close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Compaq Presario 1260 - any Compaq laptop gurus?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MB-G26, Aug 14, 2004.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

Short and sweet version:
    Kiddo, thinking that since he learned so much about XP while we were in Kali, plugged in a PS2 connecting "Star Track Trackball TB95W" to the above-referenced laptop (gifted to him by a kind GT'er - kiddo just started high school) while Win98x was running. (No, you can't 'hot swamp' in 98, dear.... )

As a result, we've lost the Touchpad completely, the display looks like "safe mode" even though it's not in safe mode, and I've 'undone' what I can using the usual 98-compatible methods. Hangs on shut down, etc. etc.

I've been through the system.ini, etc., heeded the bootup error msgs about conflicting devices, uninstalled the SW that went w/the ancient, POS Trackball ("Windows 95 compatible"), done the msconfig stuff, you name it, I 'been there.

Found a website that lists a Win98 driver for it, but it's available only upon email request and I haven't heard back.

Despite doing all the usual Win98 protocols for a 'fix, still have both problems - no Touchpad and screwed up LCD display.

I'm very hestitant to use the OEM "Quick Restore" CD because I don't yet have a print out of that's in the laptop, don't have the existing (working) drivers backed up (no touchpad/mouseability, thus very difficult to navigate w/tab/error/enter keys), and don't yet know whether the existing guts match the OEM guts, drivers, etc.

I did all the usual moves re system.ini, config.sys, msconfig, you name it - all the usual problem solving moves. Still not fixed.

Ran Bellarc Advisor to do a inventory of what's in and on the machine, but no printer is attached and w/o navigation functionality it's nearly impossible to get BA to run again so I can put the laptop in my lap and type here what it detects.

Anybody familiar w/Compaq Presario laptops in the 1,000, 12xx series?
    Ideas?

I found and ran a utility from the Touchpads mfg that detected it and verified it as a "genuine" "Synaptics PS/2 Standard Touchpad rev 4.6" Com1 (0x3f8): no serial pointing device found

Plan thus far is to:
    1. Go buy a real mouse, and install in keeping w/98's installation protocols, and hope it will work like a mouse so that I can -
    2. Run Bellarc Advisor again and copy to floppy the resulting info.
    3. Attempt to back up existing drivers and any sw that's installed that looks most likely like it's NOT Compaq OEM for the machine.
    4. Come up with a subplan that solves the problem (yeah, right).
    5. Run "Quick Restore" CR as a last result......

Even locating, DL'g and installing the newer Touchpad OEM drivers and sw (touchpad 'control panel' and other functionality interfaces) hasn't solved either the 'disappearing' Touchpad functinality.

Additionally, since kiddo dived in with the stupid Trackball POS, the screen display looks like it's half way in 'safe mode', and I can't seem to get the display settings to 'stick' above "16 colors" (or whatever that entry is).

So, we remain w/o Touchpad functionality and a proper screen display (fonts look all wierd - like 'safe mode' only worse)

Ideas?
    m

No sweetheart, you can NOT just plug a new device into 98 while it is running..... only XP will let you do that..... ;Q

2. sandboy6184

sandboy6184

Before I give a real answer, do you have windows 2000?

3. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

I long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I repaired these devices on a daily basis.

Run the restore CD. It's pretty much the only thing that's going to get the device operational again.

4. MB-G26

No. The whole problem is that kiddo 'hot-swapped' (i.e., plugged in a new and previously NONinstalled device) on a Windows 98SE laptop, orig OEM Compaq.

Well, let's see.. spent until 10:20am Sat. morning trying to deal with. It seems that the OEM 'Restore' partition does not and did not exist when the machine reached us. It seems that Win98SE "Backup" component is NOT installed. It seems that even now that I've been dealing with the 'duplicate entry/call' error msgs re system.ini, AND have deleted all references to the POS Trackball which started the problem, according to some error msgs apparently the mouse driver being utilized is a Win NT driver?

At the same time boot error msg is still telling me, re "vmouse", that
    BTDT, BTDT, BTDT.

Argh!
    m

5. MB-G26

Ahhhhhh.... but you forget what a stubborn redhead I am, LOL!

I actually managed to fix both problems, the whole problems, and it's back to normal again.
    So... being the dutiful minigeek that I aspire to be, I install Win98SE Backup and start to do a backup - DOH! 'The CD drive is a reader. *sigh* Oh well, since it does have a USB port, looks like it's gonna be a process of backing up in small increments to a HD subdirectory, installing the 98 jumpdrivers for the USB 128MB Jump/thumbnail drive I have, using the Jump drive to transport to kiddo's XP machine, and then burn CDRWs or DVDs on that.

No clue why the Compaq OEM backup partition isn't there, etc. (did a bit of reading in the OEM manuals) but it isn't, so the only option WOULD have been a complete write-over reinstall using the OEM "Restore Disk". Bah.

Mostly I just want to preserve the Registry, selected files, the drivers, etc., and stuff that's completely unique to the laptop and its internals. Although..... I suppose I could try installing an external Zip100 drive that I have (but that was a PITA and a half when I installed it on my orig, old win98se box).

But what the heck, two days later I emerge (to go to bed) triumphant ;f (Any nobody thinks that having known DOS, win3.x, and any of that "old" stuff about system files is of any value in these XP hand-holdy days, heheh......)
    m

6. nothing

nothing Advertisement

If I remember correctly that laptop is about 6 or 7 years old. At the time compaq and most other OEM's did not use backup partitions. This is mainly because they came with restore disks. Many new computers do not come with restore disks although they can be ordered. They rely on the backup partition to restore they system in the event of a failure. This is a good idea until the hard drive dies. If you have access to an external cd writer you might be able to create your backups that way. I've go to say, if you've gotten 6 years out of that laptop you've been very lucky. When I worked as tech at compusa 99-2001 we worked mainly on compaq laptops and computers. They had the highest failure rate of any brand of manufactured computers I'd ever seen. 9 out of 10 computers in my que at any given time were compaqs and they almost always had motherboard failures.