close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colt xse

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by themighty9mm, Mar 12, 2010.

1. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

So I should be having one of these coming my way shortly. The problem is I havnt handled or shot one before. I have shot 1911's just not one of these. I am pretty stoked about it, the last time I had a 1911 I kicked myself hard within an hour of selling it. So what has ben your experience with this model? When did the xse series come out? How the accuracy? I have done a search on google and GT Not much came up. The only reveiw I saw was on here and it was just the one review.

2. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

If it is a new XSE it is a very nicely finished gun, full of good parts. The older XSE had a bit of slide to frame play ( a good thing for reliability!!) but still had first rate parts.

Accuracy out of a Ransom rest will be somewhere in the 2 to 3.5 inch at 25 yards with good loads.

3. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

How do you tell when it was made?

4. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Call Colt. A good Colt man will give you a good estimate by the serial number.

5. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

Thanks for your help, last question for you as it doesnt appear many people know of these models judging by what I have seen in my google search and search on GT. I dont know if I wil like the duckbill palm safety, what does it take to get an upswept style one? Is fitting by a smith required or just a parts swap?

6. CAcop

CAcop

Wilson has a drop in grip safety that requires no alteration of the frame. I have one on my 1991A1 that I changed a few parts out on. OF course the frame may already be cut for a grip safety, just ask Colt which one.

7. remat

remat

The XSE's are a nice pistol. Colt is famous for building a serious, low frills pistol that works. An XSE Commander Lightweight is on my short list.

8. Sig Fever

Sig Fever

If it is anything like my Combat Elite you will not be disappointed. The fit, finish, and accuracy are excellent. IMHO

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  9. bac1023

bac1023

Not a bad gun, though mine is anything but tight.

I've got the Commander version.

[​IMG]

10. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

I dont need it to be super tight. I've had bad experience with kimber and being overly tight. 500-70 break in period my butt! 800 rounds later and it still couldnt run more than 1 mag through it w/o jamin. Sold it. It doesnt have to be super accurate, I dont expect quarter inch groups. Just has to be acceptable. From the bit I have read, I get the best quality parts out of the box for the money

11. Silvercrow1

Silvercrow1

I purchased a full size XSE two years ago. It was alright but I have to say I had two major complaints: The fit was very good- but the sharp edges were not to my liking. All edges on mine were too sharp. A long time (older) Colt buddy of mine mumbled something about "using it to slice cheese" as well as for self defense purposes. I agreed- mine absolutely needed a full melt operation- unacceptable to me as I paid just over $800.00 for the gun. Secondly- mine had what APPEARED to be Novak or Novak cut sights on it. They weren't- they were a foreign knock-off. Again- blew my mind why an American manufacturer of an $800.+ handgun would resort to using orient manufactured sights. (I know- cost savings, but still..)

That said- the gun shot well. I sold it and have recently acquired an excellent+ cond. Kimber full size Eclipse, for around the same money.

Best wishes with yours.

Brian

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  12. Makoman

Makoman

Democratik People's Republik of Kommiefornia
    Colt XSE sights are made by by KFS industries, an American Company. And besides, I don't remember Colt ever mentioning in thier literature or on their sight that their guns come with Novaks.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  13. Makoman

Makoman

Bac, which XSE Commander do you have? the steel frame or lightweight? Judging from the looks of the frame I'd say it's the light.

14. Makoman

Makoman

I've got an XSE and like it very much. I actually like the "duckbill" grip safety too. It's not as be as aggressive and might be a little understated compared to some others but I think it works just fine. It does for me anyways.

15. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Mark me down as another person that prefers the duck tail safety over the beavertail style. I really like my XSE, the only part I am not too thrilled with is the front serrations on the slide. I could have lived without those.

[​IMG]

16. Makoman

Makoman

I hear you about the front slide serrations. I'm in the market for a commander and I'm actually planning on one of the 01991 models for that very reason.

17. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

I like my basic, all steel commander better than my XSE. It does not have all the bells and whistles of the XSE but I like the simplicity of it better. :)

[​IMG]

18. bac1023

bac1023

Its all steel.

19. silversport

silversport

I don't mind the Duckbill (aside from a razor sharp upper edge :D) and my XSE came with Novak sights...says Novak right on them...they have changed the sights over the years...mine's a 2005 built XSE Government...
    Bill

20. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

Let us know how you like it. I've always wanted to own a Colt Commander and I'm really interested in the XSE. :popcorn: