Compact Flash Cards

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Miss Maggie, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Miss Maggie

Miss Maggie

Hi guys,

I'm new to cameras and don't know much about them or equipment except that I enjoy it.

I only have cards for my camera other people have given me, so I've never bought any on my own and don't know what to look for. I've found some compact flash cards, San Disk brand, size 128 megabites, and I think they're right for my camera. I can buy them for $7 each. Is that a good deal? Or are they too small to be of much use? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks so much,
    Miss Maggie

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

What camera do you have?

$7 for 128MB is not a good deal (is it CF or SD?). That size is awfully small, and I am surprised anyone still sells them. You can get 2GB cards these days for just over $10. That's 15 times bigger for less than twice the price.

3. Miss Maggie

Miss Maggie

Thanks. Someone else told me that was pretty small, too.

It's a Cannon camera. I think it's an EOS Rebel. I don't know what CF or SD means.

4. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

CF (Compact Flash) and SD (Secure Digital) are two common memory card types. There are several others. Check the manual to make sure you are buying the right one. Caveat: some older cameras may not work with large modern memory cards, even if they are the right type.

$7 for a 128MB card is not a good deal, unless you are buying it for an old camera that would not accept anything larger.