1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Why so serious?
66,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
NRA Life Member
14,407 Posts
I wouldn't say Android's is miles ahead. Especially since you have to root it or have a special version of the OS to make changes. Getting to settings from quick settings is nice, but I definitely would not choose a phone based on the differences.

·
Unfair Facist
27,054 Posts
The reason that android is miles ahead is because you don't have to root or have a special edition of the OS.

All you need to do is download a free app like widgetsoid and create your own drop down settings the way you want it to be with what you want in it.

·
NRA Life Member
14,407 Posts
OK, you should tell the author of the article that.

Though you can't swap out Quick Settings items on pure Android, there are workarounds to achieve that, some of which require intricate knowledge of rooting and custom ROM.

·
NRA Life Member
14,407 Posts
And it's unfortunate that you can't on the version on my wife's old Samsung, but I can still put iOS 7 on my old iPhone 4 that was purchased the same day.

·
Unfair Facist
27,054 Posts
The author is correct you cannot change the system quick settings yourself without rooting. He just neglected to mention that you can create your own with free apps like widgetsoid.

·
442 Posts
The reason that android is miles ahead is because you don't have to root or have a special edition of the OS.
Agreed, and with recent top tier hardware and latest Android OS, even those of us who typically root are reconsidering keeping stock.

Good example, my S4 has provided enough user defined options that I've not yet busted it open. Granted, I have disabled a lot of Verizon bloatware, replaced the launcher, etc. Also turned off a number of Samsung proprietary features, instead opting to use Google Apps by default.

Although root to flash OS 4.3 is enticing, having heard the latency issue has been addressed, it's not enough to get me to dump a well oiled Samsung build that suits my needs for time being.

·
Why so serious?
66,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have truly enjoyed my Nexus 4. Solid OS, solid phone. Mature Android is a far far different beast than earlier versions.

I wonder if Windows 8x will pick up any former (or ex-potential) Blackberry folks.

·
Sheriffs a near
7,135 Posts
The way she described how some things are in the settings menu make me wonder if what she is looking at, on the Android side.

Some of the things she is complaining about you just need to enable in the settings menu or add to your home/lock screen.

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,739 Posts
Only reason I rooted my android was so I could delete some of the bloatware.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts