close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Companies other than Alienware?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by LoWRyDa, Aug 16, 2006.

1. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

So, which custom computer manufacturers are on par with Alienware? I’m going to be selling my current PC to a friend so that I can upgrade. I was going to be building one on my own (for those that remember a previous post) but well, I’m not to confident in my skills lol. So I was looking at the Alienware Area-51 7500 since it has the new Core 2 Duo Conroe chip in it and remembered that there are other companies out there(other than Dell, Sony, etc) but couldn’t remember any of the names. So I figured this would be a good place to ask.

2. avgjoe

avgjoe

3. Tecumseh

Tecumseh Libertarian

Voodoo PCs are nice. Falcon was another company I believe. TechTV had a Alienware vs. Falcon vs. Voodoo vs. Dell competition.

4. what_stanger?

what_stanger?

its very very easy to build your own.
    I would re-consider.

try to match the hardware good enough though, the physical part of building, is cake.
    matching hardware is a little harder, some things just don't work well together.

If you browse newegg or reviews forums, you'll see tons of people who had loads of problems with stuff that other people say worked just fine, take it with a grain man. I've TONS of posts and comments about how bad the Asus board i'm using is, and I've NEVER had a problem, other than a cheap power supply failing.

make sure you don't skimp on the power supply!

5. what_stanger?

what_stanger?

if you still decide to buy complete computer, stop off at a bookstore and pickup a PC magazine, seems like they always have ads for PCs and tests being done on numerous different 'models' if you will.

6. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

If it’s really that easy then I might just give it a shot and see if I can piece something together that’s comparable to the Alienware 7500

7. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

Ok, so this is what I have so far, anyone want to review it and see if I have anything in here that clashes?

Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 1066MHz
    Operating System:Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    Case:COOLER MASTER Wave Master TAC-T01-E1C Silver All Aluminum Alloy ATX Mid Tower
    Power Supply:Thermaltake toughpower W0104RU ATX12V/ EPS12V 650W Power Supply
    Motherboard: ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 675
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM:ASUS 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DRW-1608P3S
    Graphics Processor: ASUS EN7900GT/2DHT/256M Geforce 7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Also, if I’ve missed anything just let me know. I tried to get it as close as possible to the minimum configuration of the Alienware Area-51 7500.

Alienware: $1,669 + $105.00S&H= $1,774.00
    Newegg: $1,426.91 + $38.38S&H= $1465.29
    Looks like I'd be saving $308.71, not to shabby.

8. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

That's pretty good, but lose the Tt power supply. Their cases are excellent, but they do not make PSUs.

They are just rebranding cheap Super Flower units with the Thermaltake logo and doubling the price. Get an Antec, PC Power & Cooling, or something of like quality. With these brands a 550w unit would be plenty but, hey, the more juice the merrier!

You don't ever want to skimp on the PSU, especially on a power-user machine like this one. If you haven't already, be sure you get an APC UPS to protect it. Look to the 400w and above-rated models to make sure you have enough power available.

I have used WD HDDs for years, but lately there have been some concerns about their QC. You might want to check the prices on a similar Seagate. They have a 5-year warranty IIRC. I prefer LiteOn optical dri9ves, too, but Asus isn't a bad brand by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't forget to add WinXP Home Upgrade (if you have an old Win98/WinME/Win2K disk lying around) or OEM (bought along with the other parts) version...that adds $50 to $100 to the total.

Other than that, your new system will blow my current gaming rig away! Everything should work happily with everything else, too.

And yes, if you hit any snags, us GT Techs will indeed come to your rescue. Cheapest tech support on the planet, right here!

Kindest regards,

Eric

PS. Good choice on doing the build yourself. It isn't tough.
    Trust me when I say that you DON'T want to try using AW's 'support'. Google will reveal all if there is any doubt in your mind...

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Myself, I'd opt for THIS PSU:

Its rated output is +3.3@24A,+5V@24A,+12V1@18A, +12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@3.0A

In other words, it's a beast.

10. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

Ok so here's another question. If I'm unable to order them all at once($$$), should I order them in any particular order? I figured ordering the case & mother board first would be the best idea but wasnt to sure.

11. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Personally, in this situation I always recommend ordering the PSU, case and all drives first, and the CPU, RAM and video card last.

That's because the CPU/RAM/Vid market is much less stable. This means that holding off a few weeks can net you some juicy savings if the prices drop or the items go on sale in the interim.

The only time I'd suggest buying the proc, RAM or MOBO first is if they are deeply discounted. Oh, and don't be fooled by those so-called "Mail-In Rebates"!!

If you violate any of about 20 different BS parameters they set, they'll keep every cent of that cash.

Get your mail at a PO Box?

Did the USPS deliver your rebate form a little late, or did the Company claim that was what happened?

Was any of your handwriting not 100% clear?

In any of these cases, you'll never see that money. These policies are meant to enrich the Company at the expense of you.

In my opinion, if there's an Instant Rebate, go for it...

But never let yourself get suckered into a mail-in rebate.

12. what_stanger?

what_stanger?

i would also get case and psu first, but also get the mobo....just to commit myself.

when i built my first computer asus p4c800 dexule and so forth, i bought it part by part, until it was outdated. lol.
    be careful as to not do that.

who am I kidding, its already dated right?

13. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

This is actually the exact thing i did. This morning at work i ordered these

Case:Antec Performance I P180
    MB: MB ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe NF4SLI
    PSU: PSU ANTEC|TP3-550 RT
    I went with a different case after some more looking around. Although i dont think it looks as good as the Coolermaster, it seems like it would just be better overall.

14. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

Ok, so I’ve run into a slight little problem, after getting everything connected to the PSU, I had a little blue/black wire remaining. I checked the manual to both the PSU and MB, but neither one references this blue wire. I looked at the MB more and see that the only types of connections there are that match it are fan connections. So I looked at the MB book again and see that one of the connections its “PWR FAN” so does that mean I plug it into that?
    [​IMG]