close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Company's hats , promotional things and such

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by tercel89, May 15, 2017.

1. tercel89

tercel89

I am most likely older than most guys here. I see guys and gals wearing gun and gun related hats and such a lot . I like a certain gun related product that helps keep guns oiled and cleaned. I called them about getting a cap from them since I use their product a lot. I use it and promote it through word of mouth very much. They told me to go to buy their caps on some website. I know that now days people want to make make money , but not so long ago , a lot of companies would give away caps and shirts for free promotional support. The fact that they told me to go buy their ball cap kinda made me sad. I am not looking to get everything free , but I use a lot of this companies product and such. Back several years ago I was given several things to promote this and that. But this really put a bad taste in my mouth. I'll keep using this companies product since it's really good but I sure have a different opinion of them now . I see people wearing a certain "high end cooler" shirts and caps. People pay for those shirts and caps to wear around while giving the company free advertisement. It's their choice . But I'd rather get one free since I have paid for their products and like their products and used them for several years . What are your thoughts ?

2. 2@low8

2@low8

I got a dozen hats, 5 t shirts and more stickers than I can use for free at the NRA show in Atlanta. I wont pay to advertise. In fact, my dad fussed at me for having white letter tires. he peeled the dealer stickers off his new cars first thing.

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

I've been gave more promotional stuff than I cared to have. Give most away at work and trash the rest. If it were me selling a product I'd either have a rewards points system for smaller stuff or give away decals and hats with the product. I don't advertise if I'm not getting something out of it.

mc1911, Frankwt and tercel89 like this.
  4. willieH

willieH

You're not looking to get stuff for free, but you're irritated for not getting free stuff.

GoBigOrange, March817, glide and 19 others like this.
  5. trooper2899

trooper2899 trooper2899

On the subject of "gun related" hats etc - I have about a hundred hats I've accumulated over the years......is anyone else leery of wearing "Gun" hats or LE Hats when they're armed, when I'm carrying a firearm I usually wear a "john Deere" or "Luray Caverns" hat plus I'n sure the cops (I was one for 30 odd years) give you the once over if you're wearing a "Glock" or "Sigarms" hat .

Going through the Canadian Border is another place NOT 2 have an NRA or Glock Hat sitting on your vehicles back deck - if U have an NRA sticker on yer bumper there's a good chance you will be "tossed".........even urban chit heads might get alarmed if U come meandering into their Mickey D's robbery wearing a "Glock" hat

6. Nunya Business

Nunya Business

The older I get the more I find that I’d rather not invite random strangers into my world. And I’ve also been around long enough to figure out that one of the best ways to invite people in is to have a shirt or a hat or a sticker on my car with a logo on it that they disagree with.

I don't advertise my political leanings, my religious beliefs, or my status as a gun owner. I don't wear logoed clothing (except for a Cabella's hat) I don't put bumper stickers on my car. It isn't worth the hassle & people seem to think it's an invitation to interject their opinion on whatever bumper sticker / T-shirt / hat / brand of tool; I may have a logo on.

7. techiej

techiej

I don't advertise to the world about my hobbies and I won't pay for advertisements to wear. I do wear my (free) NRA cap when I'm at the range.

I will admit to wearing some clothing that has subtle logos on it but that's about it; and that's only because they were a good price.

8. F350

F350

I specifically avoid buying even shirts that have the company logo on them (Under Armor, Izod)

I guess I'm even worse than your dad, I had the dealership remove their own (dang) decal before I would buy it

Advantages of living in Free America; I don't worry about it, especially since I'm open carrying when weather allows. I've only had one LEO here in WY say anything and it was because he recognized my sidearm as a 1911 but it had a double stack mag and we talked guns for 5 min or so.

9. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I don't like to advertise for free. You know how when you buy a car, the dealer gives you plastic license plate frames with their name on it? First thing I do is remove it or turn it around.

dbarry and tercel89 like this.
  10. tercel89

tercel89

Nope , I just don't understand people paying for things to advertise for free and how these companies have leaned towards these practices. I've got 15 maybe more receipts of their product . I guess times have changed .

dbarry and GunTotinMama like this.
  11. -JCN-

-JCN-

I would rather have a company charge less for a product and not give out free crap to people.

In the day of the Internet, it's about TARGETED advertising. Someone posting a positive review here will do more for business than you wearing a hat around the grocery store to non-gunners.

Times have changed. A hat isn't good return on their advertising investment. If you want one for a fashion statement, buy one. If they are giving you free hats, that means you are paying for it with increased product costs. TAANTAFL

Earl Smith, PzGren, rfd339 and 3 others like this.
  12. jmohme

jmohme

The only own one hat that advertises a company. That hat has my company logo on it.
    I only advertise for myself.

13. trooper2899

trooper2899 trooper2899

In urban areas if you are carrying concealed and plain clothes cops don't know who U are its not uncommon for them to "brush" you or bump into U in a hallway or an elevator or on a staircase, or even in a mens room of some bars and restaurants. In Manhattan these days there are hundreds of uniformed cops and maybe a third as many in plain clothes out on the streets, they sometimes might ask you for directions or strike up a conversation with you and eventually decide whether to question U - its not necessarily "kosher" but there are cops who "recover" 50-60 guns a year from people who either don't know or don't care that they're in violation. Anyone think that their supervisors are aghast over this ? If the search is ruled not-Kosher the gun still goes into a smelter or becomes part of a reef off Coney Island if its not legally possessed in NYC .

14. Dave514

Dave514

I buy what I like and wear what I like without much consideration to logos. But I don't wear gun related apparel because, to me, it screams 'I gotta gun!'.

15. billkill

billkill

You could simply go to a trade show where that company has a booth, (like the S.H.O.T)

16. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

I give most of mine away. Many of the companies that I ordered AR parts from over the last 10 years have sent me decals, shirts, hats, koozies and little trinkets. If It looks good, I'll wear it. Most of the hats don't fit my head right. I always use the koozies. I do have a nice CZ hat that the dealer gave me when I bought my 75B high polish. I wear it.
    I don't really care what others think.

BigMick and ronj1 like this.
  17. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I have Glock/GSSF hats, a nearly worn out Wilson hat and a S&W hat my nephew gave me for Christmas because he enjoyed shooting my .357 at Thanksgiving. One GSSF hat was my hat for joining in '99 the rest I bought at matches to support the program. The Wilson has some memoribilia pinned on it.

I liked the eagle with the 1911.

18. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

While I agree with you, once the company has made the decision to give away hats (or whatever), I am likely to grab one if I can, as I do wear hats when pistol shooting, canoeing/kayaking, or during other outdoor activities, and I hate buying one just to get it sweaty and dirty. It needs to be rather generic if I'm intending to wear it out in public (no gun companies or anything else that indicates I might be armed, although I do keep a few Glock hats around for when I shoot competitions), but some hats with simple logos have nothing to really indicate a gun connection for people who are not familiar with the brand. Plus, if the company is spending part of my purchase money on promotional goods, then I want to get a piece of that action, or I feel a little like I've been short-changed.

Our local sporting goods chain (Scheels) usually gives you a choice of a "free" hat or T-shirt when you buy a gun, and they have several types/styles to choose from. I usually grab a low-crown cap in a drab or camo color and use the heck out of it, trash it when it gets dirty, then replace it when I make my next major purchase. I haven't had to specifically buy a general-purpose or woodswalking cap in decades. And for what they charge for firearms, I always want to be getting as much out of them as I can for each purchase...

-JCN- likes this.
  19. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Yes, you are looking to get stuff for free. And you apoear to be a bit of a drama queen

ucfgrad93, ronj1 and TacticalDesire like this.
  20. rfd339

rfd339

Got a M&P camo t-shirt and matching hat from my lgs where I bought my last three M&P's. I gave the hat to my brother and the t-shirt shunk up to fit his son , so he has it. No gun stickers on truck, hell I take the dealer sticker and license plate frame off..lol. Still dig RWL tires though..