close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Community Emergency Response Teams - C.E.R.T.

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by MRex21, Jan 16, 2010.

1. MRex21

MRex21 Can I help you?

Folks,

I've been doing some research on these C.E.R.T.'s. Do any of you have any real world experience interacting with these folks? I am considering volunteering for one and taking the training as far as I can.

2. Delirious

Delirious loyal slave

I know NOTHING, NOTHING. Can you tell us more about them?

3. Tvov

Tvov

There was a bit of a push for CERT a few years ago, I guess they would have green colored helmets? Seems like it has died down a lot. My department never did anything with it - I think one person in my town approached my Chief about it. Since no one else ever said or did anything, it died off.

4. Tvov

Tvov

5. trifecta

trifecta

I read the old thread and it about covers it. Tons of money got spent on it and you wonder why it wasn't spent on existing public safety. 4 years after the first thread, has anybody seen a CERT activated to the community's advantage? How many still exist in real form from that time? In principal, it isn't a terrible idea but in practice there are legit concerns.

OP, if you really want to take the training as far as you can, you are looking for a police or fire job. At least as a reserve/volunteer. CPR and a green helmet does not a rescuer make. I know there is a little more to CERT, but if you have a serious motivation, I don't think it will satisfy what you are looking for. The city where I live has/had(not sure it's still around) and they never got called out for "the big one". Where I work does not have one.

6. MRex21

MRex21 Can I help you?

Interesting. I've already done the cop thing. Now I'm looking for something to devote my time to. I was considering C.E.R.T. in my area. They've been utilized via the local Metro Fire. I was also considering the local Search and Rescue affiliated with the department I used to work at. I'm looking for something to devote time to and take seriously. I'm not interested in a bunch of folks who are into it just to get a patch. I want to do something.

7. Wulfgang

Wulfgang

My town has a very active CERT (102 members) that is sponsored by the Fire Department.

We have monthly meetings. The next one is tomorrow to practice triage and to help a local Boy Scout troop work on some merit badges.

We have participated in the following events:
    - door-to-door life & safety survey after a tornado hit the town last spring
    - several searches for lost elderly persons
    - crowd/traffic control at town parades/firework celebrations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_Emergency_Response_Team

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  8. nyvp

nyvp

I'm in one it's all nice. As a former Volunteer fireman from NY here in Hollywood FL. it sure isn't the same fun, but it's still helps out.

www.Hollywood-cert.org

9. DGreno

DGreno FF/Paramedic Silver Member

Chatham (Savannah) County in GA has been pushing it pretty hard the past few months. THey call it CERT with the C standing for Chatham instead of community.