Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I sit on the couch feeling like I just got run over by a bus, I have had time to think about AR15's.

The end of the world is coming, I need to bug out w/the family.

Which AR's do I take?

I know which pistols I would grab, I would also grab a .22, and a 308, but everyone gets an AR, so which ones are good enough to go with?

Note:
This thread is tongue in cheek....well....maybe half serious :wow:

·
No Longer Fenced In
11,133 Posts
The four you mentioned are all top-notch.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
There used to be a comparison spreadsheet floating around on the Net. Somehow, it disappeared. They have some good comparisons on Youtube.

I'm gonna put my money on Colt, since Bud's has LE discounts on Colt. I'm in the process of brooming those two M&P 15s. I'll make some pocket change, but not much. Looks like I'll be going with a 6720 to start, and a 6940 later for distance. The 6940 is looking good, but it's .8 lb heavier than the 6720. Both come with BUIS. 6940 has a free-float barrel, plus other nice features.

·
No Longer Fenced In
11,133 Posts
Me personally, a 11.5" to 14.5" BCM lightweight.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If money is not an issue, something like a Larue or Noveske would be optimal.

1moa or better accuracy and ridiculously overbuilt.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I do have one question: How well does a 55-grain round perform in a 1:7 twist barrel? It is my understanding that the 1:7 twist is geared more toward 70 grains or more.

·
No Longer Fenced In
11,133 Posts
I do have one question: How well does a 55-grain round perform in a 1:7 twist barrel? It is my understanding that the 1:7 twist is geared more toward 70 grains or more.
It seems to do okay, but I certainly wouldn't go any lighter than a 55 grain. I shot mostly 55 grain through my ARs that were 1/8, 1/9, and 1/7 twist without issue.

·
Mr. Awesome
12,807 Posts
I bought an LMT, no issues, really like it. Zero zombie rekills.

·
No Longer Fenced In
11,133 Posts
As long as the rifle is put together correctly from quality parts, brand does not matter.
As long as it's a quality brand, anyways. It's all in the quality control of the parts and the build.

·
No Longer Fenced In
11,133 Posts
I've thought the same. I plan on either getting a ddm4v3 or a colt 6920. I'm leaning more towards the ddm4. Any suggestions?
I personally like the DDM4v5, myself.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Current patrol rifle is a DDM4V3 LW. The upper will be replaced with a Troy upper as soon as I get around to getting it zeroed. I'll change everything over to the Troy lower next year. For patrol use they are both perfectly fine but if something is going to get locked up in evidence for a couple of years I'd rather it be the Troy. Plus I prefer the longer rail of the Troy.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The four in the thread title plus Larue, Noveske, and KAC are all basically equal from a reliability standpoint; which is to say, they're all excellent. Some are better than others at different things, but as far as feeding, firing, extracting, and ejecting, over and over again and every time, those are where it's at. If Centurion decides to start building guns I've no doubt they'll be on the list too. PSA builds some guns that equal the above for reliability, but they're not as consistent.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I suppose the factors I'm considering:

Reliability
Commonality of parts (Mil spec, non-proprietary)
Weight (If I'm giving the kids a rifle to haul out in a bug out situation, this is a big factor)
And let's be honest, it's gotta look tacticool :2gun:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts