Colt will stop making the AR-15

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by talon, Sep 19, 2019.

1. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

That’s pretty crazy. They say it’s good sense to follow ‘consumer demand’. Are anti’s their consumers?!

2. njl

njl Crusty Member

The bottom fell out of the AR market in 2016. Colt's not exactly price competitive. The politics of being a big name/company making ARs right now are "not good". Sounds like they've decided to take a vacation from trying to sell ARs on the civilian market.

Rabid Rabbit and michael_b like this.
  3. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

4. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

Colt jumped the shark when they put all their eggs in the military basket and declared bankruptcy in 15 because they ignored the consumer market for years.

5. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

Colts entire history had been one case after another of financial mismanagement.

6. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Here's another good article on it.

All business??? They should heed well the lessons at Ruger and other companies learn when they gave into the gun grabbers even if this is a business decision and not driven by giving into the gun grabbers.

https://apnews.com/fbdf5e5f6d654332bbedfaffe3663154

7. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Too late for a lot of all you folks who didn't grap one while you could.

Remember "It's a Colt, or a Copy"!!! Ha-Ha-Ha!!

Like anything else that's no longer available, I think they will be going for a premium for a while as folks start panicing.

But there are a lot of other choices that are functional, they just don't have the Prancing Pony on them, so deal with the shame and buy the much lesser quality and much uglier gun.

8. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

or....

if it's Mattel, it's swell

alnicoG22, fnfalman and Ramjet38 like this.
  9. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

10. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

My son, and other active duty Marines don’t seem to have much good to say about Colt anyway. He’s into AR- platform rifles and he seems to think that there are better options for less money. I don’t own one so I cannot say.

pizza_pablo likes this.
  11. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

The article in the first link said they were going to stop producing them, not stop selling them. And the reason was there were too many in inventory.

The AR market is really competitive with lots of good choices. Colt must have a much smaller market share than they did 15 years ago. If a Democrat wins the 2020 presidential election a renewed AWB is a strong possibility. Colt probably doesn't want to take a chance on having a bunch of rifles they cannot sell sitting in inventory.

When I was shopping for an AR a few years ago I bought a Colt 6920 and am quite happy with it. I replaced the trigger but otherwise the rifle is stock. It is more accurate than I expected and like most ARs has been completely reliable.

Would I have been a little bit happier with something like a much more expensive Daniel Defense? Probably. Would I have been nearly as happy with something like a much less expensive like a S&W M&P-15. Probably. I do not regret buying the Colt but there are a lot of other choices out there right now and prices are really low.

12. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

13. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

It will be interesting to see how fast these dry up or how much demand increases

Though I'm sure be available as surplus from police departments going forward

it's also especially odd when one considers the recent Vietnam retro guns that they came out with him an extremely high price or clearly geared towards the collector

14. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

FN has the current contract and makes fantastic guns.

SEALs using Noveske

still I agree from a collectability standpoint there's a Colt and there's the rest

it's particularly sad when one considers that they've been selling them since 1963/64

I think it's an incredibly foolish move by the company

15. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

As an owner of several ARs, all I can say is, few people will even notice.

Without getting into politics, the market (in recent memory) was flooded with ARs. I remember (in the glory days of AR sales during the period of Great Darkness) attending the Wanamacher gun show in Tulsa (the largest show in America: 4,000 tables), and hordes of people standing in line to buy ARs. It was surreal.

On Gunbroker, ARs were selling for five times their retail price. (Why, oh why didn't I divest myself of all my evil black stuff at that time?)

Manufacturers loved it. Smith and Wesson in 2006, cash and cash equivalents totaled ~$700,000. That's not good for a corporation their size. During the height of the panic: C&CE 2007: >$4 million. 2009? C&CE: ~$40 million. In their 10K report 2011, they affirmed their good fortunes were due to the panic.

Then everything changed. We got a decent man in the White House and after everything calmed down, prices plummeted. And millions of gun owners realized they'd overpaid. The demand bottomed out and gun stores that had opened to meet the demand were stuck with inventory they couldn't move. Locally, a lot of those stores closed. Some have gone to appointment only.

I still see pages and pages of guys (armslist) trying to sell their ARs and have been doing so for months. Some of them, for years. They're not going to take less than they paid and nobody's paying those prices today.

Colt is simply responding to the market. If the political scene changes and they realize they can capitalize on panic buying, they'll be back. It's just smart business.

ray9898, Angel and glockhoarder like this.
  16. B C

B C

Spot on. I wished I grabbed one a year or so ago when they were blowing them out at some retailers.

cbetts1 and FullClip like this.
  17. B C

B C

For those that can't afford the Colt rollmark, the Anderson has been nicknamed the "Poverty Pony" This is the closest thing I have to a Colt AR.

F1ANSL300__65224.1540323672.jpg

18. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

Every major manufacturer of AR-15 rifles builds them to pretty much the same specifications, Colt just charges twice as much. The market has allowed this for way too long and Colt is no longer relevant because they build a mediocre firearm and charge a premium price. I only own one Colt product (an old Python) now and if I get a good offer, it's gone tomorrow.
    As for the AR-15, I have a Rock River and recently put a PSA together so I have all I will ever need.
    I hope I didn't sound too much like a Fudd here.

larry_minn and nikerret like this.
  19. J. Gambolputty

J. Gambolputty

LOL. I'll bet the guy that wrote that story for ABC News was grinning like an idiot while he banged on his keyboard with one hand and beat his hoo-haw like it owed him money with the other. It's Fake News. Colt's will be back to selling ARs to the public in no time.

slamdunc likes this.
  20. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

The civilian market doesn't work so well on the kick-back business model. No loss, there's plenty of good ARs to choose from.

FullClip likes this.