close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colts to rest Starters for First Game of Playoffs...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndyGunFreak, Jan 12, 2010.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You gotta love The Onion.. Even as an enraged Colt fan, I found this pretty funny.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/colts_to_rest_starters_for?utm_source=onion_rss_daily

Colts To Rest Starters For First Game Of Playoffs

INDIANAPOLIS—At his weekly press conference Monday, Colts head coach Jim Caldwell announced that he will rest key starters during the divisional round of the AFC playoffs to keep his players fresh for a Super Bowl run. "You can't win the Super Bowl if you don't get there with all your players healthy," said Caldwell, who added that next Saturday quarterback Peyton Manning would probably get the first two series, which will mostly be comprised of running plays. "Dwight [Freeney] and Dallas [Clark] will get about a quarter in the AFC Championship game. But honestly, even if we make it to the Super Bowl, I can't see playing these guys the whole game. The 2010 season is closer than you think." Throughout the entire press conference Manning could be seen in full uniform, stalking and pacing in the back of the room.

2. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

3. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

Even funnier when Ray Lewis removes Peyton from the game. Ravens by 3!

4. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Man I bet Ray could get away with murder.

5. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

Twice??

6. 540mope

540mope

funny!!!

that stupid stunt of removing the starters and blowing any chances of an unbeaten season really irks me....and I'm a ****** fan

7. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

People here in Indy are not pleased at all.

8. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Yes, but the unbeaten thing has been done already. And recently too.

9. silentpoet

silentpoet

Like Leonard Little?

10. jeep olllllo

jeep olllllo

Unbeaten and win all playoff games and the superbowl?

11. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

really, when? Last time I checked it was 1972 that a team ended the season with zero losses.... doesnt happen all that often, and has NEVER happen in the 16 game era!!! Get your facts straight before you comment!

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I was pretty upset when it happened, but at this point, I'm over it. We've got a tough, tough game coming up Saturday, and the fans need to be there.. and I believe they will be. If we don't win the Super Bowl, I'm going to come away that resting our starters under almost any circumstances is not a good idea.

IGF

13. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Not to rehash old news... but I TOTALLY support them having rested the starters a few weeks ago.

Undefeated regular season? So what !!?? Short memories?

Didn't the Patriots have an undefeated season just a few years ago? And then lost the Super Bowl?

The Big One is the one that counts, that's WHY you play the regular season. Win your division so you can get all the home games, and look to the S.B. Undefeated regular season has been done twice before, achieving that is not the goal.

Having rested players is WAY more important. Those guys take SUCH a beating during the year, that it's not the "rest" as much as it is letting their bodies recover.

14. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

I disagree 100%-- you say short memories, but I would argue that not many people can tell you who won the superbowl 4,5,6 years back... I would argue there are probably not too many people who know who won the superbowl 3 years ago... however, I bet you way more people know which team is the ONLY team to end the season undeated, and can probably tell you the year...

So your short memory comment, in my opinion, contradicts reality!!!

There is a superbowl winner every year, but rarely does a team make history and end the season with zero losses. If a team has a shot to make history, and be remembered forever, I think they should go for that... Nobody will care 4 or 5 years from now if the Colts win the SB this year, just like nobody cares that they won it a few years ago... but I guarantee that most people would remember the Colts for decades if they were to go undefeated and win the SB...

15. silentpoet

silentpoet

The problem is that rested players lose their edge. I can't recall one time when resting as a whole has benefited the team that did it. I would be concerned if I were a NO or Indy fan. I think at best one of those two teams will win. Could be wrong, but it is my experience.

16. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

If rest IS the most important thing, as you say. Why did the Colts march out Manning and a number of other players in the final game, so they could get a certain amount of catches or keep a games started streak alive? I am very curious to your reasoning as to why they did that? Also, is it possible that those players can be hurt on any given play? So sending them out there in that last game would defeat the purpose of "resting" them because of health (they didnt want them hurt) reasons... not because they really need the rest...

So, can you PLEASE explain the reasoning behind those players playing in that last game?

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

In my opinion, resting starters was wrong, when it meant losing games.

Now the Colts are a bunch of losers. Hard to suddenly change that.

18. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

I agree 100%... would you want to enter the playoffs on a winning streak and sharp, or would you want to enter the playoffs losing 2 games and having not played the "regulars" for 3 to 4 weeks...

I really hope they lose just to prove they are morons!!!!!

19. major

major Rejected member

You make some very valid points and personally, I would have liked to seen them go undefeated.

HOWEVER, I think all owners would tell you that they hire a coach with one goal in mind. Win the Super Bowl............bring home a championship.

How the coach goes about that can, of course, be controversial (as in this case). However, if that is truly the goal, then the coach must do everything he can to try to reach that goal....even if it means resting starters at some point. The bottom line is that the goal is not to win every game, but to win the right games and enough games to win a championship.

20. silentpoet

silentpoet

the bottom line is that resting starters does not help the team win. It leads to them losing their edge and losing games.