Compare GNS and Trijicon NS

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by ricky_arthur, Mar 26, 2010.

1. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

I have some Glock night sights and a set of Trijicon night sights, both are new. I found it is near impossible to get a good pic in no light situations with my digital camera, but I did get one that gives a good idea of the 2 sights. There are visible differences between the two. Can you pick out the GNS from The TNS?

[​IMG]

Are the GNS top or bottom?:supergrin:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

Since everyone raves about the trij, they are on the bottom, GNS on top... the bottom (trij) is clearly brighter.

3. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I'll go with the inverse of what Dreamaster said--Meps on the bottom! :whistling:

--Ray

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Meps on bottom,.......final answer.

5. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

Answer.... The GNS are on bottom. The difference is more obvious than the pic shows, and it suprised me as I fully expected the Trijicon to be brighter.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Just noticed I typed Meprolight. Been trying to decide between both sets.
    Thanks for posting this! :wavey:

7. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I typed "Meps" too, and here's why (from a prior post):

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, combat-type sights, and have a staked-on front sight, which pretty much dedicates that sight to one gun. Most aftermarket Meps have the common thread-on front sight. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken to avoid harsh solvents when cleaning, as the white o-rings are painted on.

faawrenchbndr and I were both right...

I took into account the aspect change between the two pictures, the overall quality of the image, and the fact that the rear sights are over exposed in both shots (no disrespect meant to the OP!). These shots are hard to do well without professional equipment.

Fun post! :thumbsup:

--Ray

8. Glock212327

Glock212327

Can you post a picture of what they would look like during the day time. Why i ask is ive seen some that the circles are white and i have seen some that are clear looking. I'm looking to get a Glock 22 with night sights but the ones they are selling are clear and hard to see during the day time. Thanks.

9. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

Sure thing, Here is a daylight pic of just how the sights were situated in the dark picture above.

[​IMG]

As you can see the Trijicon look a little neater in the light but don't give quite as obvious a reference.

10. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

Positive for Mep and GNS are the brightness and the non painted rings. Trigs are ok,but IMHO not really worth the premium they ask.

And GNS are have a screw on front these days

11. Glock212327

Glock212327

Thanks for the pictures. It appears on this Glock 22 i'm was going to by it had Trijicon on them but the white paint came off.

12. khufford

khufford

The Trijicons are a "crisper" dot, I have them on my G23. The ones on my G27 are GNS and they are a little brighter.

13. RayB

RayB Retired Member

They're both excellent products, and like I said, the Trijicons have a better target sight picture, for you sharper-eyed shooters.

Trijicon imports their tritium lamps.

The Trijicon sights on Judy's G19 have held up fine, but I take care not to use harsh solvents on them, nor to scrub them aggressively.

Use of a silicone gun cloth makes subsequent cleanings easier, as the light shines right through the silicone, but the silicone acts like a dirt release for cleaning.

Using cleaner burning ammo helps too--like CCI Blazer over WWB.

Meprolight manufactures their tritium lamps. The lamps have a larger aperture, and the recess in which they're inserted is lined with "white" to bounce more light back to the eye. In short, Meps appear brighter than other sights. Don't confuse sharpness with brightness. :freak:

By design, the front sight on the Meps appears slightly brighter than the rear sight does.

AmeriGlo combines Trijicon lamps with white PVC (plastic) o-rings for sight markers. Their selection of night sight configurations is outstanding, and the product and customer service is first-rate.

AmeriGlo's new website is indeed sexy, and there are discount codes available to GT members for purchasing AmeriGlo sights. :thumbsup:

--Ray