Colts Fans - Dwight Freeney Speculation

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Ragnar, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Ragnar

Ragnar

So I'm listening to the Superbowl hype this morning and its all about Freeney's ankle and how he might not even play, etc.

Knowing that teams will play games with injury reports and trying to get into the other team's head . . .

Does anyone else think that all of the ankle hype is a con?

2. robbcayman

robbcayman

No. I watched the play where he rolled his ankle and it looked serious. I'm betting he plays, but he won't be anywhere near 100%.

If he doesn't play at all it will really hurt the colts pass rush.

3. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

Torn ligaments are a heck of a lot different than a sprained ankle...

He WANTS to play. And if he can go, even at 80%, he'll play.

Dwight Freeny at 80% puts him on a level more on par with the rest of the league anyhow.

-J-

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Yeah, no doubt about it.. If you watch the play where the injury happened, he's clearly hurt. Will he play? I hope so. The problem is, especially w/ an injury like that, will be swelling and his ability to cut or push himself off the line. Dwight's game relies so much on his speed, he's gonna have to be at least 80-90% to be effective, and I just don't see that happening. The Colts have had injuries all year, someone will step up.

IGF

5. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

I say he'll play, maybe not every down or series, but he'll play. If I'm looking to add a 2nd ring, even if it means hurting myself more, I'm playing. I'll have a long off-season for rehab.

Speaking of injuries, is Bob Sanders playing/starting on Sunday?

6. dahahn

dahahn

He better play. Even though I live in MN, I hail from that great state of Indiana, and I'm a Hoosier through and through. First football game I ever went to was the Colts vs Seattle, sometime in 1996 or 1997. Other than the IHSAA basketball tournament, it was the biggest sporting event I've been to.

Is there any question, regardless, if the Colts will win? The Saints are going to crumble. They had to go into OT to beat the Vikings (which was huger than huge here). They'll crumble to the Colts, and I'll have my chili in hand to watch the beating.

Speaking of Indiana athletics, anyone see the Hoosiers lose to Illinois? Massive heartbreak. I feel for Jeremiah Rivers...he looked so dejected at the end of that game, but it was a hell of a game. IU has really turned their basketball program around.

7. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

"Ain't got much use for Hoosiers either?" LOL

That could be an interesting factor. I still think the Saints will sadly fold. :(

8. 4evercoltsfan

4evercoltsfan

There was some talk after the ONE game that he played this year that he was on IR and "IF" they were to make the Superbowl he would be ready. His name has not poped up on the IR list so I am wondering if they are keeping that a secret behind the Freeny hype. Freeny will play no matter what, he just won't be able to move like he normally does. That just means they'll have to double Mathis which in my opinion is just as dangerous as D.W.

9. nmk

nmk

Hype, cons? That's not the Indianapolis Colts. That's the Patriots.

10. Glock Man_G19

Glock Man_G19

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Bob Sanders was IR'd, early in the season, so I really doubt he's playing.

12. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

Man, I'd have them fit me with a peg-leg and a hook for a hand if that's what it'd take; I'm playing in the Super Bowl!

Sanders is awesome but it's so disappointing to have someone so talented and yet so injury prone. He doesn't seem to know restraint. Maybe they'll just pay him to play in the off season; but going to the Super Bowl without him shows that they can play some D without superstars at every position.

13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Actually, they ALL do it, but Belichek is the best at it. ;)

14. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

2 of the best quarterbacks in the league going at it , should be high scoring , i would not count out saints . in a one game scenario anything can happen . just look at vikings last week 6 turnovers cost them the game .

i would not count out drew brees . i hope the saints win , cause i like drew
    it could go either way .

i hope manning gets beat up like favre did .

15. norton

norton

"Next man up".

16. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

I heard a report the other day that the Colts have worked out a veteran free-agent or two for the secondary. McKenzie was one of the names? I think he once played for the Packers...and even played for the Saints earlier this season.

Indy secondary is busted and banged up... And they're still out two starters from very early in the season (Sanders and Jackson). Melvin Bullet and Jeraud Powers aren't exactly the healthiest of men right now themselves.

THANKFULLY, at least this year, there are two weeks between the Conference championship and the Super Bowl.

It has NOW come to fruition that resting the starters for most of the last two games of the season was a GOOD idea. Not necessarily to keep them fresh, but to A) keep them from injury, and B) to allow them to get healthy.

Freeny's status... Who knows. I think he'll play. Knowing his history in coming back from injury, he'll probably start and play a lot of the game. He's known to be a "fast healer". Plus it's the super bowl.

And even if he doesn't play a down, the Colts are 6-1 without him. Granted, I don't know who their opponents were in those 7 games...

I think the Colts secondary will have trouble with the Saints receiving corps...But they didn't do nearly as well against the Vikings as I'd presumed, either. I don't think they'll be able to run on the Colts. They did, after all, hold the #1 rushing attack to less than 100 yards during the last game. Gimmick / trick plays are what will torch the Colts. Flea-flickers and reverses. Gets 'em every time.

I think that the Saints secondary will be torched by the Colts. Honestly, I see a lot of pass interference-type calls against the Saints. Most of them will be legit, too! TWO pro-bowl receivers in Wayne and Clark, and two other VERY competent players in Garcon and Collie. Plus you have #18 throwing it to them. Addai, Brown, and Hart are all good receivers out of the backfield, too. Colts will get their yardage on the ground, too, just like they did against the Jets' vaunted Defense.

And I see a lot of roughing the passer penalties against the Saints. With the way they've been talking about hitting Manning, and the way that they really roughed Favre up, the officials will REALLY be watching.

As long as they're legitimate calls... Then bring it on!

But...the game isn't played on paper. Anything can happen.

Yes, I think the Saints CAN win. But I don't think they will. Not against THIS Colts team.

-J-