Colt should resume production of the Detective Special

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Fox, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

The Detective Special was a fine weapon and it was insane for Colt to drop it from production when most states were passing shall issue CCW. It still has a role in law enforcement as an easy to carry BUG too.

They should also bring back the Agent and Cobra, lighter weight variants of the Dick Special. They also need to produce hammerless and shrouded hammer variants too. A 9mm version would be a popular BUG for LEA that issue 9mm self-loading duty guns.

2. DPris

DPris

Colt can't afford to bring it back & it'd be priced above sustainable market sales if they did.
    Same deal with the Python.
    Denis

Bill Keith likes this.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

The DS was a decent carry choice when choices were slim. It was past its prime when it was discontinued over 20 years ago.
    It wouldn't be popular as a carry choice today and Colt certainly couldn't bring it to market with the craftsmanship it needs or at a reasonable price.

4. Pier23

Pier23

<scratching head>

Dunno...Smith is producing wheel guns that fill niches and presumably is doing so profitably.

My wife carries a Pony snubbie and it suits her well, esp since she has problems with racking a slide of an auto.

Macc283 likes this.
  5. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

If I won a billion dollars in the lottery I would buy Colt and reintroduce the Python, Diamondback and Detective Special.

I figure I could afford to keep it going for 5 years.

6. DPris

DPris

Doesn't matter in the slightest what S&W is doing.
    They're not building old Colt V-spring guns.
    Denis

Bill Keith, JMag and Vodoun da Vinci like this.
  7. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Is that a real issue when software operated machines do all the work?

Also, the Colt Trooper MkIII had a coil spring if I remember right.

8. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

I carried a Colt DS for 20 years while with the NYPD. I like the handgun, although I do prefer the S&W action's feel. When carrying a small revolver I carry my S&W 642 now. I "suspect" that if Colt could find a way to manufacture a revolver of the same basic pattern as the Detective Special/Cobra/Agent, the handgun would do well in the market. Perhaps if Colt engineers went to a coil mainspring and a few other internal modifications, both for ease of manufacture as well as to give the handgun a better "feel."

The ground down escutcheon was to facilitate the use of a speed loader. The ratty looking finish is part Teflon and part blued barrel, which I had a dept pistolsmith put on the handgun shortly after the heavy barrels came out. Oh, and the sharp ends of the hammer were smoothed over using a rouge wheel.
    [​IMG]

Bill Keith, Fox, MSP Sarge and 6 others like this.
  9. DPris

DPris

Yes, it's a real issue.

CNC can neither do all the work nor bring back that design.
    An expensive gun to build today, if you expect the same quality.
    Denis

APERS likes this.
  10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

How about if Smith or Ruger made a 6 shot j frame size .38/.357 snubby, would that do it?

I like my 642, but would consider a 6 shot version, with better sights :)

Macc283 likes this.
  11. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

I still have mine from my time with the NYPD. Always loved that little wheel gun. It wasn't nearly as harsh to fire as the S&W. Won't be selling it any time soon.

12. Vodoun da Vinci

Vodoun da Vinci

I inherited a Colt DS from my FIL. I have a lot of revolvers including a Ruger LCR and an S&W M19. There is no way to CNC build a new Colt DS and make it like the old gun...Like my old Colt 903 Pocket Hammerless (I have 4 of them) and the new ones just released. It's over....those days are over. Buy the originals.

I bought a Colt 1903 built in 1923, had it tricked by hand by an expert and refinished in hard chrome, trigger and action job, new high performance springs....all done by hand on an original gun. The result is tight, beautiful, functional...almost perfect for about $1000 invested. The brand new built 1903 Pocket Hammerless are junk compared to the gun I had rebuilt. I have shot them....4 of 'em.

At $2000+? Buy the old ones and have 'em fixed up as the new ones will never rival the fit and functionality. It's over. There won't be any new Colt Detective Specials like the old/original ones. Those days, those skills, that era, is over never to return.

VooDoo

13. bac1023

bac1023

I don't want Colt bringing back any of those classics. There are plenty of used models on the market.

14. JMag

JMag

Love mine. No Smith can touch it, IMO.[​IMG]

----------------------
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.--Sir Winston Churchill

Mark2Glock and Lt. Donn like this.
  15. CAcop

CAcop

I regret not picking up one of the last ones made when I got hired. I picked up a 642 before the locks so I didn't do too bad I guess.

16. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

They can't make it better than S&W, they can't make it cheaper than S&W, therefore an inferior overpriced wheelgun product would drag them down.

17. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

+1 I concur with your philosophy. The beautifully crafted handguns (and long arms) of the past are, for all practical purposes, gone. There are some excellent handguns being made, but of a different nature. I like how you've reworked that Colt pocket pistol (Pocket Hammerless), one of my favorite designs.

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

I never really quite warmed up to the cylinder release of a Colt. But I would admit the Detective Special seems to beat the size of snubby K frames. I wonder how much a new Detective Special would cost today. But sometimes I wonder what a new third generation S&W pistol would cost today.

I do not think a small 9 mm revolver would be popular today as a back up, as the 940 was never especially popular and there were a lot fewer 9 mm choices that could be concealed on the ankle back then.

19. DPris

DPris

A new DS to old quality standards would be priced above what most would be willing to pay.
    Denis

20. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Isn't someone making a near copy of the detective special now? Remember a thread on it, but forgot who it was.