Comp-Tac Spartan

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ricklee4570, Jan 28, 2010.

1. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

I just got this holster for my Glock 26. To those of you that have a Comp-Tac Spartan or similar, is it normal for the gun to have a really tight fit? Even with the tension adjustment screws backed way off, it is really tight, and makes the leather bulge in the back. I thought the back was supposed to remain relatively flat for comfort, but it is so tight that the back of the leather is bulging from the gun.

Is this normal for a new holster like this?

2. Lomez

Lomez Nice guy

the leather will stretch, give it time :) good choice by the way.

3. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I have a M-tac---It does bulge a bit but the second backing(that Spartan does not have)is cut away so it's less noticeable
    Mine isn't really tight though with full mag I can shake it upside down and gun(G23) stays put
    Let the gun sit in hosler a while and build it's cozy little nest:whistling:

4. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

I was a bit concerned, as Comp-Tacs website states that the pistol will be a little loose, and not to turn the holster upside down as the pistol will fall out. They are designed so that the pressure of your belt when worn inside the pants will aid in the retention. Well, the one I have, after holstering the gun, I can shake it upside down as hard as I can and its not coming out, and thats with the retention screws almost completely backed out. Doesnt sound normal. Very, very, tight. And the back of the holster really bulges quite a bit when the gun is holstered.

5. Jet Mech

Jet Mech

Just curious; Did you get the slide version or one specifically for the G26? I first got a Comptac Ctac specifically for my G19 so I figured I would be able to use it for my new G26 but the G26 was a very tight fit. I called them and they said the G26 was "slightly" different than the G19. I know the specs are supposed to be the same but I'm just saying mine fit that way. I now have the slide version of the Spartan and the G26 is slightly tighter in it than the G19. Give it some time and store the gun in the holster. I think you'll be happy with it.

6. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

I have the one specifically made for the G-26, 27, 33

7. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Leather stretches.

My M-Tac bulges a bit in the back. This is a good thing, as it aids in retention. My body isn't as flat as a piece of plywood, so the wings of the holster curve a bit anyway. Wear it for a week or so, and the holster will start to mold to both your gun and your body, and comfort will increase.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Some night, when you're all alone, and everyone is in bed, turn on your favorite movie, and just insert and remove the pistol from the holster for a while. It will loosen up great.

(Shame on you perverts)..

IGF

9. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

Fixed.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'd hope that would go w/o saying, but thanks for pointing that out. I forget sometimes we've got some newbs down here.

IGF

11. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

As tight as this thing is, it would wear me out doing that! Not to mention that my shiny black gun would probably have no finish left!

I will give that a go and see what happens. I was not sure if this was normal with the mtacs.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Your guns finish is gonna wear anyway... not really a whole lot you can do about that.... It's a tool, not a luxury item...

Homer(to Marge)... Aww, a gun is not a weapon Marge, its a tool, like a butcher knife, or a harpoon or a..uh.. alligator. You just need more education on the subject. Tell you what, you come with me to an NRA meeting, and if you still don't think guns are great, we can argue some more...

You know, sometimes there's some wisdom in what Homer says, whether he realizes it or not.. :)

IGF

13. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

Last night I drew the weapon about 200 times, enough that there is a lot of finish off the slide and the polymer frame has shiny wear marks on it. I then put the gun in two plastic bags and inserted it in the holster overnight.

This morning my 16 year old son had trouble removing it from the holster. Way too tight.

I watched a couple if videos on you-tube where reviews were done. One showed the guy removing the brand new holster from the package he just got in the mail. He immediatley inserted his weapon in the holster and it was a perfect fit.

How this passed through quality control is beyond me. No way the maker inserted a gun in this holster for a QC check. I went ahead and put the holster on, and with my belt tightened normally, I could NOT remove the gun, that is ridiculous.

I contacted Comp-Tac yesterday evening and since I bought the gun from an online dealer they won't take it back or replace it. They referred me back to the dealer.

The rivets that hold the Kydex to the leather have started to rip the leather, so the dealer probaby won't take it back now either since it has been "damaged" from my attempt to make it fit.

Crossbreed Supertuck or Kholster will get my business from now on.

Oh, by the way, one of the benefits of this style holster is supposed to be that it allows for easy re-holstering of the gun. Well, unless I carry a hammer and beat the gun into the holster, not gonna happen.

Now I have a new Glock 26 with 26 years of holster wear on it!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Stop being silly, I highly doubt there's 26yrs of holster wear on the gun. Why did you wrap the gun in plastic.. You (sometimes) do that w/ holsters that are completely leather. Plastic doesn't flex like leather. Contact the dealer, and see what they say. This is one reason I never use dealers on holsters. You never know, they might have sent you the wrong holster, it almost sounds like its a 36 holster..

15. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

The wear you mention is probably oil from the leather stickin to your gun
    I've had NO such wear issues with my Mtac-I have a course set up at my house that I practice draw and shoot every day-I've drawn and holstered my gun HUNDREDS of times with no discernible wear yet

Pic of your holster?

16. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

The 26 years of wear was a joke.

I went to the hardware store and bought 4 small rubber washers. I placed them between the leather and the Kydex. This spaced it out just enough to where the gun fits now, still very snug, but much better. I think with a couple of weeks use, the leather will stretch a bit more and smooth out. Should make it much easier to draw and re-holster.

Also, I used the bag to stretch the leather a bit more. Of course I know Kydex doesn't stretch.

I think this will solve the problem.

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

The holster can only stretch one way, thus why the leather started to tear, because the Kydex wasn't going to give. Hopefully your rubber washer idea works.

IGF