close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Compact motorcycle?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Apr 1, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm not talking about the little pocket-bikes or the kid-sized dirt bikes...

What are the 500cc+ bikes out there that are small and light? I don't care if it is a sport, enduro/motocross, or cruiser....I'm guessing enduro/moto-cross will win here though.

Thanks

-Emt1581

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Ridley. Pricey, but they downsized the HD Heritage & Fatboy with a Koehler v-twin...and they have a CVT transmission. HH

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Weight and space are important here...I haven't looked it up but is anything that is a "downsized Harley" going to be lighter and take up less space than a motocross?

Thanks

-Emt1581

4. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper

if i wanted to ride a street legal moto under 500cc, id get a DRZ400sm.

one of the most fun bikes ive ridden, pretty small, fairly light, flickable, hooliganistic, overall just fun scoot.

500cc+, theres many i guess. what do you consider light?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. happy seal

happy seal

2010 Beta launches is Dual-sport, Supermoto and Off-road Enduro ...

Beta 520RS supermoto riding to work on Missionary Ridge GoPro ...

► 4:54► 4:54

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=StgM20y2B7w"]Beta 520RS supermoto riding to work on Missionary Ridge GoPro - YouTube[/ame]

Here you go. A lot of the European companies make a street legal dirt bike with street tires. Called a Super Moto. They are very agile and quick. They are great on gas and are a good comuter bike w/in reason. Insurance is cheap because they are not real fast like a sport bike. They are comfortable and very fun to ride.
    Also you can purchase a set of dirt wheel/tire assemblies that can be swapped in 10-15 minutes

[​IMG]

Here is my 520cc street legal bike. I like the dirt tires because that's where I am 90% of the time on it!

6. Halojumper

Halojumper

The Kawasaki Ninja 500 or ES500 is a good one in that range.

7. happy seal

happy seal

Yes, and weigh a ton compared to a 240 lb Super moto or dualsport!

8. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

If 500cc+ and light weight are your most important criteria, the KTM 500EXC is the king. It's a street legal dirt bike that is actually lighter than some of their competition models. It's also fuel injected.

It's basically a race bike with lights, so it's not likely comfortable on the road. It certainly meets your criteria though.

9. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

That is one of the major complaints I have about motocross-type bikes...those narrow/rectangular seats are brutal!!

-Emt1581

10. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Couldnt agree more! One of the funnest bikes I've rode. I rode a stock one and then one that had a pipe and a jet kit.

Take a guess which one I had more fun on? Lol.

Real nimble, feels light, jus like riding a dirt bike around. I'll get one someday, but for what it is I kinda find them overpriced, I can't ever find a used one around here.

11. Halojumper

Halojumper

Well, aside from the fact that they're a miniature version of an already underpowered bike, they've stopped making them and if you can find a used one, expect to pay around 16k.

12. RayB

RayB Retired Member

13. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Why limit yourself to something that is so small?

If you want a cool bike that is going to be kind to your noob mistakes and give you a neutral riding position then consider a Ninja 650R. They look like a liter bike but weigh ~400lbs and are nimble, quick, and get 51mpg.

:wavey:

14. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I was just curious if there was something that was compact enough to store in a tight space and at the same time maneuver/lift if need be. Still wanted something with decent power... I'd say 500cc would do...a compromise compared to larger heavier bikes...but it would still suffice for on the road/highway/fields/etc...

Thanks

-Emt1581

15. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

Triumph Street Triple or Street Triple R - very comfortable, plenty of power, compact, 416 pounds wet weight.

Be sure you compare apples to apples. Don't be fooled by dry weight specs... you can't ride a bike with no fluids in it.

The Daytona weighs a touch less at 407 wet, but is not going to be comfortable.

You can get a bike with less weight full of fluids, but not by much. Yes, a DRZ is 100 pounds lighter, but it has a tiny little fuel tank. Oh, and a DRZ is 10 inches longer than a Street Triple.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  16. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

I had a DRZ and I just sold it last tuesday. But it was a fun, fun FUN bike to ride, the perfect urban bomber. Gobs of torque, very maneuverable. Encourages you to do illegal things on it.

Only downside, for me anyways, was the very tall seat height. I'm 5'8" and I had to tiptoe it to get both feet down on the ground. But that's a minor *****. I only sold it because I decided I didn't want to pay to insure two bikes, and the R6 was definitely not going anywhere:)

I had a Ninja 500 a few years ago and that's another good choice, but it's sort of an ugly bike IMO.

17. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Then I would definitely look at the Kawasaki KLR650 (it's a single piston engine). It's a true on road/off road bike. Very comfortable to ride on any surface and you can easily go 80mph on the highway or take it off road and hit the hills, mountains, trails, etc. And it has a windshield to keep the bugs out of your teeth.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=559

:wavey:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  18. I_Hate_George_Lucas

I_Hate_George_Lucas

+1

I own a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (also known as the EX500). It's a Sport/Touring Class bike; very comfortable for long distance riding due to the sitting position being more of a standard and Givi makes a kit for it for hauling some stuff. I have mine coming in later today.

[​IMG]

You can get some very good mileage out of them if you don't gas it and keep it in the higher RPMs. If you like doing 80+mph then you'll get about 30mpg-35mpg. If you feather it and do between 55mph-65mph on six gear then you'll get 40mpg-45mpg. It's a light bike for street use and can easily be put in the back of a truck. Top speed is about 120mph.

They discontinued the line back in 2009 but the bike has been out since 1987 to 2009 so spares are easy a sin to find. I bought mine used back in 2011 for $4k out the door from a dealership in South Florida.... it only had 3000 miles on the ODO and had a up to date 2011 NY State Registration/Inspection Sticker on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_500R

19. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Yeah, a DRZ400SM is the pooh. I had one and it was super fun. Dirt bikes with street tires=way more fun than street/road bikes for jamming around town or carving up the twisties

MF

20. BlackPaladin

BlackPaladin

I run a Suzuki DRZ250 which is street legal and have geared it in such a way that;

-70 mpg
    -Will comfortably make highway passing speeds
    -Still plenty of torque for off road driving

The bike is easy to maintain, very durable, simple enough to troubleshoot on my own and not a lot there to break.