and adding the 19L slide and barrel, you can sell the OEM 19 slide and barrel. In the end, everything is OEM except the 19L slide. Chopping a 17/34 leaves you with a chopped 17/34 that'll accept 19 mags. That's not a 19L.

eta - is the extended barrel for the 19L slide an OEM barrel or AM?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
eta - is the extended barrel for the 19L slide an OEM barrel or AM?
Likely aftermarket of some kind, as neither the older 17 or 34 bbl will function with the 19 frame due to lockup. Brownells was offering a barrel with their 19L slide, so my understanding is it requires it's own special barrel.

You can, I guess, have a 17.5 or even a 34.5 bbl cut to fit since technically those do work on a 19 frame, if one wanted OEM. The 17.5 might even fit it perfectly, haven't saw much on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts