GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lean & Mean
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
I really don't know a lot about the different variants of the Mauser design. I know what the large ring and small ring means. That's about it. I've heard about the intermediate action length once or twice. Here is the question:
- is a Mauser rifle chambered in 30-06 (commercial model from the 60's or 70's) difficult to re-stock?
- is there some kind of standard set between all those, different makers or is it all over the place when it comes to the action sizes, spacing between the action screws or interchangeability of the parts?
I would really appreciate any feedback. Looking at a commercial 30-06 or 308 made by Parker Hale or Husqvarna back in the days...and this is the only, unanswered part about possible purchase. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,586 Posts
my dad did an FN Mauser, don't remember off hand who's stock he used, but he said it was easy to fit. he did his in 30-06. nice rifle but it was light and a bit tough on the shoulder...

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If you look around, there are sporter rifle stocks available for really every major and minor variant Mauser action. The chambering isn't so much an issue as barrel profile and yes, action screw spacing and bottom metal inletting. But something as common as say an FN commercial 98 action and #1 sporter barrel will have a million options. Boyd's has a stock configure tool just for such an occasion as this.

·
AAAMAD
30,432 Posts
Either action is a commercial 98, and most 98 stocks will fit.

Ask for screw length to be sure, but neither would be hard to find a stock for.

·
Lean & Mean
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Much appreciated. Thank You.

·
AAAMAD
30,432 Posts
99% of my bolt bolt guns are Mauser actions, or Mauser inspired designs (CZ 550, 1903 ).

if you need help finding something reach out, I might be able to help.

·
Private side
11,393 Posts
Mauser is still making guns. I’m trying to get a new one in 7x57

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Nestor,

good choice on the Husquarna. I had a Husquarna 98 with a true commercial action, without the thumbhole for the stripper clips. The actions had been manufactured by FN but the Swedes put the gun together really well and the gun was an exceptional shooter in 8x57IS.

Since barrel profiles on commercial rifles vary greatly, the barrel channels will often need to be cut individually.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Mauser is still making guns. I’m trying to get a new one in 7x57
Mauser Waffensysteme GmbH merged with Rheinmetall in 2004 and is a part of Rheinmetall Waffen Munition GmbH. It is hard to tell who makes what and were it is made, despite of branding.

·
Lean & Mean
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
99% of my bolt bolt guns are Mauser actions, or Mauser inspired designs (CZ 550, 1903 ).

if you need help finding something reach out, I might be able to help.
Thanks. I'm looking at couple of options right now. If anything won't be clear I sure may ask you for some guidance. Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts