close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Combat folding knife for unarmed areas and firearm back up.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by alfred10, Feb 12, 2010.

1. alfred10

alfred10

I currently carry a CRKT m21 special forces 4 inch folder weak side. I am looking for a knife around 4 inches that WONT cut my car seats. The CRKT prongs which make it a good knife will cut your seats.

http://www.crkt.com/M21-Special-Forces-Double-Flipper-AutoLAWKS-Combo-Edge

An assisted opening knife would be nice. I like the Kershaw series but they dont have anything to keep your hand from sliping onto the blade. Would also like it to be well balanced. I want to carry this strong side rear pocket as a back up to my weak side front pocket for unarmed zones.

I carry the 6 inch Cold steel folding kukuri in the woods when hiking. But this would not be well accepted in regular public areas.

2. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

YMMV, but I find rear pocket carry very hard on the upholstory and the reason I lost an Emerson Commander.

ML

3. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Get it out of your back pocket. Front left or right, and even IWB work pretty well for me.

Better yet: Wear carpenter pants. The right hand pliers pocket is just above the knee, at 3:00, and it's almost like a drop leg holster.

4. dontshakepandas

dontshakepandas

I carry a Zero Tolerance 0350 and would highly recommend it. The blade is a bit smaller than what you asked, but its big enough to get the job done. It is made by Kershaw, and is very solid. Also has assisted opening and a flipper, which also keeps your hand from sliding onto the blade when open. I carry mine tip up in my left pocket and it never catches on anything, but you can change the clip to all four positions to carry it however you want.
    http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=ZT0350

5. alfred10

alfred10

6. dontshakepandas

dontshakepandas

7. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

[​IMG]

That is a sweet looking knife.:wow:

8. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

Thanks for the heads up on Kershaw: I honestly had never looked at their products before. They have some very interesting designs, and i like the Made In The USA aspect!

9. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Blackhawk Industries: Pointman

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  10. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Straw Dog

"COMBAT FOLDING KNIFE" is a bit of an oxymoron. A folding knife will NEVER be durable enough to handle the same sort of stress a full tang "Combat Knife" is meant to, such as stabbing through a Kevlar vest without breaking your locking mechanism, or being useful as a survival tool. A folding knife is meant to be easy to carry comfortably as a last ditch weapon. My suggestion: A SMALL knife. My current carry is a Benchmade Mini Presidio Ultra. It's extremely lightweight, comfortable, holds a good edge, is durable, and I barely notice I have it on me. Since a knife is mostly a weapon of opportunity (don't be fooled into thinking that you'll have time to draw your own blade if somebody is already attacking you with one, gain distance and draw your firearm) you shouldn't be concerned with carrying the biggest, baddest blade. It's just more weight you have to lug around every day, and a pain in the rear end as you pointed out since your seats are getting torn up. Also, your knife should be clipped on a front pocket for easy access, and speaking from my own experience with a Columbia River M16, it's a real pain getting into your pocket with those stupid hand guard things. That's what good jimping is for.

11. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    [​IMG]

12. BobbyT

BobbyT

Spyderco P'kal. I've carried it every day for the past two years now.

A little unconventional, but you won't find something that deploys faster short of a fixed blade (and that includes assisted open, autos, and waves).

13. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

The spyderco civilian was purpose built to address those needs. it's not particularly useful for general utility work.

14. Puppy

Puppy

15. scottlang

scottlang Millennium Member

I carry a kershaw assisted open folder with my G30

16. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

17. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

I pack a Spyderco Endura Wave. Check out that wave feature. It's the fastest I've found. Great blade.

The Kershaw Blur is good for the money. I gave that thing a beating and it's still working just fine.