Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been considering one of these and would like to ask if anyone has/had one and pros/cons and any photos?

Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I had one briefly. 38 super. It was very accurate which i guess is what counts. But it had finishing issues (sloppy machining marks, chipped chrome) which were unacceptable to me at the price point. To be fair, some of that could have been post factory (handling by dealer etc), but not the machining. Also it had quite a loose frame slide fit and rattled more compared to most other higher end 1911s - again that is not necessarily an issue because that really was how they were originally designed and again it was accurate. No front strap checking also seems odd at this price point as well. Mine was an older gen (wood grips, not memory bump on the grip safety) from the mid 2000s. I have heard the new gens (G10 grips, diff grip safety) were higher quality but don't know.

I really want to like the gun but I would not consider one again unless i could closely inspect it first. At that price point, I would probably go for a Dan Wesson or Les Baer first.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had one briefly. 38 super. It was very accurate which i guess is what counts. But it had finishing issues (sloppy machining marks, chipped chrome) which were unacceptable to me at the price point. To be fair, some of that could have been post factory (handling by dealer etc), but not the machining. Also it had quite a loose frame slide fit and rattled more compared to most other higher end 1911s - again that is not necessarily an issue because that really was how they were originally designed and again it was accurate. No front strap checking also seems odd at this price point as well. Mine was an older gen (wood grips, not memory bump on the grip safety) from the mid 2000s. I have heard the new gens (G10 grips, diff grip safety) were higher quality but don't know.

I really want to like the gun but I would not consider one again unless i could closely inspect it first. At that price point, I would probably go for a Dan Wesson or Les Baer first.

Thanks for the information. I've been also considering a DW Valor in 10mm. I appreciate your opinion.

Reactions: kaisooba

·
Registered
24,236 Posts
I have the O1990CM model in 45acp, and it is perfect in every category.
I'm overly anal about fit, finish and the cosmetic blemishes found on many Colts today.

This pistol is absolutely perfection and as accurate as a laser beam.

BUT, with Colt 1911 pistols I STRONGLY recommend that you personally examine one before you buy it. Colt's quality is a hit and miss. Their quality control is all over the map.

I would never buy a Colt 1911 sight unseen.
I have 5 Colt 1911s and I took about 5 minutes examining each and every one before purchasing.

I highly recommend the Special Combat Government models, if you can find a good one.

The current series 70 National Match Gold Cups are a good alternative.
Mine shoots just as good as my Special Combat model, but cost a lot less.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the O1990CM model in 45acp, and it is perfect in every category.
I'm overly anal about fit, finish and the cosmetic blemishes found on many Colts today.

This pistol is absolutely perfection and as accurate as a laser beam.

BUT, with Colt 1911 pistols I STRONGLY recommend that you personally examine one before you buy it. Colt's quality is a hit and miss. Their quality control is all over the map.

I would never buy a Colt 1911 sight unseen.
I have 5 Colt 1911s and I took about 5 minutes examining each and every one before purchasing.

I highly recommend the Special Combat Government models, if you can find a good one.

The current series 70 National Match Gold Cups are a good alternative.
Mine shoots just as good as my Special Combat model, but cost a lot less.

Thanks for the info! Colt just released the next batch of O1970CM (Hard Chrome) and I had left a notify me when they were available again. So, last night I got the notification that they were available.

This will/would be my 4th Colt 1911.

Thank you for the intell on yours!!!!

Reactions: fnfalman

·
Registered
543 Posts
Two points I'll add. Supposedly (rumors) the SCG's are nearing the end of their long production and the Colt Custom Competition is taking it's place. Probably a good thing since there is nothing Combat about the Special Combat Government.

My SCG was also flawless, built in december 2016. However, I will say I don't think I'll get another one. I lusted after the SCG since they came out around 1994. Finally got one last year. I'm not disappointed, but at the same time I don't think they are worth 2000+$. If you want one and always have, get it. It's one of those things. Get it because you love it and will hang onto it, just realize it's not the best value in the high end 1911 market (say ~1500$ and up).

I can't figure out how to add photos. But here's my thread over at 1911 forum from last year. https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=765586&highlight=

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two points I'll add. Supposedly (rumors) the SCG's are nearing the end of their long production and the Colt Custom Competition is taking it's place. Probably a good thing since there is nothing Combat about the Special Combat Government.

My SCG was also flawless, built in december 2016. However, I will say I don't think I'll get another one. I lusted after the SCG since they came out around 1994. Finally got one last year. I'm not disappointed, but at the same time I don't think they are worth 2000+$. If you want one and always have, get it. It's one of those things. Get it because you love it and will hang onto it, just realize it's not the best value in the high end 1911 market (say ~1500$ and up).
Thank you for the info! It appears that everybody is pretty much on the same page with this. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts