close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Common barrels amongst GT.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by theSteve, Aug 2, 2012.

1. theSteve

theSteve

I've noticed that most of the posts I read that are barrel related, it seems to me that the most common barrel used is by Lone wolf. Never any about storm lake and few about Kkm. From my research and what I've heard from random sources have implied that lone wolf wasn't all that great. Maybe I'm missing something that is hidden between the lines. Any info to appease my curiosity would be appreciated.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor info

2. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

The reason may have to do with purchase price.
    This thread may help you decide on whether LWD is what you are looking for or not,kind of long 15 pages.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1414663

good luck in your decision. SJ 40

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I bought a Lone Wolf barrel for my G17. I paid a little extra to have it "blackened". It shoots just fine, but the blacking process is substandard.

I bought another for my G34, left it Stainless. It looks and shoots great.

I've had no problems with either of mine.

4. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

I bought a 40-9 LWD barrel for my G33, and liked 9X19 in the subcompact so much that I bought a G26. I still have that barrel available for testing lead ammo. As an added note, the only modifications I did for shooting with that configuration was to use dedicated 9X19 magazines. No changes to extractor or ejector.

I use KKM in my G20SF, and will probably never use the stock barrel again. Since I reload, it is important for me to have tighter chamber support so that the brass doesn't get too deformed.

Recently, I've added a G35 Gen4, and am interested in adding a .357SIG barrel for it, but am waiting until I can speak with them regarding the RSA half-moon cutout for the Gen4 assembly. If the cut has a smaller radius (for the older-style RSA) then I am concerned about correct functionality with the Gen4 RSA.

5. CaneyCat

CaneyCat

I'm planning on getting a ported barrel for my G35 soon, so I will make sure to post what I think about it.

6. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Probably the most common barrel among GT'ers is the OEM barrel.

Unless using a conversion, or shooting lead, I can't see not using the OEM barrel.

In an experiment, we compared a KKM with an OEM barrel in accuracy. A friend is the owner of a G34 - KKM with several thousand rounds through it, and I have a G34-OEM with several thousand rounds through it. We shot each others gun. We were both more accurate with my G34-OEM. Then we swapped barrels in the guns. We were both more accurate with his gun and my OEM barrel. This was shooting an IDPA target at 28 yards.

I did a similar test with a G23 comparing the OEM barrel and a LWD 9mm/.40 conversion. The OEM barrel was more reliable* and more accurate.

*with new ammunition the LWD was 100% for 100 rounds, with commercially reloaded ammunition the OEM barrel was 100% but the LWD barrel really couldn't be tested because of feeding issues.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  7. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

Went to the range this week for the first time with a Lone Wolf 40-9 extended length conversion barrel for my G23. Worked great and no problems with about 150 rounds through it.

8. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I have a couple of conversion barrels from LW and one is ported. No issue with either one. Good product and price.

9. Tombo 65

Tombo 65

I've purchased LWD, Storm Lake, and KKM barrels, and KKM is definitely the highest quality aftermarket barrel in my book. Whether their barrels are worth the extra money is another question. The LWD and Storm Lake Barrels worked just as well, and gave just as good accuracy as the KKM.

I don't think any after market barrel beats the Glock OEM barrel. I get consistently higher velocity, easier cleaning, and higher accuracy levels than I can take advantage of out of stock barrels. I shoot a lot of hardcast lead (not soft lead, don't get all freaked out and have a stroke) thru my OEM barrels. Some are 19-21 brinell hardness, some are gas-checked. All of these bullets perform superbly, and the barrels are cleaner than when I shoot jacketed ammo. I wish I could say the same of the aftermarket barrels I've bought so I could shoot lead "safely".

The aftermarket barrels I've tried are harder to reload for, are less lead-friendly in my book, and offered no real improvement over the stock barrels even with factory ammo. I will now only purchase aftermarket barrels if the barrel length or configuration I want is not offered by Glock. Glock OEM barrels rock, in my book.

10. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Tombo
    I concur with cast lead from the factory barrel.
    If all of my other button rifled barrels cleaned up as easily or well as Glock factory barrels,people wouldn't complain so about shooting lead.
    IMO and we all know what those are like,their is no reason not to shoot hard cast lead from a Glock factory barrel.
    SJ 40

11. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

I have 3, and they're dead nuts. :thumbsup:

12. barth

barth six barrels

I have four Storm Lake barrels for my gen 3 G27
    1) G27 3.46" 40-9mm Conversion
    2) G23 4.02" 40-9mm Conversion
    3) G23 4.02" 40
    4) G27 4.16" 357 dual ported black Isonite QPQ finish

They all were drop in and have been 100% reliable with
    thousands of HP rounds down range.
    I find, in my hands, the Storm Lake barrels group noticeably better than my OEM Glock G27/40 or G33/357 barrels.
    Also GDHPs nose dive bad, like every other mag, with the OEM G33 barrel.
    The Storm Lake eats the same ammo, out of the same box, like candy.

I would guess that OEM barrels are far and away the most common.
    Then third party 40-9mm conversion barrels.
    With Lone Wolf leading the pack (LOL) due to the lowest price.

Lone Wolf, KKM and Storm Lake seem to be the most common 3rd party barrels I read about on GT.
    With Bar-Sto, Jarvis and others in the mix too.

I think for the average shooter sticking with OEM is the best way to go.
    With the exception of 40-9mm conversion barrels.
    That's where third party barrels really shine - IMHO.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  13. KenInColorado

KenInColorado

I know I'm in the minority, but I have a Wilson Combat barrel for my G22. I went with Wilson based on their reputation with the 1911 crowd. The accuracy of that barrel is awesome. And, 200 rounds thru it and no stoppages. I may have paid a bit more for it, but for my money it's worth it.

14. avenues165

avenues165

I think what aftermarket barrel you choose will be determined by what you need. I have a G24 that I wanted an aftermarket barrel for to shoot 357 sig. I chose LWD. I knew I would not reload, I knew I am not the best shot with a pistol, I knew my pistol would really be just for the range.

To my surprise, my LWD 357 sig barrel is extremely reliable (in ~1,500 rounds not one issue of any kind), and more accurate than I am.

I have heard good things about Storm Lake, KKM, Barsto, Jarvis, and I am sure they make great products. However, based on my experience with my 357 sig barrel I will buy a 40-9mm barrel from LWD.

15. avenues165

avenues165

I must add that for the G23 I put on layaway I will buy a Glock G32 OEM 357 sig barrel. I agree with the gentleman that stated he will only buy an aftermarket barrel if Glock doesn't make the same configuration.

16. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I don't know if this is a consideration - and you never plan on shooting with an obstructed barrel - every OEM barrel I've seen merely bulged when fired after a squib. Every aftermarket barrel I've seen actually split when fired after a squib. I've seen several of each - just an anecdotal comment.

17. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

In my opinion: First tier aftermarket pistol barrel manufacturers: Schuemann, Briley, Jarvis, and Bar-Sto Precision. Second tier: Storm Lake, and KKM. Third tier: Lone Wolf Distributors. None of these manufacturers make, 'bad barrels'. Lone Wolf barrels are often problematic because the chambers are tightly throated and cut to very tight, 'match grade' standards.

Doesn't make LWD barrels undesirable - Only occasional nuisances because Lone Wolf stands behind them 100%, and will, 'open up' any barrel you complain about. Which is better customer service than I got from Bar-Sto Precision on the last barrel I bought from them. After a long wait it finally arrived poorly finished and with a cheap concave muzzle.

No way was this barrel worth the high price I paid, or the almost 4 month wait; and when I complained to Irv Stone about what he'd sent, for the first time in more than 20 years of owning Bar-Sto barrels, Irv completely ignored my well justified remarks. I guess he was just too busy to be bothered. On the plus side, though: after refinishing and fitting it into my Glock, this is an incredibly accurate barrel - In fact, and for a Glock, amazingly so - Well inside 2 inches at 25 yards!) :shocked:

18. rimshaker

rimshaker

Speaking of barrels, i just got two factory threaded ones for my 19 and 21sf.

I thought barrels were generally all the same until i started learning about twist rates and rifling.... factory OEM all the way for me.

19. barth

barth six barrels

Storm Lake G27-357 [​IMG]

20. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

What distance are we talking about, here, Barth?