Colt Series 70 slide frozen

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by sdsnet, Jul 4, 2020.

1. screwman

screwman

Well, excuse me!

OP, just spray some WD in it and tap it apart.

2. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I immersed one side for 24 hours so far, I will flip it over tomorrow. I had placed a good amount along the edges of the slide a couple times on each side but was not able to free it by hand, carefully ensuring the slide stop is completely out of the way. I'm taking my time and being careful.

This pistol has never been broken in fully. After it was purchased I believe we visited the range three times and at most 300 rounds fired in total. The rest of the time it has been stored in the original box locked in a gun cabinet. Lesson learned, purchase gun oil with any new steel pistol, especially a 1911. We were just browsing that day and he mentioned the Colt he carried in the Navy. I asked them if they had a series 70 and once he saw how closely it resembled the pistol he carried in the Navy he would not give it back and he bought it.

I want to ensure it is fixed properly so he and I can take it to the range again continue the break in process!

I'm trying to remember the name of the guy with over 137 1911's in his collection (at that time) and a few Korth revolvers. He was one of the top posters in the 1911 forum when Eric still ran this site. He started his own gun forum, was it 1911fanatics ? He is a nice guy, very knowlegeable but I don't remember his handle. He created a fantastic 1911 vendor list with detailed reviews.

Colt series 70.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020

3. Finestkind

Finestkind

I am not an 1911 expert at all but do have a couple. I am having a hard time believing the Slide it seized up due to corrosion. I would think possibly some type of mechanical problem. Not sure what though. It looks in really good shape in the pic posted.

Finestkind

4. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

I've never seen anyone use that much Kroil. :D Please remember Kroil is flammable. Like others I just can't believe the slide is frozen to the frame. Maybe it is? However, if is not slide to frame corrosion what else would cause it to lock-up.

What lock-up really means is the barrel lugs won't release from the lug slide cuts. Why not? Normally, pulling the slide rearward causes the barrel to drop down out of the barrel cuts. The barrel link in conjunction with the slide stop pulls the barrel down out of the slide lug cuts. If it is not slide frame corrosion I'm betting on something related to the barrel link (link pin). I had a Colt Lightweight Officers that broke the barrel link. The trick was to push down on the barrel hood while simultaneously pulling the side rearward. Real PITA - but got it apart.

Please keep us posted. Good luck!.

sdsnet likes this.
  5. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

The wifes pyrex.'08. :faint:

sdsnet, pgg00 and faawrenchbndr like this.
  6. screwman

screwman

Toocool45 likes this.
  7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Bac1023

sdsnet and pgg00 like this.
  8. Bradley T

Bradley T

Dang, I'm gonna rack the slide on mine soon as I get home. I put it away pretty "wet" though.

9. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Kroil smells great. I have a pint of the liquid and several cans of spray kroil.

Glolt20-91 and faawrenchbndr like this.
  10. MajorD

MajorD

Cock the hammer. Remove the recoil spring bushing recoil spring plug. Hit the muzzle end in the area usually occupied by the recoil spring with a rubber mallet or wooden stick and it should pop right open

sdsnet, musicman10_1 and FullClip like this.
  11. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

8E9870D1-0867-4BC6-83DC-23A37D499C7D.jpeg The slide freed up after immersing each side for 24 hours. Next I will deal with the light rust that’s visible. Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

Glolt20-91, pgg00, porschedog and 2 others like this.
  12. nugnuts

nugnuts

take it apart for cleaning . Somthing is put together wrong.

sdsnet, banger and FullClip like this.
  13. Tbags

Tbags

[QUOTE="sdsnet, post: 29240836, member: The slide freed up after immersing each side for 24 hours. Next I will deal with the light rust that’s visible. Thank you all for your help and suggestions![/QUOTE]

Good, kroil will help with light rust with a little bit of bronze/copper wool 0000, don't use steel wool on it as some may end up suggesting. Stroke the wool with the existing grain and it should remove any light rust and not harm the bluing.

sdsnet likes this.
  14. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Glad it's moving again. Hope we get a report after the pistol is stripped and cleaned and tested. I still have a hard time believing the slide and frame rusted together from the original pics.

Intolerant, sdsnet, pgg00 and 3 others like this.
  15. stonesfan99

stonesfan99

I have a small spot of rust on the inside of my Colt S70 slide. Mine's a new one too, not old. Never seized up on me but I definitely wouldn't buy another Colt again. Extractor lost tension under 500 rounds too and I had a fun little adventure learning how to fit and tune up a Wilson Bulletproof one for it. Now it mostly works as long as I use NIB ammo.

sdsnet likes this.
  16. banger

banger

Wait... I don't get it.

You buy a blued steel gun.... fail to do proper maintenance... get rust...
    and it's Colt's fault??????

Pardon me, but that is fuzzy logic.

sdsnet, Toocool45 and rogn like this.
  17. tango44

tango44

Take off the grips and dunk it in a ton of WD40:
    [​IMG]

18. stonesfan99

stonesfan99

Oh this gun was kept well-oiled. Noticed some brown crap on the slide rails and thought it might just be stuff it is stored in still on there. Cleaned it out nice and it had a small rust spot on the inside of the slide rail. Doesn't seem to be spreading so I'm not worrying about it. Will end up trading this gun up at some point anyway as I liked the Springfield Loaded better.

19. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

The pistol has been disassembled, cleaned and reassembled and lubricated. It appears whatever assembly lube had dried out or something. I'm not sure how long the pistol sat on the shelf before we purchased it. I'm taking it to the range this afternoon!

20. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

You're assuming the bluing was done properly. I wouldn't.