close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colt SUED for Half a Million Dollars over Expanse Production Cutbacks

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by SJ 40, Jul 14, 2017.

1. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Colt SUED for Half a Million Dollars over Expanse Production Cutbacks

Colt’s Manufacturing is in hot water: A lawsuit filed in the District Connecticut court by finance company Prestige Capital is targeted at the gunmaker, with the aim of recouping half a million dollars plus legal fees and interest over what the plaintiff claims was a breach of contract during the production of the Expanse Carbine. The suit follows Colt’s scaling back of a contract for the Colt Expanse, a budget priced Colt-branded carbinewhose production was farmed out to Bold Ideas, also known as ColtCompetition. Colt’s contract with Bold Ideas allowed them to scale back production of the rifles – originally set at 6,000 to be delivered each quarter – but required 60 days’ notice. According to a letter cited in the suit, which was filed at the end of June, Colt scaled back production to 2,400 units per quarter “immediately” in March.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-million-dollars-expanse-production-cutbacks/

So much for the Colt AR's that were not Colts. SJ 40

SRT Shaft, Brass3 and pgg00 like this.
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Seems typical for Colt

MadeInAmerica likes this.

3. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

No joke. Been sucking on Big G's tatas for so long I don't think they should be allowed out in public without supervision.

slamdunc and MinervaDoe like this.
  4. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Damn shame they're in another jackpot. Whatever their finances and corporate structure, they make good products.
    Just hope that they don't end up whoring out the name the way Umarex has done with Walther.
    Moon

DKSmith45 likes this.
  5. dkf

dkf

Never felt sorry for Colt before, ain't going to start now.

6. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

That is exactly what they were doing with a company named,Bold Ideas. SJ 40

dkf, MadeInAmerica and halfmoonclip like this.
  7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

That is rather debatable these days. Colt's expanse series is an utter embarrassment. They put their name on junk they will regret that later

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It sounds like Colt's corporate lawyers suck ass for not having some sort of clause in the contract for scaling back production because of lack of demand.

Anyway, the Expanse is indeed an embarrassment. It's not cheap enough to complete with the Ruger and SW economical models.

Colt should have priced these things at the $450-500 range, then and maybe then somebody might buy it for the brand name while thinking that they're getting "milspec" parts.

9. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

I'm a self-confessed Colt fanboi; have a couple three of their rifles, and a 1911 by anyone else seems like a 'Ford Corvette'. That said, the corporate side of anything can be a real fluster cluck. Some brands are just golden ('Jeep' comes to mind, and they're hanging the name on Fiats); hate to see Colt go the same way.
    Moon

10. maxmanta

maxmanta

This is the first I've heard of these.

What's the difference between it and any other AR? No port cover or forward assist? Those parts are 20$ all together. How much can they possibly be saving?

Colt is riddled with management programs.

Sky King likes this.
  11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Many of the parts are not Colt.

Which isn't really a problem, but when you have a fake Colt that everybody knows about yet still priced a couple hundred bucks over Ruger and SW equivalence...you're not gonna seal it.

There's a right way and there's a wrong way to trade on the brand's name. This ain't one of them.

12. Valmet

Valmet M76Valmet

...and so it goes for Colt

13. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

They never should have offered that POS the "Expanse". No one buys them in my part of the world. Just produce the 6920 as is and the world will beat a path to your door.
    Typical Colt Idiocy.

mc1911, SRT Shaft, Arc_Light and 3 others like this.
  14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Except that the "real" Colt ARs aren't being sold very well either. Not right now when the market is flooded with ARs.

They don't make enough M1911s for sales. Rarely do you see a Colt pistol sitting on the shelf for long.

SRT Shaft likes this.
  15. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

Reason being is most people do not realize that the $500 POS AR they just bought is just that, a POS. Of course, these guys are range commandos and will never have to push their POS carbine hard to survive, either. A couple of boxes of ball at the range 2-3 times a year is all they will ever shoot, and that blow molded, pretzel plastic piece of junk AR will run fine for awhile.
    Heck, I know of a PD that bought Bushy's as Patrol Rifles and then wondered why they wouldn't run and kept breaking. Stupidity like that makes me want to just puke. You get just what you pay for in the AR world, period!
    If I had a dime for every POS AR I have had to try and resurrect, I would be very rich. Some are just not fixable/repairable within a budget.
    Buy a 1st Tier rifle 1st, always!

SRT Shaft and Dave Elliott like this.
  16. ACE31

ACE31

Colt has screwed the end user/consumer for decades with overpriced firearms. No sympathy from me.

17. MadeInAmerica

MadeInAmerica

The once mighty Colt is the new Taurus. Colt can suck it.

Sky King, SRT Shaft and ginelmore like this.
  18. dkf

dkf

Not surprising the price was where it was. Bold Ideas has to make money on the rifle for making it, then Colt tacks on whatever they want on top of it for basically doing nothing. Ruger and S&W actually makes their rifles, or at least most of the rifle anyways.

Though if you call Colt they will claim they make the Expanse rifles. A guy on another site didn't believe me that the Expanse was farmed out and called Colt. Colt told him that they make it in house. Which we know is not true.

Dave Elliott likes this.
  19. Z71bill

Z71bill

Bold ideas - a Jenna Jameson company.

I have never owned a Colt - rifle or pistol. I really don't think I'm missing much.

SRT Shaft and Ruger Nut like this.
  20. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Just out of curiosity, which "bushy's" are you talking about?

Are you talking Windham or Remington Bushmasters?