Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > Colt will stop making the AR-15

Colt will stop making the AR-15

1. That’s pretty crazy. They say it’s good sense to follow ‘consumer demand’. Are anti’s their consumers?!

2. The bottom fell out of the AR market in 2016. Colt's not exactly price competitive. The politics of being a big name/company making ARs right now are "not good". Sounds like they've decided to take a vacation from trying to sell ARs on the civilian market.

3. Colt jumped the shark when they put all their eggs in the military basket and declared bankruptcy in 15 because they ignored the consumer market for years.

4. Colts entire history had been one case after another of financial mismanagement.

5. Here's another good article on it.

All business??? They should heed well the lessons at Ruger and other companies learn when they gave into the gun grabbers even if this is a business decision and not driven by giving into the gun grabbers.

https://apnews.com/fbdf5e5f6d654332bbedfaffe3663154

6. Too late for a lot of all you folks who didn't grap one while you could.

Remember "It's a Colt, or a Copy"!!! Ha-Ha-Ha!!

Like anything else that's no longer available, I think they will be going for a premium for a while as folks start panicing.

But there are a lot of other choices that are functional, they just don't have the Prancing Pony on them, so deal with the shame and buy the much lesser quality and much uglier gun.

7. or....

if it's Mattel, it's swell

8. My son, and other active duty Marines don’t seem to have much good to say about Colt anyway. He’s into AR- platform rifles and he seems to think that there are better options for less money. I don’t own one so I cannot say.

9. The article in the first link said they were going to stop producing them, not stop selling them. And the reason was there were too many in inventory.

The AR market is really competitive with lots of good choices. Colt must have a much smaller market share than they did 15 years ago. If a Democrat wins the 2020 presidential election a renewed AWB is a strong possibility. Colt probably doesn't want to take a chance on having a bunch of rifles they cannot sell sitting in inventory.

When I was shopping for an AR a few years ago I bought a Colt 6920 and am quite happy with it. I replaced the trigger but otherwise the rifle is stock. It is more accurate than I expected and like most ARs has been completely reliable.

Would I have been a little bit happier with something like a much more expensive Daniel Defense? Probably. Would I have been nearly as happy with something like a much less expensive like a S&W M&P-15. Probably. I do not regret buying the Colt but there are a lot of other choices out there right now and prices are really low.

10. It will be interesting to see how fast these dry up or how much demand increases

Though I'm sure be available as surplus from police departments going forward

it's also especially odd when one considers the recent Vietnam retro guns that they came out with him an extremely high price or clearly geared towards the collector

11. FN has the current contract and makes fantastic guns.

SEALs using Noveske

still I agree from a collectability standpoint there's a Colt and there's the rest

it's particularly sad when one considers that they've been selling them since 1963/64

I think it's an incredibly foolish move by the company

12. As an owner of several ARs, all I can say is, few people will even notice.

Without getting into politics, the market (in recent memory) was flooded with ARs. I remember (in the glory days of AR sales during the period of Great Darkness) attending the Wanamacher gun show in Tulsa (the largest show in America: 4,000 tables), and hordes of people standing in line to buy ARs. It was surreal.

On Gunbroker, ARs were selling for five times their retail price. (Why, oh why didn't I divest myself of all my evil black stuff at that time?)

Manufacturers loved it. Smith and Wesson in 2006, cash and cash equivalents totaled ~$700,000. That's not good for a corporation their size. During the height of the panic: C&CE 2007: >$4 million. 2009? C&CE: ~$40 million. In their 10K report 2011, they affirmed their good fortunes were due to the panic.

Then everything changed. We got a decent man in the White House and after everything calmed down, prices plummeted. And millions of gun owners realized they'd overpaid. The demand bottomed out and gun stores that had opened to meet the demand were stuck with inventory they couldn't move. Locally, a lot of those stores closed. Some have gone to appointment only.

I still see pages and pages of guys (armslist) trying to sell their ARs and have been doing so for months. Some of them, for years. They're not going to take less than they paid and nobody's paying those prices today.

Colt is simply responding to the market. If the political scene changes and they realize they can capitalize on panic buying, they'll be back. It's just smart business.

13. Spot on. I wished I grabbed one a year or so ago when they were blowing them out at some retailers.

14. For those that can't afford the Colt rollmark, the Anderson has been nicknamed the "Poverty Pony" This is the closest thing I have to a Colt AR.

F1ANSL300__65224.1540323672.jpg

15. Every major manufacturer of AR-15 rifles builds them to pretty much the same specifications, Colt just charges twice as much. The market has allowed this for way too long and Colt is no longer relevant because they build a mediocre firearm and charge a premium price. I only own one Colt product (an old Python) now and if I get a good offer, it's gone tomorrow.
    As for the AR-15, I have a Rock River and recently put a PSA together so I have all I will ever need.
    I hope I didn't sound too much like a Fudd here.

16. LOL. I'll bet the guy that wrote that story for ABC News was grinning like an idiot while he banged on his keyboard with one hand and beat his hoo-haw like it owed him money with the other. It's Fake News. Colt's will be back to selling ARs to the public in no time.

17. The civilian market doesn't work so well on the kick-back business model. No loss, there's plenty of good ARs to choose from.

18. Look at the AR market. Colt makes overpriced AR's with nothing but a name stamped on them to justify the price and even in the "overpriced brand-name AR" market, their competition is doing better. A monkey can build an AR and a smart monkey can build one as good or better than Colt, but Colt is trying to compete while paying Yankee union wages to union workers . . . for work they should have hired the monkey to do. If the work requires skilled labor, the worker doesn't need a union and if it doesn't, the union is just making the product too expensive for the market.

I don't know how it took them this long to decide to quit making them and I wonder how long they will last in the 1911 market (or the gun market, in general).

Colt announcing they won't make AR's is a blow to the gun market on par with Winchester deciding to stop making bolt action rifles. In other words, so what?

19. Nobody wanted to buy Colt ARs yet they at the same time they expect Colt to keep making guns that it can’t sell.

20. Yeah, I got ahead of myself there. Nothing new.

21. I agree with some of the others. The AR market is flooded. You can build a really nice gun cheap. You can build a good beater gun for really cheap.

22. There is more fail in this thread than the other. I'm sorry I clicked in.

[​IMG]

23. :cow:

24. Another issue is that guns last a very long time. What used to be an ABC market for that type of rifle has become A-Z. They are made by big companies and small, and even home hobby level gunsmiths. I have many friends and family members who own AR platform rifles and not a single one is a Colt. I suspect losing the military contracts helped make the decision, their limited penetration in the civilian market came back to haunt them.

25. What I don't get about this is that they will still be making them for the law enforcement market so why not to sell to civilians?

If they were going to discontinue it all together I could completely understand. however if they are already making them for the law enforcement Market what do they care if some of them go to the civilian market to the extent that demand dictates?

26. From the story:

This headline makes no sense. This is exactly why I don't bother with the mainscream media.

27. For a strictly business decision the timing of this strikes me as extremely suspect.

It was not long ago that they came out with what I consider to be the very cool Vietnam retro issues. While obviously overpriced they're pretty need rifles gear totally to the civilian collector market. Now it just so happens that in the setting of Walmart and all the other BS companies that are going antigun that they're just going to stop selling civilians strictly is a business decision. Right

28. So will the Colt ARs become more valuable like Winchester 94s did?

29. My issue rifle was made by General Motors Hydramatic Division.

30. never mind, can't say that anyway

31. I’m willing to let my collectible LE6920 go for $3000. It even has magpul FDE furniture.

32. For many years one of my primary collecting interest has actually been Colt ARs. It will be interesting to see how this affects in value over time.

Of course living in Virginia I might not be able to own any of my collection after January

33. I still haven't fired the new pencil barrel Colt I picked up a while ago.

I had been thinking about breaking it in when I head out to break in a new big game rifle.... but might wait to see what the resale market looks like. :cool:

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

34. who cares? there are 400 other gun companies building AR'S.

35. Wasn’t it just a few years ago that Colt ARs were the ‘Gold Standard’ of AR rifles?

For my next AR purchase, which brands are as good with a better price?

36. Source? Last I heard it was H&K.

What 'choo takin' about Willis

37. They used to use HK416s. That's what they had in the UBL raid.

I had a patient just a few months ago whose husband was a current Seal Team Six Operator. We got to talking about guns and he told me that. We had an extensive discussion about guns, unfortunately slightly to the annoyance of his wife. He said in their latest trials the Noveske out performed all others including HK so they adopted it.

38. COLT RESPONSE

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (September 19th, 2019) – There have been numerous articles recently published about Colt’s participation in the commercial rifle market. Some of these articles have incorrectly stated or implied that Colt is not committed to the consumer market. We want to assure you that Colt is committed to the Second Amendment, highly values its customers and continues to manufacture the world’s finest quality firearms for the consumer market.

The fact of the matter is that over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity. Given this level of manufacturing capacity, we believe there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, our warfighters and law enforcement personnel continue to demand Colt rifles and we are fortunate enough to have been awarded significant military and law enforcement contracts. Currently, these high-volume contracts are absorbing all of Colt’s manufacturing capacity for rifles. Colt’s commitment to the consumer markets, however, is unwavering. We continue to expand our network of dealers across the country and to supply them with expanding lines of the finest quality 1911s and revolvers.

At the end of the day, we believe it is good sense to follow consumer demand and to adjust as market dynamics change. Colt has been a stout supporter of the Second Amendment for over 180 years, remains so, and will continue to provide its customers with the finest quality firearms in the world.

Very respectfully,

Dennis Veilleux
    President and Chief Executive Officer

https://www.colt.com/news/2630

39. it will be interesting to see if there is another legislative scare as there was after Sandy Hook and the market demand explodes whether they will start selling commercially again.

40. Hey, I have that same model. Grabagun special.

41. There's a huge gun show in my area this coming weekend.

Usually there are tons of Colt ARs.

It will be interesting to see if there's any rush on them or not.

42. I never even looked at Colt when I bought my AR's, though I wish I had. Still, for my purposes, mine are just fine.

43. that did not happen, some units can acquire them , but they are not a general issue item.

44. I'm just relaying what I was told by a current operator.

45. not a good source of information , teams can acquire items for use that are not general issue, like glock 19 /17 which many carry.

46. What he told me was that Team 6 adopted the Noveske. That said I did not go into any more specifics than that as I thought that was his clear point.

However that is my only point of information for this. Certainly it sounds like that you know more. I was just relaying what he told me.

He also did mention that in his unit the Glock 19 replaced the Sig. I had heard that before but not about the Noveske.