Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a rather recent SN, GV0215xx. The story goes it was with others at the Custom shop when CZ bought Colt. It never got the custom engraving, sights are not installed. The price is around $1k, NIB, OTD, sights installed.

I have heard good things about the ‘series 70’.

I’m light with 1911’s anyway, some say the PT1911 doesn’t count?

Just looking for opinions.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
This is a rather recent SN, GV0215xx. The story goes it was with others at the Custom shop when CZ bought Colt. It never got the custom engraving, sights are not installed. The price is around $1k, NIB, OTD, sights installed.

I have heard good things about the ‘series 70’.

I’m light with 1911’s anyway, some say the PT1911 doesn’t count?

Just looking for opinions.
What’s the actual model number? It should start with “O”. Pictures also would help.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Colt manuals for the series 70 and some O prefix guns are written like the thread title. That is not the specific model. But yes with that serial GV, it is a recent reproduction series 70 or classic.

Edit: saw the pic. That looks like a stainless classic (O1911CSS) that didn't get rollmarked.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Have you looked up O1911C-SSZ? I don't know if that custom shop story checks out. Not a bad price though.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
The blued "re-introduced" recent production MKIV Series 70 was O1911A1CS, with the CS suffix designating the custom shop. One of the distinctions of the model - both old & new - is the takedown notch is in a different spot than recent production pistols, just like the old MKIV. That's not the only difference, but it's easy to spot without taking the pistol apart, or even handling it. There's also no 10mm cut in the frame but, obviously, you can't see that with the pistol assembled.

You can clearly see the different location of the takedown notch in this photo. I don't know what that pistol is, but it's not a MKIV/S70. It may indeed be a Series 70 firing setup instead of a Series 80, but it's not a MKIV.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

[EDIT]
Also, the mainspring housing is steel & arched
[/EDIT}

·
Daca is caca
3,903 Posts
There was some on gunbroker recently for around $800 iirc

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I’ll still make do with it. I’ll have it in a few days. I’m not worried about any story behind it. Just branching out from the smallish, CC handguns. I’m also awash in deer rifles.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I don’t have possession yet, the sights are being installed.
You go bro! Hope you get a good shooter there. Let’s hope Colt can get it back together. I have seen the best and the worst of them.
They have the recipe… just make it like they can!

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I’ve heard good & bad. What will matter to me is my own testing. I have a fair amount of reloads around, range then a bit higher velocity HP’s.

Now where was that vertical shoulder holster I’m checking out? El Paso?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Ok, I’ll still make do with it. I’ll have it in a few days. I’m not worried about any story behind it. Just branching out from the smallish, CC handguns. I’m also awash in deer rifles.
If I were to come across one of those in blued, I’d buy it and send it to Turnbull for some engraving and charcoal blued finish.

·
Patrol Corporal
1,331 Posts
I have a stainless steel series 70 Colt reproduction and the serial number starts with 71Bxxxx. I think I got it 10 or so years ago and paid somewhere between $900 & $1,000.
My understanding at that time was that Colt made or was making their repros in batches of 4,000. I think this was the case for the M1911A1 and M1911 they made. I bought the series 70 because it was very close to 4000 and I thought it would be cool to have one made near the end of the run. That wasn’t the case and I am happy they continue to make it til this day. Long live the series 70 action.
(I have one of the 1911A1s and I am very impressed with it. I am very happy with the series 70 repro as well. I wish I had bought one of the M1911 WW1 repros as well.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts