Combo Wrenches. Pittsburgh vs Huskey vs Kobalt.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Batesmotel, May 18, 2018.

1. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Moderate to heavy use in a shop environment. How do Pittsburgh hold up?

Need to buy sets for my son.

2. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Night look at Stanley tools too

flyover and sombunya like this.

3. pgg00

pgg00

I've broken alot of craftsman over the years. I have never broken a Pittsburgh. Make sure they get cleaned right away after use though. Let a relative use some sockets and he didn't clean them and they got some rust spots when i got them back. Harbor freight replaced without question.

dudel likes this.
  4. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A two in thepink and a stump in the rump

not well. kobalt has a life time warenty and are pretty good. i use them in harsh chemical conditions and they get beat to **** on a regular basis. husky are a step below kobalt in my experence. lowes is great about replacments, been ther to exchange my adjustable 3 or 4 times and never had any problems, they just say grab another one. never had an experence with hd on tool return

pipedreams likes this.
  5. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

Is he going to be using them to make his living, or is it just for a school program type thing?

I went through a 2 year heavy diesel program, there wasn't a huge amount of call for using smaller combo wrenches, but I have yet to do anything to damage these ones (pictured below) after 5 years of ownership. I also have yet to round over any stuck bolt heads either. Snapped a few rusted bolts, but no rounded corners.

[​IMG]

If they are tools he will use every day to make his living, then starting with Pittsburgh, while economical to begin with, may end up costing more time and money going to replace them as they break or wear out than you save in the long run. They might be more durable than I give them credit for, as I've only bought a few over the years, so I can't say I've really worn them out, but most of the ones I buy end up being modified for specific jobs that don't require a lot of force applied.

Out of the 3 you listed I'd probably go with the Kobalt as first choice there.

If I could justify the cost, I'd probably buy full sets of either Proto or Williams wrenches, but I don't do a whole lot of high-torque wrenching. I tend to use my 6 point sockets for the majority of my work and the wrenches are only brought out when the sockets can't reach.

6. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Assembling electrical components on massive overhead cranes. Summer job while he is in college but they offered it to him every summer until he finishes his masters degree if he will take it. He reads blueprints and schematics like he has been doing it all his life. He needs everything by Monday.

pipedreams, Ross-in-Pa and cougar_ml like this.
  7. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

If he is just doing the work in the shop environment, then I think the Kobalt or Husky will do just fine for now. Craftsman used to have an excellent reputation, but not as much anymore.

If he ends up doing it up high on the crane, then upgrading to premium quality tools will be in order, but it's not likely he'll start out up there, and he should be able to afford better tools later on.

My theory with tools is simple, I buy a tool from the box box store. If I somehow manage to break it, I replace it with the highest quality that I can reasonably afford.

One thing to be said about them though, If I hired someone to do a professional job and he showed up with a bunch of tools from Harbor Freight, or other cheap import tools of unknown quality, I'd question their level of expertise and dedication. The tools might work just fine and some of them are reasonable quality, but the appearance of being cheap and cutting costs by using what appear to be inferior tools can translate to thinking that person does inferior work, whether the work is high quality or not.

Ross-in-Pa likes this.
  8. BOOSTED12A

i will say that the older pitsburg impact sockets are good. i have a set i got second hand and they have held up good, better than the husky set i bought new

9. 1bigK

1bigK

While the recent vintage of Craftsman tools that are being made in China are definitely garbage, if you happen to run across any of the CM's that were made in America, they are worth the money. Not to long ago I bought a 186 piece set of Craftsmans from the local Ace Hardware that were made in America. (These are to go into the tool box in my truck as vs. the roll around box full in my shop that I have had for 25+ years now.) (F&%# John Kerry and his firm, Bain Capitol, as they bought out the last American manufacturer of Craftsman wrenches and sockets, and then they liquidated them. Greedy communist ba$#@rds.)

Kobalts are better quality than Huskys, IMHO.

I also recommend that you get all 6 pt. sockets and wrenches if you can. They are much less likely to slip and round the nut, or get you injured in the process.

10. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

I’m a Kobalt man. I would say that at least 60% of my handtools are Kobalt brand.

Now, I don’t make my money with them, but I do put them to pretty good use around the house and vehicles. Never an issue with any.

11. Sniff

Sniff

Whatever you get, don't drop it down a missile silo.

Flags, pipedreams, cbetts1 and 4 others like this.
  12. lazarus66

lazarus66

I've had good luck with Kobalt. Pittsburg are less likely to be stolen by your co-workers, if that is an issue where he works.

13. Mr.Black

Mr.Black

Unless working on real heavy equipment with cheater pipes and such, I recommend Gear Wrench.

I've been wrenching for over 30 years and they're the one tool in all that time that I would say is revolutionary.

14. dudel

dudel

I've given up on craftsman. Lowes (Kobalt) and HD (Husky) are very good tools with very good return policies. Can't go wrong with either.

However, the best value (IMHO), are the Harbor Freight (Pittsburg) tools. I bought a set of wrenches 30 years ago (what I could afford after the divorce), and they've held up very well. It's nice to have a great return policy; it's EVEN nicer if you don't have to use it! I've only had to return one HF tool (I abused a single impact socket - they replaced the entire set - no questions asked). Six point sockets will hold up much better than the finer point sockets, and you can apply more torque with them.

Another benefit to the HF tools, is that they don't tend to walk off so easily.

janice6, railfancwb and treg like this.
  15. BOOSTED12A

agree on the gear wrenches!

lazarus66 and Mr.Black like this.
  16. rj1939

rj1939

Started out with Snap On, Mac, Craftsman when I was bending wrenches early on...................the last years have been Pittsburgh/whatever cheap brand, due to the fact of bad environment and high loss rate.............you drop something, it can literally disappear.
    Funny thing, when I was on the road grader, I used to plow up tools on the roads................#1 tool that I plowed up: Channelocks (got about two dozen pair)
    I'll have to say, Pittsburgh isn't too bad.

janice6 likes this.
  17. jmohme

jmohme

I retired from heavy equipment mainenance in 2012 and quit buying off the tool trucks.
    Since then, ive been really impressed with kobalt tools.

Joshhtn likes this.
  18. D-Ric902

D-Ric902

Tools, as with many things.
    You get what you pay for.

sombunya and Batesmotel like this.
  19. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

What sucks is this job came up right after I bought a new computer and tons of pricy software. My budget is pretty limited for a few weeks. I'm helping him out because until he gets a couple of checks he has NO budget and needs everything my Monday. He is supposed to send me a couple pics of what he is building today.

20. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I've had decent luck with the tools from Auto Zone (Duralast). But only as a home mechanic, not heavy day-in, day-out use.

The actual ratcheting wrenches? They aren't bad but the heads are a little bigger than a standard combination wrench, so accessibility can be a problem.