Compaq laptop network issue

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by truck2252, Sep 8, 2005.

1. truck2252

truck2252

Need help with a strange laptop issue. I am using a compaq nc6220 laptop. My problem is the internal network card works fine untill u close the laptop and it goes into standy mode. Upon relogging in and going to the web the network driver is still present in device manager but no connections are available. This problem is intermident. The only fix is to restart the laptop. I have no idea why or what will cause this. The network drivers have been reloaded but the problem still remains. Anyone have this issue or know a fix?

Thanks

2. philkryder

philkryder

Is your DHCP IP lease expired?

3. jpa

jpa CLM

That's most likely the problem. Release and renew. To save power in standby a lot of PCs shut down the NIC by default.

Start > Run > "command" (Enter)
    at a DOS prompt type "ipconfig"
    Look for your IP address. If it's 0.0.0.0 or a 169.x.x.x number, you need to renew. You should also be able to see "Lease Obtained" and "Lease Expires" date/times.

If you need to renew your IP type "ipconfig /renew"
    It should bring up the ipconfig screen with a new IP.
    Type exit to exit the DOS window.

4. pyblood

pyblood

Try this: Go into the device manager and double click on the network card. After it opens up, click on the power management tab and select “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power…..” Select OK, and see if the problem continues to happen.